Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
Guest

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:14 pm

@CindehQ; Guy who wrote the thing you quoted again here. I agree it could easily become boring-a danger of going that route is (as you point out) Manako could very easily come over as well adjusted. The trick would be getting the player to realise that he's stonewalling them by dodging and diverting their attentions instead of fleeing in the more physical sense of Hanako. Which would be a bitch to do. Your comparison to Hisao is interesting; I've actually been avoiding the demo deliberately (I'm an 'Everything or Nothing' person, what can I say) so I don't know how he interacts, so no comment beyond he's dropped into an unfamiliar world quite suddenly, and would try to find their bearings before really opening up to people, so it's more temporary in their case as opposed to this version of Manako's permanent defense mechanism. Of course, in the scope of the game they would overlap to an extent, as in the context of the game you only have the acts to work with an the content within them. Kindrid Spirits could work but that simply drags another cliche in to replace the Aloof/Angry loner instead.

User avatar
CindehQ
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 2:59 am

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by CindehQ » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:02 pm

Brogurt wrote:
CindehQ wrote:he's not out trying to join clubs or opening up about his insecurities.
I wouldn't say that. If you say you don't want to join the art club, you get a bad end. If you don't tell Lilly and Rin about your condition, you get a bad end.
M!Hanako confirmed for having no good ends.
Well with Art Club, he was asked if he wanted to join which is more like just going with the flow. That's a bit different from going out and actively asking if he can be in the club. It's true that you have to open up to Lilly and Rin about your condition, although that's only one of the paths, in other paths it's just Rin who knows.
I call my avatar Emiyagi.
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.

User avatar
Worthington
Posts: 236
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:20 pm
Location: The Grid
Contact:

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by Worthington » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:51 am

I have to say for Manako, I can picture him actually being very aggressive, not angry such, but a bit more like Shizune. Driven, forward, basically trying to 1-up himself because of his low self-esteem. He wouldn't open up to anyone however, he'd probably get bitches to show how awesome he is, but he'd never have any emotional connections. tl;dr always trying to prove to himself that he's "good enough".

Manzune would be a smug, charismatic, manipulative bastard, rather than the straight-forward brute-forcing juggernaut Shizune is.
Got my feet in the air and my head on the ground.

Kenji=Rin>Akira>Hideaki>Hachisame>Lilly>Takashi>Miki>Emi>Nurse>Misha>Mutou>Shizune>Yuuko>Nomiya>Hanako

Worthington's Wondrous Writeshop
Magnesium Ninja Studios

User avatar
CindehQ
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 2:59 am

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by CindehQ » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:05 am

Worthington wrote:I have to say for Manako, I can picture him actually being very aggressive, not angry such, but a bit more like Shizune. Driven, forward, basically trying to 1-up himself because of his low self-esteem. He wouldn't open up to anyone however, he'd probably get bitches to show how awesome he is, but he'd never have any emotional connections. tl;dr always trying to prove to himself that he's "good enough".

Manzune would be a smug, charismatic, manipulative bastard, rather than the straight-forward brute-forcing juggernaut Shizune is.
Bitches: "Oh Manako, you're so HOT."
Manako: "...That's not funny."

Sorry, couldn't resist. Manako as a Casanova, that's like a 180 from Hanako. Manzune would be charismatic and manipulative towards women but go into straight forward juggernaut with men. Like with Man-Lily.
I call my avatar Emiyagi.
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.

User avatar
Grand Haberdasher
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:59 am
Location: Yo momma

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by Grand Haberdasher » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:26 am

Hachimaki because twintails. Since Manako #2's got us covered in the shota department, M!Emi can be a short, toned guy with a sort-of babyface? ...Or is that still really shota? Whatevs.
That's about as shota as Emi is loli, so well done, SEXY MALE ARTIST.

Concerning the quote-unquote cliches being bandied about for Manako's personality, I don't think that's really a problem. I don't know a whole lot about visual novels, but I assume the whole shy moeblob thing is pretty common, yes? Yet nobody (that I've heard) complains about Hanako being cliche. It's not about avoiding what's been done before, it's about writing whatever you choose well. Full disclosure: I have TV Tropes open in another tab.

That said, I think the stonewalling Manako could work if you up the stoniness. Monotone, monosyllables, grim expression, basically every way he can tell you to fuck off without actually saying it. That way he's still very clearly antisocial, without having to yell or run away. I don't see him as becoming aggressive or trying to one-up himself, though. I think his self-esteem issues would manifest more as not bothering to try things because he's sure he'll fail at them.
If learning about marine animal mating habits while browsing cripple porn is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Kenji's harem: Yuuko, Akira, Hideaki, Miki, and Takeshi

User avatar
Erybis
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by Erybis » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:08 am

I STILL think that Manako would be perfect with PTSD. More violent toward others, keeps to himself because he does not like opening others, attachment issues (Manily), and just downright temper issues. Besides, if you were burned throughout your body in a swirling inferno, you're guaranteed PTSD.

mailia3
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:44 am

Katawa Shounen? :O

Post by mailia3 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:19 am

First of all, Hello to all here!

Actually I'm inspired about this game and it's unique based on the story plot but too bad I think this game is not for girls.., I can't feel the way what boys does because I think I'm reading a dialogue about what Hisao's thinking.., but there's one thing I've learned from this VN; the "Move-on" motto and now I know what boys like about... :wink:

But what if there's Katawa Shounen? :o

Male Emi

Male Hanako

Male Lily

Male Shizune

Sryy I didn't find male Rin...

and female Hisao :lol:


Hmmpp... I think it's impossible .. to have an eroge for girls.,
Well,. based in the Perverted Statistics; most men liked soo much this but girls are less..

User avatar
Mirage_GSM
Posts: 5979
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Germany

Re: Katawa Shounen? :O

Post by Mirage_GSM » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:27 am

Look here.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

mailia3
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:44 am

Re: Katawa Shounen? :O

Post by mailia3 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:29 am

Mirage_GSM wrote:Look here.
...srry

User avatar
newnar
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:46 am
Location: A country that forces me to join the army

Re: Katawa Shounen? :O

Post by newnar » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:15 am

Image


PLEASE NO.
I am a guy.
I sometimes talk like Rin Tezuka.
I am in love with Hanako Ikezawa.
NoOne3 wrote:Imagine a male Rin who secretly likes Hanako.
this
YES I AM. DEAL WITH IT.

User avatar
NoOne3
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Katawa Shounen? :O

Post by NoOne3 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:09 pm

newnar wrote:PLEASE NO.
Be more open, a picture won't gay you, it doesn't work that way.

Everyone interested should check shimmie first: http://shimmie.katawa-shoujo.com/post/list/genderswap/1 (I like, how bearded Rin looks like)

BTW: Better this than valentine mywaifu thread.

Image
Last edited by NoOne3 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Palodin
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:03 am

Re: Katawa Shounen? :O

Post by Palodin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:19 pm

NoOne3 wrote:
newnar wrote:PLEASE NO.
Be more open, a picture won't gay you, it doesn't work that way.

Everyone interested should check shimmie first: http://shimmie.katawa-shoujo.com/post/list/genderswap/1 (I like, how bearded Rin looks like)

BTW: Better this than valentine mywaifu thread.
That misha scares me

User avatar
UncleJellyfish
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:46 am
Location: Pacific Ocean

Re: Katawa Shounen? :O

Post by UncleJellyfish » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:09 pm

I found a picture of Male Rin♥ for you.
I'm a Jellyfish that just so happens to be someone's Uncle.
Rin♥ > Hanako > Shizune/Lilly > Emi
My Katawa Shoujo Impressions.
Katawa Shoujo - Written Novel Project
I hate spoiler tags, so I will never use them in discussion. If you don't want me to spoil something for you, then don't read what I write.

User avatar
newnar
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:46 am
Location: A country that forces me to join the army

Re: Katawa Shounen? :O

Post by newnar » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:34 pm

UncleJellyfish wrote:I found a picture of Male Rin♥ for you.
What. Yea, real funny.
I am a guy.
I sometimes talk like Rin Tezuka.
I am in love with Hanako Ikezawa.
NoOne3 wrote:Imagine a male Rin who secretly likes Hanako.
this
YES I AM. DEAL WITH IT.

User avatar
Mahorfeus
Posts: 683
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: Katawa Shounen? :O

Post by Mahorfeus » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:43 pm

Many laughs were had.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
The verdict is (finally) in:
Hanako > Rin > Emi > Lilly = Shizune

Post Reply