Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
G3n0c1de
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 1:15 am
Location: How are ya?

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by G3n0c1de » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:54 pm

Erybis wrote:On to our next genderbendered character: I demand Manako.
We've recently had two Manakos, back on pages three and four.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.

User avatar
Erybis
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by Erybis » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:32 pm

G3n0c1de wrote:
Erybis wrote:On to our next genderbendered character: I demand Manako.
We've recently had two Manakos, back on pages three and four.
She-Kenji?

User avatar
G3n0c1de
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 1:15 am
Location: How are ya?

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by G3n0c1de » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:41 am

Erybis wrote:She-Kenji?
Manako is here and here if that's what you're asking for.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.

User avatar
Grand Haberdasher
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:59 am
Location: Yo momma

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by Grand Haberdasher » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:46 am

Like Salvador Dali, Rin, male or female, does not do drugs. S/he is the drug.

What would male Akira look like, thread?
If learning about marine animal mating habits while browsing cripple porn is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Kenji's harem: Yuuko, Akira, Hideaki, Miki, and Takeshi

User avatar
blackrising
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:31 am
Location: under your bed...
Contact:

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by blackrising » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:25 am

Wait, if Akira is a reverse trap as a female, does that mean M!Akira will be uber-manly or that he'll be a trap?
Cause I'm not sure what I'd prefer.
Misha worshipper to the core. WAHAHAHA~

Misha>Rin=Hanako=Lilly>>Shizune>Emi

Since I was no bigger than a weavil they've been saying I was evil
That if "bad" was a boot that I'd fit it
That I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately
O fuck it! I'm a monster! I admit it!

User avatar
Grand Haberdasher
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:59 am
Location: Yo momma

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by Grand Haberdasher » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:33 pm

Whatever he is, it's a contrast with Yuri.

Party girl trap?
If learning about marine animal mating habits while browsing cripple porn is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Kenji's harem: Yuuko, Akira, Hideaki, Miki, and Takeshi

User avatar
G3n0c1de
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 1:15 am
Location: How are ya?

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by G3n0c1de » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:18 pm

blackrising wrote:Wait, if Akira is a reverse trap as a female, does that mean M!Akira will be uber-manly or that he'll be a trap?
Going off of genderswapped Hideaki, I'd say that Mankira would look pretty much like how she does right now: Dat androgynous.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.

User avatar
Otakumon
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:01 am
Location: 3rd rock from the sun

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by Otakumon » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:20 pm

Grand Haberdasher wrote:Like Salvador Dali, Rin, male or female, does not do drugs. S/he is the drug.

What would male Akira look like, thread?
Picture Schwarzenegger in drag.

User avatar
Erybis
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:00 am

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by Erybis » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:20 am

Grand Haberdasher wrote:Like Salvador Dali, Rin, male or female, does not do drugs. S/he is the drug.

What would male Akira look like, thread?
The exact same. He/She is so androgynous, he/she doesn't belong to one gender. He/She belongs to BOTH. So I'll have to agree with G3n0c1de on this point. Akira would look the same both ways.

SEXY MALE EMI

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by SEXY MALE EMI » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:16 am

Image
Hachimaki because twintails. Since Manako #2's got us covered in the shota department, M!Emi can be a short, toned guy with a sort-of babyface? ...Or is that still really shota? Whatevs.

Akira, huh. He'd either look exactly the same, or...hmm. Rather than a guyish woman, a really pretty guy? Must ponder this further.
blackrising wrote:Now, can whoever drew this please do Lilly? I will give you my first-born child.
Oh goodie. M!Lilly can be found on page four, underneath the delicious Mansha. Now, off the buy some BBQ sauce~

moonpalace
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by moonpalace » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:16 am

Christmas never ends when you're on the case, does it, SEXY MALE WHOEVER?

Seriously, Rin on Cristmas Eve and now Emi on Boxing Day! I'm amazed and I love your style. Rin is excellent, so is Emi although to be honest I prefered shadesofgrey's M!Emi with his ponytail. Great twist on the character anyway 8)

Guest

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:43 pm

I should really log in I suppose but I doubt anyone really remembers me (ano_101 was my name iirc) so I'll just post like this instead because this thread is too good not to respond to.

1. In regards to the pictures: Awwwww yeah.
2. Only thing I feel worth adding my opinon to is with the Male hanako problem. You could go "screw gender roles let's make him girly" but... honestly that strikes me as a bit lazy. As several people have pointed out that really doesn't work with male gender stereotypes forced upon guys in society. Personally I hate a girly male; it's okay for a girl but not a guy (sexism at it's finest, I know. Humans are contradictory at best). You could do the aloof loner but that has problems because as noted, that's hardly a new thing. There's also the "raaar I haet everything" option to go-which could mesh well with male Lilly reigning him in. You are now imagining male Hanako wearing nothing but a collar and leash, held by male Lilly.
That's probably even more overdone than the aloof loner cliche though.

Here's a suggestion for a personality that's not got much mileage apparently, since I didn't spot anyone bring it up (in depth anyway) is something more approachable, someone who'd go to parties even. A male Hanako who's self confidence and self esteem is shot to hell, doesn't bother approaching people because for the same reasons as all the other male incarnations (and of course, Hanako) have. The difference is while he keeps everyone but Lilly at arms length when approached he's polite, heck friendly enough. He'll have a conversation with you, but because he's got no self confidence he doesn't actually commit himself because he expects the person to either just want a better look at the scars or they'll get grossed out by it and leave him.
I'll give an example: you'd get talking about interests, and he might say he likes reading. That's all you'd get out of him: he'd give no indication he's such a book-a-holic, what his favorites authors/genres are, ect. He'd deflect questions to you (probably pretty well, since he's had experience with it). By the time the conversation has ended, he probably knows quite a bit of your own interests but you would know barely anything (if anything at all) about his.
It would mesh with Lilly because it could appear they talk about authors and books (and music probably) but still be working for exactly the same reasons as Hanako/Lilly together

Sheso (heh, love that nickname) as an LI would work for the same reasons; keeps seeking them out and talking to them, and slowly strips malehanako of his defences. As time passes he'd start volunteering more information about himself and dodge/deflect few questions because he'd start to believe that Sheso actually likes him.
--------------
So the Aloof one without the Aloof as it were. I have to say that personally I like the ANGRY MARINE male Hanako most myself, even if it is Overused as hell.

User avatar
CindehQ
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 2:59 am

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by CindehQ » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:46 pm

SEXY MALE EMI wrote:http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/3541/emijj.jpg
Hachimaki because twintails. Since Manako #2's got us covered in the shota department, M!Emi can be a short, toned guy with a sort-of babyface? ...Or is that still really shota? Whatevs.

Akira, huh. He'd either look exactly the same, or...hmm. Rather than a guyish woman, a really pretty guy? Must ponder this further.
blackrising wrote:Now, can whoever drew this please do Lilly? I will give you my first-born child.
Oh goodie. M!Lilly can be found on page four, underneath the delicious Mansha. Now, off the buy some BBQ sauce~
I'm going to be completely honest, my first reaction when seeing Man-Emi was "GAH!" (imagine Hank Hill's BWAH! face) Manly bodies with baby faces are just inherently creepy to me, especially if they're short muscular men (probably why I don't really dig Wolverine).

That said, if Emi were a dude that probably is how he'd look, but...as a girl, that just doesn't float my boat.
Last edited by Silentcook on Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: DON'T quote images that were just posted, people...
I call my avatar Emiyagi.
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.

User avatar
CindehQ
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 2:59 am

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by CindehQ » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:54 pm

Guest wrote:I should really log in I suppose but I doubt anyone really remembers me (ano_101 was my name iirc) so I'll just post like this instead because this thread is too good not to respond to.

1. In regards to the pictures: Awwwww yeah.
2. Only thing I feel worth adding my opinon to is with the Male hanako problem. You could go "screw gender roles let's make him girly" but... honestly that strikes me as a bit lazy. As several people have pointed out that really doesn't work with male gender stereotypes forced upon guys in society. Personally I hate a girly male; it's okay for a girl but not a guy (sexism at it's finest, I know. Humans are contradictory at best). You could do the aloof loner but that has problems because as noted, that's hardly a new thing. There's also the "raaar I haet everything" option to go-which could mesh well with male Lilly reigning him in. You are now imagining male Hanako wearing nothing but a collar and leash, held by male Lilly.
That's probably even more overdone than the aloof loner cliche though.

Here's a suggestion for a personality that's not got much mileage apparently, since I didn't spot anyone bring it up (in depth anyway) is something more approachable, someone who'd go to parties even. A male Hanako who's self confidence and self esteem is shot to hell, doesn't bother approaching people because for the same reasons as all the other male incarnations (and of course, Hanako) have. The difference is while he keeps everyone but Lilly at arms length when approached he's polite, heck friendly enough. He'll have a conversation with you, but because he's got no self confidence he doesn't actually commit himself because he expects the person to either just want a better look at the scars or they'll get grossed out by it and leave him.
I'll give an example: you'd get talking about interests, and he might say he likes reading. That's all you'd get out of him: he'd give no indication he's such a book-a-holic, what his favorites authors/genres are, ect. He'd deflect questions to you (probably pretty well, since he's had experience with it). By the time the conversation has ended, he probably knows quite a bit of your own interests but you would know barely anything (if anything at all) about his.
It would mesh with Lilly because it could appear they talk about authors and books (and music probably) but still be working for exactly the same reasons as Hanako/Lilly together

Sheso (heh, love that nickname) as an LI would work for the same reasons; keeps seeking them out and talking to them, and slowly strips malehanako of his defences. As time passes he'd start volunteering more information about himself and dodge/deflect few questions because he'd start to believe that Sheso actually likes him.
--------------
So the Aloof one without the Aloof as it were. I have to say that personally I like the ANGRY MARINE male Hanako most myself, even if it is Overused as hell.
While that would be a fresh take on the character, to be honest it's kind of...boring. Even if he still has the low self esteem, he still comes off as too well adjusted. The fun of Hanako's character is the whole "hard to get" aspect where it's you who has to get her to open up, as opposed to Emi and Shizune's paths where they're pursuing you and Rin and Lily's paths where you get to interact with out-of-the-ordinary characters (the spacey artist and the refined ojou).

And isn't this Manako kind of similar to Hisao? Hisao is polite and willing to socialize, but doesn't actively seek interaction and doesn't really open up that much to the people he meets. Throughout the story, things sort of just happen to him and he either decides to go along with it or not, he's not out trying to join clubs or opening up about his insecurities.
I call my avatar Emiyagi.
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.

User avatar
Brogurt
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Genderbender: Katawa Shonen

Post by Brogurt » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:12 pm

CindehQ wrote:he's not out trying to join clubs or opening up about his insecurities.
I wouldn't say that. If you say you don't want to join the art club, you get a bad end. If you don't tell Lilly and Rin about your condition, you get a bad end.
M!Hanako confirmed for having no good ends.

Post Reply