How'd you find yourself here?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Bombard

Re: How'd you find yourself here?

Post by Bombard »

I saw the original concept page posted on some unrelated imageboard a while back, and I did a little research. I immediately figured "4chan-invented + anime + dating simulator + disabled girls + high school + hentai = most horrible thing ever created by man." Figured I needed to check out this sin against God, nature, and humanity. So I download the thing and...it really was quite good. It was a very pleasant surprise how well the whole thing was pulled off. Funny, a little sweet, and not creepy at all.

Getting into KS was a very out-of-character move for me. I basically had a severe dislike for anything related to Japanese popular media, based on the sort of content and people I usually see surrounding it. After my experience with KS I branched out a little. I'm able to admit there are some very redeeming anime-type things out there, although by and large the WTF factor is still off the charts.
Jaksio

Post by Jaksio »

Ok it's my first post so Hi to everyone.

And getting back to topic. I discovered Katawa Shoujo after watching anime Code Geass. How? Well after watching whole series of some anime or other show i have strange tendency o watch on You tube some abridged series or parodies. and i found this one . Noticed google it and love it. So now I'm here.
ZystraL

Post by ZystraL »

Jaksio wrote:Ok it's my first post so Hi to everyone.

And getting back to topic. I discovered Katawa Shoujo after watching anime Code Geass. How? Well after watching whole series of some anime or other show i have strange tendency o watch on You tube some abridged series or parodies. and i found this one . Noticed google it and love it. So now I'm here.
That video made me lol.
I enjoy everything the devs hate. This includes and is not limited to: Pokemon, K-ON! and Lego.
Varna

Post by Varna »

Link from Encyclopedia Dramatica.
corona borealis

Post by corona borealis »

I heard tell of it a few years back but never paid it much attention, sure the concept was intriguing but i figured that 4chan would never be able to pull it off and if they did it'd probably be some self indulgent cripple orgy. Then a month back or so I'm on fakku and i see it there so a little chime rings in my head and i download it. It definitely blew away my early perceptions. Got 100% yesterday and fell in love. So here I am.
Hyperiant

Post by Hyperiant »

Varna wrote:Link from Encyclopedia Dramatica.
Same. The idea looked interesting, so I came here. Didn't regret it by any means.
Tsundere Lightning

Post by Tsundere Lightning »

A very nice review at Play This Thing.
Shizune apologist, Rin fan, semipro visual novelist, noted attention whore

I write KS fanfic. I preread KS fanfic. PM me with requests for either.
delta wrote: I've been caustic and mean since before 4chan even existed.
Tom Noble

Post by Tom Noble »

Hm...

Well, when I first came here it was actually through one of the advertisement sigs. I was fairly cautious at first, because the premise of the game felt pretty out of the way for me. So I looked it up on Wikipedia and found a few videos of it youtube before downloading Act 1 and getting the Hanako ending.

After that I was pretty much hooked, and played through the first act multiple times to get all the endings, except for the bad one because I tend to subconsciously avoid the bad ending like the plague combined with a zombie apocalypse.

Then I heard about the forum, stalked it for a few days and finally decided to join. XP

And here I am.

OH. And I'd just like to say that this is the first Dating sim that I've ever played. Just a little side note.
Wan-wanniche

Post by Wan-wanniche »

I saw the signature a couple of times on the Gaiaonline forums. About a month later, on fakku, I looked at the games section for kicks, and there it was. I went, 'hmmmm, okay, lets try it', and fell in love.
It was my first VN, by the way. All others are measured by KS standard.

As you can imagine, it is pretty exacting.
Rin takes an unexpected lead in the updated polls.
Surprised? a little
Is this unexpected? Have you met Rin:)?
Expect the unexpected. lol
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Whoa, thread necromancy!

Well, now that the ice has been broken…

I found out about KS from a post about it in the forums for the webcomic Misfile. Being assured that it was 'better than it sounds', I took a look. I downloaded Act I and played it. The search for a walk-through originally brought me here, but it wasn't until the responses to blog posts were in the forums that I really looked around here.

Then I discovered the fanfic section. I got inspired by a couple of them to write my own.

You know what? That's not how it went. A story idea formed in my head and demanded to be written out before I could do anything else of a recreational nature. That's how I came to write some KS fanfic. My first ever fanfic. And so far only.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Esquire

Post by Esquire »

I found out about it on TV Tropes. I'm trying to find the article that linked to it now... I just remember reading a description of the game where you go to a school and date disabled girls, and that it was really tastefully done and a helluva lot better than it sounds. So I clicked the link to the article about it, and then clicked the link to here. The rest is history :)

EDIT: Haha, finally found it! I got linked from a webcomic comment saying that a scene from it was used as the picture for the "Jailbait Wait" article. From "Jailbait Wait" to "Legal Jailbait", and from there to "Misaimed Fandom".
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Oh, hey, I added that "Misaimed Fandom" entry for KS (as an inversion, BTW).
Rocket Science

Post by Rocket Science »

I forget, it was either on TV Tropes or the Ren'Py website/wiki that I saw this and thought "oh hey, that looks cool". I didn't learn about its origins until much later.
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

I found out about it after an offhand mention in a thread on the TvTropes forum.

IIRC the thread was complaining about people who don't use computers even when it makes sense. Like Hanako would be able to find friends online without worrying about appearence.
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

I guess it started with Fate/Stay Night, I liked the anime, so I tried out the visual novel, and thought it was awesome. Then I was interested in getting into more visual novels. I told a friend about it, (if you saw the review I did, it was Andrew) and he told me about Katawa Shoujo. At first I didn't think about trying it because of the whole disabled girl thing. However, I decided, whatever, I'll look into it and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was.