~ What does this mean

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Jmacaroo

~ What does this mean

Post by Jmacaroo »

Misha constantly uses this, and I could never figure out why. I figure it's not a typo since the game has very few of those and it happens constantly. Then I thought it might let you tell between when its Misha's thoughts and Shizune's thoughts, but that didn't end up making sense. SO WHAT DOES THE TILDE MEAN? Help me out here!
Kantaro

Re: ~ What does this mean

Post by Kantaro »

I guess this means Misha speaks with a too loud, too high-pitched voice.

Something insupportable, but fortunately the game is not dubbed. :)
Polydunami

Post by Polydunami »

You mean not voiced, right? Because there are no Japanese voices to be dubbed.
I like being funny. Now if only I had the talent for it...

Current opinion of the five main girls:

Shizune > Lilly > Hanako > Rin > Emi
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

From what I've seen, it's supposed to make it sound more cute. Like

nyoro~n

or

AM I KAWAII? UGUU~
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

I think it stands for speaking in a melodic way. A plain "Hello" becomes "Hello~o". You speak it as if you're singing.
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
Jmacaroo

Post by Jmacaroo »

Well, I guess that makes sense, definitely not something I've ever come across before. Misha is very strange.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

It was originally used in Japanese dialogue to indicate that something's being said in a melodic tone, which is usually just used for flavor but sometimes even affects meaning (うん="yeah" vs う~ん="nope"). Since there's no particular equivalent in English, translators have tended to leave it in. These days, English speakers of a more weeabish inclination use it to make something more cute or playful sounding, regardless of tone (meaning it doesn't necessarily have any effect on how something is actually said). Kind of like a more subtle version of a smiley face.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Yukimi

Post by Yukimi »

Csihar wrote:It was originally used in Japanese dialogue to indicate that something's being said in a melodic tone, which is usually just used for flavor but sometimes even affects meaning (うん="yeah" vs う~ん="nope"). Since there's no particular equivalent in English, translators have tended to leave it in. These days, English speakers of a more weeabish inclination use it to make something more cute or playful sounding, regardless of tone (meaning it doesn't necessarily have any effect on how something is actually said). Kind of like a more subtle version of a smiley face.
Something like that but it also means to enlongate the sound. For example, in the above Yep/Nope Yes would be UN and Nope would be UUN. In Misha's laugh it could serve to indicate, apart that the laugh is/might be melodical, that it goes on. I don't know if I'm expressing myself right... but that's mroe or less what I was told.

BTW, not related but as medical advancements have always been an interest in the community (although this doesn't affect our girls directly), a seemingly viable HIV-B vaccine is in the works and the test results are very positive: http://alturl.com/4z9ra (Text in Spanish).
Shizune=Akira > Lilly > Emi > Hanako > Rin (but all of them have a place in my heart and some other more interesting locations XP).
Limbless

Post by Limbless »

that boy needs therapy
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Polydunami wrote:You mean not voiced, right? Because there are no Japanese voices to be dubbed.
Why Japanese? KS is an English original VN, so if anything there are no English voices to be dubbed.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Normal Deviant

Post by Normal Deviant »

Aren't semantics fun?
Break a leg.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Polydunami wrote:You mean not voiced, right? Because there are no Japanese voices to be dubbed.
Why Japanese? KS is an English original VN, so if anything there are no English voices to be dubbed.
Polydunami is saying that there's no Japanese voices to be dubbed over with English ones. He's pointing out that Kantaro's use of the term 'dubbed' is misplaced, because dubbing implies that KS would be originally in Japanese. He's saying that if the game were voiced, then this issue may come up, as it would be in English, and there's no real equivalent of ~ in English.

So... you two might be saying the same thing.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

I thought it was to show some of the Devs are Australians...

Waltzing Ma~, Waltzing Ma~
You'll come a-Waltzing Ma~ with me
Limbless

Post by Limbless »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:I thought it was to show some of the Devs are Australians...

Oh dear god
minkus

Post by minkus »

Merlyn_LeRoy wrote:I thought it was to show some of the Devs are Australians...

Tom Waits get out of my head!