All ages version?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
bitpeg
Posts: 200
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 11:54 pm

Re: All ages version?

Post by bitpeg » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:32 am

Caesius wrote: Fuck that, chocolate milk is the manliest drink there is.
*Ahem*
Attachments
moxie1.jpg
moxie1.jpg (37.31 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
These fermions smell positively ionic.

User avatar
SirMax
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: MANLY LAND, HOME OF WHISKEY

Re: All ages version?

Post by SirMax » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:34 am

Actually, come to think of it, the only way ANYONE will find this is if they stumble onto it during computer repair. So if you install it without hentai and delete the installer, no one will find it. Random PC world employees don't actually have the authority to de-erase everything you've ever overwritten in a one man quest to prove you almost installed something that was questionably legal...
Image

User avatar
Caesius
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 3:15 pm
Contact:

Re: All ages version?

Post by Caesius » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:42 am

Or if you're writing a book about how to hack fictional computers.

I think anyone who wants to be paranoid about what their government thinks of their masturbation habits has every right to be.
Image

berserker29
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 11:05 pm

Re: Jesus...

Post by berserker29 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:58 pm

Synoptic wrote:
berserker29 wrote:people like me get exited and want to share this experience with their friends and family.
Dat's cool so what's stopping you, showing the full game to your family/friends?
Maybe the 2nd part of my post?
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
berserker29 wrote:The game becomes a lot easier to recommend to people IRL if you can show them a version WITHOUT cripple porn.
No, it's actualy quite easy.
Recommend it to wise people/people with brains, not stupid people who would go "OMFG YOU LIEK CRIPLE PR0N, YOU RETARD PIECE OF SICK F0CK!" when you tell them what is it about. :lol:

And make sure you say something wise, not, "hey I have a cool game with cripple pr0n".
Say something like, "wanna read and play an insightfull visual novel about the life of a crippled teenager with it's ups and downs?".
I find the introduction on the website to be a very good one:
Website Introduction wrote:Katawa Shoujo is a bishoujo-style visual novel set in the fictional Yamaku High School for disabled children, located somewhere in modern Japan. Hisao Nakai, a normal boy living a normal life, has his life turned upside down when a congenital heart defect forces him to move to a new school after a long hospitalization. Despite his difficulties, Hisao is able to find friends—and perhaps love, if he plays his cards right.
See that's a very good intro. :]
And people who only read that have no reason not to be surprised by cripple-porn if that is the only thing they read.

Pretend for half a minute that you're capable of having friends and family who might be women, or maybe aren't 18 yet. Think sisters, female friends, I ASSUME you have a mother.

Since you obviously have no problem with the people you hold close questioning your masturbation habits, by all means, please burn a copy of the full version (whenever it comes out) and hand it out to everyone you know.

To save time, you may as well staple a sign to your forehead with the words "THIS IS WHAT I BEAT OFF TO", because that's what they're all going to think about you after playing the game anyway.

The point I was trying to get across was that the story is good enough, that it can appeal to more than the "18-30 year-old-lonely-bachelor-who-can-only-be-friends-with-other-18-30 year-old-lonely-bachelors" category that the game was originally targeted at, IF it had an all ages version.

As far as legality goes, they just need to add a disclaimer like other game developers/translators like:

DISCLAIMER: ALL CHARACTERS IN THIS GAME ARE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER, EVEN IF OTHERWISE STATED.

Or something to that effect.
Image
2xCPU version, 1xPS3, 1xGTX 260

vermithrx
Posts: 189
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 9:45 pm
Location: Ohio, U.S.A.

Re: Jesus...

Post by vermithrx » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:10 pm

berserker29 wrote:To save time, you may as well staple a sign to your forehead with the words "THIS IS WHAT I BEAT OFF TO", because that's what they're all going to think about you after playing the game anyway.
Only if you tell them, incorrectly, that that is what the game was made for. Besides, who will really care that a game you recommend has a few explicit, well written sex scenes near the end if it has an equally well written and engaging story? They'll most likely either be too drawn into the characters and plot to notice or, if it isn't the kind of thing they like, they'll get bored with it long before any sex occurs.

People are generally too wrapped up in their own lives and insecurities to be actively prying into yours anyway, so why worry? Just point them to the download page and tell them its a simple game with a touching story that deals with complex social issues, and you think they'll like it or find it interesting. No need to spoil the experience of finding out for themselves by giving away more information than necessary to peak their interest. :twisted:
berserker29 wrote:The point I [am] trying to get across [is] that the story is good enough, that it can appeal to more than the "18-30 year-old-lonely-bachelor-who-can-only-be-friends-with-other-18-30 year-old-lonely-bachelors" category that the game was originally targeted at, [whether or not it has] an all ages version.
Edited to turn your words into mine. The original scentence did more to undermine your point than support it anyway.

User avatar
Caesius
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 3:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Jesus...

Post by Caesius » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:16 pm

berserker29 wrote:DISCLAIMER: ALL CHARACTERS IN THIS GAME ARE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER, EVEN IF OTHERWISE STATED.
So does this mean gangrape videos can get away with a disclaimer saying that all sexual acts are consensual even if stated otherwise?
Image

Hypothermia
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:11 pm

Re: All ages version?

Post by Hypothermia » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:29 pm

Isn't there fake rape porn? Like, live-action Western fake rape porn? I assume it's the same thing.

User avatar
Caesius
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 3:15 pm
Contact:

Re: All ages version?

Post by Caesius » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:56 pm

Hypothermia wrote:Isn't there fake rape porn? Like, live-action Western fake rape porn? I assume it's the same thing.
Pretty sure there's Western countries where even fake rape porn is illegal and that adding a disclaimer saying it isn't rape porn when the girl is crying and screaming and getting beat up ain't gonna make it legal
Image

berserker29
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 11:05 pm

Re: Jesus...

Post by berserker29 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:02 pm

Caesius wrote:
berserker29 wrote:DISCLAIMER: ALL CHARACTERS IN THIS GAME ARE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER, EVEN IF OTHERWISE STATED.
So does this mean gangrape videos can get away with a disclaimer saying that all sexual acts are consensual even if stated otherwise?
I was serious about a disclaimer, but my example was more of a joke about what professional disclaimers boil down to.

Here's a disclaimer from the splash screen of MangaGamer's KIRAKIRA:

Image

That should be pretty close.
Image
2xCPU version, 1xPS3, 1xGTX 260

User avatar
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer
Posts: 1508
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:10 am
Location: Australia

Re: All ages version?

Post by Suriko » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:37 pm

1. What others think of you for playing a game where you have sex with disabled girls is not our problem.

2. We will not be putting in any disclaimers, because your local laws regarding porn are not our problem.

I'm locking this because, simply put, we will not be moving on this issue. There will be a checkbox in the options menu for the game to automatically skip erotic content. This will not be the optimal reading experience, and is as much of a compromise as we are willing to make for those that are iffy about romantic sex.

Locked