Re: Parenting the girls

Post by Juno »

Disabled people are normal people. Peorth is an IRC admin. :lol:
Nizzy

Post by Nizzy »

"Disabled people are normal people. Peorth is an IRC admin."
IRC admin ~~ normal ... hmnnn ... ^^

I think the most "handicaps" are pretty irrelevant in question of parenting itself. Probably just trying to be a bit more sensitive towards the mood of one's daughter (or, shock, son), as bullying will most probably occur fairly more often (sad but true) - that said, i guess one should be sensitive to your children in anyway, so, again, the handicaps are mostly irrelevant.

However, i imagine Rin to have the most problems in ordinary day activities (e.g. "bathroom-stuff") so this would probably require some more open and caring parenting as usual. You know, just, be a helping hand a little more often... (yes, puns on a handicap are a totally p-c-way of parenting in a liberal house. I really pity any child that would happen to be mine in the future, handicapped or not. ^^")
Peorth
Zenryoku Zenkai!

Post by Peorth »

Juno wrote:Disabled people are normal people. Peorth is an IRC admin. :lol:
OHNOES, MY SECRET IS OUT!

Nizzy wrote:"Disabled people are normal people. Peorth is an IRC admin."
IRC admin ~~ normal ... hmnnn ... ^^

I think the most "handicaps" are pretty irrelevant in question of parenting itself. Probably just trying to be a bit more sensitive towards the mood of one's daughter (or, shock, son), as bullying will most probably occur fairly more often (sad but true) - that said, i guess one should be sensitive to your children in anyway, so, again, the handicaps are mostly irrelevant.

However, i imagine Rin to have the most problems in ordinary day activities (e.g. "bathroom-stuff") so this would probably require some more open and caring parenting as usual. You know, just, be a helping hand a little more often... (yes, puns on a handicap are a totally p-c-way of parenting in a liberal house. I really pity any child that would happen to be mine in the future, handicapped or not. ^^")
This, pretty much, I think.
Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stopped, the story will not end.

Whether it's a comedy or a tragedy, if there is cheering, the story will continue on.
Just like the many lives.
For the us who are still in it and still in the journey, send warm blessings.

---We will continue to walk down this path until eternity.
stateside

Post by stateside »

just a tad - for example for a blind person you don't move furniture around casually. If you remember when the lights are out and you feel for where you know things are you moved by touch. don't disrupt that.

but on the whole you don't change much. one of my buddies has a young daughter with fairly mild autism and we don't treat her a lot different than the other kids on the street but he does take care of her at home and hasn't sent her to a special facility like some of those up town who have more money and don't want their lives disrupted by the 'special needs' children they had.
Acidhedz

Post by Acidhedz »

Peorth wrote:Rule one, you don't use the word 'crippled' around them. We don't like that. We prefer 'handicapped'. That aside, speaking from experience, I'd say it's largely like raising a normal child, though school/etc will be different depending on the disability and if the parents want them integrated into a normal school/etc.
As a George Carlin fan I will have to go with him on this one. Handicapped doesn't mean anything. Crippled and disabled are honest, to the point, words and the only shame or insult they carry is in how one uses them, or perceives their use.

As for the rest, allowances are made for anything they might need, otherwise, treat them like anyone else.

As a manic-depressive (I will not call it bi-poler because that sounds like travel arrangements, not a problem) I can range from hyper talkative to not wanting to talk to anyone for days, mellow to the point of being emotionless to so agitated everything pisses me off. People around me have to deal with my mood shifts, otherwise I'm normal, aside from several social handicaps. Like Hanako but the scars are all psychological basically.

I sometimes wonder if I might not also have some form of aspergers since I tend to find it difficult to deal with people or relate to them, yet often find it easy to psychoanalyze them.
OneMore

Post by OneMore »

"Handicapped" is a politically correct wordcruft. You can use whatever words you need, as long as you are not insulting them and they know you are not trying to insult.
Lurchisme

Post by Lurchisme »

I'm going way off topic here, but I'm against being politically correct - both to your children, and to... well, most people. Some people deserve it. Wherever you call someone crippled or handicapped, African American or the N word, it becomes pretty clear pretty quickly whether your prejudiced against that group or not, no matter what word you use. If your politically correct with someone, it's a way of telling them you don't trust them enough not to take offense at what your saying. And if your careful and tiptoe around your newly disabled child, or friend, or whatever, the message your sending is their disability is something to be ashamed of.

I'm a huge fan of the 'harden the fuck up' parenting method.
scott1and

Post by scott1and »

Lurchisme wrote:I'm going way off topic here, but I'm against being politically correct - both to your children, and to... well, most people. Some people deserve it. Wherever you call someone crippled or handicapped, African American or the N word, it becomes pretty clear pretty quickly whether your prejudiced against that group or not, no matter what word you use. If your politically correct with someone, it's a way of telling them you don't trust them enough not to take offense at what your saying. And if your careful and tiptoe around your newly disabled child, or friend, or whatever, the message your sending is their disability is something to be ashamed of.

Wait, so your saying that if you had to chose between calling your kid a cripple or handicapped, you wouldn't care if it was the more offensive word or not?
Worthington

Post by Worthington »

scott1and wrote:
Lurchisme wrote:I'm going way off topic here, but I'm against being politically correct - both to your children, and to... well, most people. Some people deserve it. Wherever you call someone crippled or handicapped, African American or the N word, it becomes pretty clear pretty quickly whether your prejudiced against that group or not, no matter what word you use. If your politically correct with someone, it's a way of telling them you don't trust them enough not to take offense at what your saying. And if your careful and tiptoe around your newly disabled child, or friend, or whatever, the message your sending is their disability is something to be ashamed of.

Wait, so your saying that if you had to chose between calling your kid a cripple or handicapped, you wouldn't care if it was the more offensive word or not?
Yar, we be sailing tah murky watahs. Political correctness is a complex issue. All i'll say is that words have whatever meaning you ascribe to them, and if you're raising a kid, raising them to be less easily offended is never a bad thing. That said, I think you should parent a disabled child the same as any other, but since everyone has different parenting styles, what that counts as will be very different.
Got my feet in the air and my head on the ground.

Kenji=Rin>Akira>Hideaki>Hachisame>Lilly>Takashi>Miki>Emi>Nurse>Misha>Mutou>Shizune>Yuuko>Nomiya>Hanako

Worthington's Wondrous Writeshop
Magnesium Ninja Studios
scott1and

Post by scott1and »

Worthington wrote:Yar, we be sailing tah murky watahs..
This just made my day :mrgreen:
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Lurchisme wrote:If your politically correct with someone, it's a way of telling them you don't trust them enough not to take offense at what your saying.
So you're saying that you should call black people the N-word because it'll show them that you trust them to not get offended? No. They will get offended. For good reason. I can see exceptions if you actually know them well and it's okay with them, but if you're a stranger it's absolutely not a good idea.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
OneMore

Post by OneMore »

G3n0c1de wrote:So you're saying that you should call black people the N-word because it'll show them that you trust them to not get offended?
No, it means you can call them "black" rather than, say, "afro-americans".
Peorth
Zenryoku Zenkai!

Post by Peorth »

OneMore wrote:
G3n0c1de wrote:So you're saying that you should call black people the N-word because it'll show them that you trust them to not get offended?
Negroes.
Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stopped, the story will not end.

Whether it's a comedy or a tragedy, if there is cheering, the story will continue on.
Just like the many lives.
For the us who are still in it and still in the journey, send warm blessings.

---We will continue to walk down this path until eternity.
Worthington

Post by Worthington »

Peorth wrote:
OneMore wrote:
Negroes.
Homies
Got my feet in the air and my head on the ground.

Kenji=Rin>Akira>Hideaki>Hachisame>Lilly>Takashi>Miki>Emi>Nurse>Misha>Mutou>Shizune>Yuuko>Nomiya>Hanako

Worthington's Wondrous Writeshop
Magnesium Ninja Studios
scott1and

Post by scott1and »

Worthington wrote:
Peorth wrote:
OneMore wrote: No, it means you can call them "black" rather than, say, "afro-americans".
Negroes.
Homies
Human