Regarding Emi

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

G3n0c1de

Re: Regarding Emi

Post by G3n0c1de »

Brogurt, you're right, in a way. I don't have much base for my assumptions of who Emi and Hanako were before their respective accidents. I just find these to be plausible, and thus use them in my characterizations. With just act 1 to go off of, we won't know for sure. These characters could be written any number of different ways and they could be explained as correct.

I'm a bit more confident in my assessment of Emi's character. I think that having a strong personality before her accident would make her rehab process easier.

It's Hanako that's more likely to have changed drastically. The fire probably overwrote any personality she had before. But I see her as someone who was a bit introverted before the fire, and this was taken to an extreme afterward. Obviously, she wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as she has it now. I just picture her as a normal, shy girl. But it's also really easy to think that any introversion she has is a result of her trauma.

Personally, I don't like to think of the Emi and Hanako's accidents as 'reset buttons' on their old personalities. I don't want their disabilities to be the sole reason they are who they are today. I'm the type who thinks that if the girls didn't have their disabilities, they'd remain mostly the same. Hanako is the exception, I'd argue that she is the one who's disability affects her the most functionally, and emotionally. All of the other girls have learned to cope, and even thrive with theirs. Hanako wallows in a pit of depression she can't climb out of.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

G3n0c1de wrote:The fire probably overwrote any personality she had before.
G3n0c1de wrote:Personally, I don't like to think of the Emi and Hanako's accidents as 'reset buttons' on their old personalities.
I cannot comprehend what this means.
Worthington

Post by Worthington »

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought the fire happened when Hanako was very young. Children at that age don't have much of a personality beyond "childish".
Got my feet in the air and my head on the ground.

Kenji=Rin>Akira>Hideaki>Hachisame>Lilly>Takashi>Miki>Emi>Nurse>Misha>Mutou>Shizune>Yuuko>Nomiya>Hanako

Worthington's Wondrous Writeshop
Magnesium Ninja Studios
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Brogurt wrote:I cannot comprehend what this means.
I make an exception in Hanako's case. Her personality is tied to her disability much more so than Emi's.
Worthington wrote:Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought the fire happened when Hanako was very young. Children at that age don't have much of a personality beyond "childish".
I think she was like 12 or so when it happened. We don't know specifically.

[shimmie]1610[/shimmie]
I know the Shimmie can't be taken as canon, but Weee is Hanako's artist, if anyone knows when she got burned, it's her.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
ozg82889

Post by ozg82889 »

Brogurt wrote:This might mean making her someone who flaunted her physical superiority before being taken down a notch so she can see what it's like not to be #1.
when i read this i imagined her classmates beating on her legs with bats and stuff. probably makes me a bad person.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

G3n0c1de wrote:I know the Shimmie can't be taken as canon, but Weee is Hanako's artist, if anyone knows when she got burned, it's her.
I'd say, her path writer would know best, but the point is moot as neither of the two is talking ;-)
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Mirage_GSM wrote:I'd say, her path writer would know best, but the point is moot as neither of the two is talking ;-)
I agree. Crud knows best. But really, this is stuff that I'd think most of the dev team knows as well.
Worthington

Post by Worthington »

See, they're all setting us up for the twist.
There was no Hanako before the fire. The fire created Hanako. In a way, I suppose you could say the fire is Hanako's father.
Search your feelings, you know this to be true.
Got my feet in the air and my head on the ground.

Kenji=Rin>Akira>Hideaki>Hachisame>Lilly>Takashi>Miki>Emi>Nurse>Misha>Mutou>Shizune>Yuuko>Nomiya>Hanako

Worthington's Wondrous Writeshop
Magnesium Ninja Studios
Limbless

Post by Limbless »

Worthington wrote:See, they're all setting us up for the twist.
There was no Hanako before the fire. The fire created Hanako. In a way, I suppose you could say the fire is Hanako's father.
Search your feelings, you know this to be true.
NO... IT'S NOT TRUE... THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE
DESU

Post by DESU »

I'm not sure about Emi's case (in terms of the medical procedures), but there may be alot more to her story.

Granted this is a different cause entirely that ended up in a similar situation (as far as I know, they never tell exactly how Emi lost her legs), but there could be some similarities. A friend of my dad's broke his heel, but it caused a massive infection that eventually caused him to have to have his leg amputated right below the knee, but every few days (I think he said every 2 days) he has to go in for them to to all kinda of tests, mainly blood tests to make sure that the infection has indeed stopped, though they also check to make sure that the bone that they cut off as well as everything at the point of amputation is healing properly, and that no more damage is occurring.

But this is taking into account that I have very little details about her surgery including what caused her legs to be amputated in the first place, even how long ago the accident happened.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
JimBobRedneck

Post by JimBobRedneck »

DESU wrote:as far as I know, they never tell exactly how Emi lost her legs
I'm pretty sure it was stated that Emi's legs had to be amputated as the result of a car crash.

Edit:
Found this from the character descriptions on the main site - "Not one to be left in despair even after the accident that claimed her legs"
And this from Raita's original artwork - "Has two artificial legs ever since a traffic accident as a kid."
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Depending on if that image was conserved (I may have to read through the old posts to find out how much that was true), the accident taking place 'when she was a kid' could potentially blow a rather large hole theory of her being there for rehab initially, unless kid is played rather loosely or the rehab part took a while. Or if normal high schools got annoying enough about letting her on their track teams/she was still building back up to that, I suppose.

I wonder, is there any information on what grade levels this school handles?
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

They have changed plenty of things from the raita sketch. For example, Rin isn't really a thalidomyde girl anymore; she had surgery to cut her arms to make a clean stump. Also, Hanako has in fact smiled at something since the fire. She smiles multiple times during act 1. And each time is awesome.

Also, it says you'd be able to customize your uniform to an extent. Unless that's something that we'll actually be seeing in the full game.Because what we really need is for the artists to all have to make a bunch of extra cgs and for delta to have to do more coding
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Ahh yes, thanks. Really should've caught that. At any rate, it looks like it's probably a good thing they're no following it verbatim; Hanako (and serious spoilers had that held) aside, some of that could have been rather restrictive from a temporal standpoint.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Tempest wrote:I wonder, is there any information on what grade levels this school handles?
Afaik it is never stated explicitly, but considering the size of the school in general and the variety of projects for the festival in particular and given that there are only four classes of third year High school, it is all but certain that there is at least a middle school branch at Yamaku, probably some elementary school as well.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.