Hype

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

G3n0c1de

Re: Hype

Post by G3n0c1de »

Guest Poster wrote:It's definitely possible to overhype a free game. It happened before. Just because people haven't paid money for something doesn't mean they can't be disappointed with it. If people had certain expectations and then you artificially raise those expectations with a PR surge (including stuff like teasers, countdowns and interviews/articles on other sites) up to a point where those expectations cannot realistically be met by the game itself, you've overhyped it.
True. Just looking at all the posts of people losing their shit because a goddamn artbook is coming out in another country tells me at least a few people will be disappointed by the full release.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Jolon

Post by Jolon »

I think emotional investment can exceed economic investment in terms of it's significance, sure. If people didn't think so, why would they ever buy games in the first place?

I think it's possible to be overhyped. I would readily concede i'm extremely hyped; I can't stop checking the blog for updates, even though I know that the latter half of December is probably the most likely release time. As it is, however, I have such faith in the developers and their work that I think it will more than match my expectations, and be something incredible that was worth the wait. Why expect less from a labour of love made by talented people?
Palas

Post by Palas »

I'm a die-hard classic Sonic fan. I'm WELL used to getting disappointed after the hype.
While we are here discussing, Hanako is somewhere hopping from dark to darker tiles. Alone.
Yubiseiharukana

Post by Yubiseiharukana »

G3n0c1de wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:It's definitely possible to overhype a free game. It happened before. Just because people haven't paid money for something doesn't mean they can't be disappointed with it. If people had certain expectations and then you artificially raise those expectations with a PR surge (including stuff like teasers, countdowns and interviews/articles on other sites) up to a point where those expectations cannot realistically be met by the game itself, you've overhyped it.
True. Just looking at all the posts of people losing their shit because a goddamn artbook is coming out in another country tells me at least a few people will be disappointed by the full release.
Seriously, people will never be satisfied as a consensus.
Palas wrote:I'm a die-hard classic Sonic fan. I'm WELL used to getting disappointed after the hype.
:lol: True dat. At least Generations was good! There is hope for that franchise!
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."
- Emo Philips
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Seems kinda strange to talk about KS being overhyped, as it started out with the anti-hype reputation as "a game by 4chan about fucking crippled girls," which just makes the game seem all the better when you go into it with such low expectations. So the reverse can be true.
Not Fuming in Texas

Post by Not Fuming in Texas »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:Seems kinda strange to talk about KS being overhyped, as it started out with the anti-hype reputation as "a game by 4chan about fucking crippled girls," which just makes the game seem all the better when you go into it with such low expectations. So the reverse can be true.
Oh sweet Jesus this.

A friend had been ranting about KS for days when I finally told her to explain it more to me. The moment she mentioned 4chan, I sort of rolled my eyes and smirked. "Oh, you're one of those people..." I thought. In the 2+ years since I gave in and looked into it there's rarely been a day I didn't check the DevBlog at least once (usually more than that).
Acidhedz

Post by Acidhedz »

Yukimi wrote:The only type I felt dissapointed because of over expectancy was with the Blair Witch Project but it was because of the people praising once and again and then when I got around to watch it I had so huge expectatives of it because of what I was been told that it was impossible for the film to meassure up. It ended up being a huge disspointment. Granted I was only 11 at the time iirc.
The only feeling I got out of that movie was nausea.

"I have a great idea! Let's have some jackasses run around the woods with a camera that has no motion control for 2 hours and call it a horror movie!"

"What, Blair witch project, hell I vomited when I saw that movie, man."
"That gorey huh?"
"Ha, I wish! It was motion sickness man, there's hardly a shot of the movie where the camera isn't bouncing around like a kangaroo on crack!"

The faux-documentary that was shown on sci-fi was way more scary than the movie could ever hope to be.

On topic... I've only been waiting about a year or so and I didn't get all that into it till a couple of months ago, so as long as the writing is consistent and to the same level as the demo I will like it fine. Considering the time they have taken I don't see them putting out anything they aren't totally chill with. They are the Peter Gabriel of VN's. It may take awhile, but it's always worth the wait.
blackrising

Post by blackrising »

Well, I'm not saying there's no possibility of me being disappointed, because, let's face it, all of us who have followed the production of KS for a longer period of time have certain expectations, either set by the demo or, even worse, by some of the fanart and fan speculation. Naturally, not everything is going to turn out how we want it to.
Hell, I was already disappointed when I found out there would be no Misha path. I was disappointed when I found out Hideaki is not a girl. I was disappointed by a lot of smaller stuff I can't and don't care to remember. The point is, I got over it, as did most of the other fans. Of course there will be people who are gonna bitch and rant because it's not what they expected, but that happens in every fandom.

I'll try to go in with a clear slate, so to speak, without expecting too much. I played the demo with absolutely no knowledge about the project beforehand and it was an amazing experience. Sure I won't be able to copy that experience, not with all the speculation I did and all the passion I feel for the characters, but I'll give my best to focus on what is good and not on what I would have liked to be different.

I trust the devs. If the game turns out to be everything I've dreamed of, hell to the yes, and if not, well, at least I got some closure, can close that chapter of my life, and at least appreciate all the work everyone has put into making this game.
Misha worshipper to the core. WAHAHAHA~

Misha>Rin=Hanako=Lilly>>Shizune>Emi

Since I was no bigger than a weavil they've been saying I was evil
That if "bad" was a boot that I'd fit it
That I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately
O fuck it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

I generally try to avoid making unnecessary assumptions about anything without reasonable cause. It generally seems like a good life policy in my opinion. That said, I was a bit spoiled by the quality of writing and art of Act 1, and so if the rest of the game is somehow (and I am not saying there is any reason to believe it will be) of significantly lower quality, I will be rather disappointed. That would not, however, be due to the byproduct of hype.

If you feel you are in danger of getting over hyped, play through Act 1 again, then mull over any assumptions and see if they are reasonable based on only what you saw in Act 1. It is the only yardstick we have at the moment, any assumption not based on it, or actual dev announcements, is pointless hype and expectation
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey
Fono

Post by Fono »

Every time a new season of anime comes out I completely destroy a show or two by, you know, looking into it and hyping it up for myself... But not with KS! It's a little too late to refrain from looking into it... in a big way... but I can force myself to have low to no expectations, simply for the sake of making it more enjoyable.
Why is the sake always gone?
Erybis

Post by Erybis »

Is this old enough to be considered necro'ed?
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Erybis wrote:Is this old enough to be considered necro'ed?
After 1 week? I'd say not. The topic still is relevant with the full release comnig soon.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Erybis

Post by Erybis »

Fono wrote:Every time a new season of anime comes out I completely destroy a show or two by, you know, looking into it and hyping it up for myself... But not with KS! It's a little too late to refrain from looking into it... in a big way... but I can force myself to have low to no expectations, simply for the sake of making it more enjoyable.
Are you kidding? I have zero expectations on how good this will be. It really helps keep the blues away when you're never let down.
Priest

Post by Priest »

Erybis wrote:
Fono wrote:Every time a new season of anime comes out I completely destroy a show or two by, you know, looking into it and hyping it up for myself... But not with KS! It's a little too late to refrain from looking into it... in a big way... but I can force myself to have low to no expectations, simply for the sake of making it more enjoyable.
Are you kidding? I have zero expectations on how good this will be. It really helps keep the blues away when you're never let down.
aiih kinda like when your searching for a job if you dont expect to get it you wont be disapointed.. lord knows that ive bin there.. so now its a reflex to just not expect anything... kinda sad aint it
In case of war hide in the trash can. it allways makes it unscratched somehow
Erybis

Post by Erybis »

Priest wrote:
Erybis wrote:
aiih kinda like when your searching for a job if you dont expect to get it you wont be disapointed.. lord knows that ive bin there.. so now its a reflex to just not expect anything... kinda sad aint it
Not really. Besides, jobs just seem to fall onto my lap. Plus, people that live near me enjoy and want weed once in a while. So, I'm happy.