How'd you find yourself here?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Xanatos

Re: How'd you find yourself here?

Post by Xanatos »

Minion of Chaos wrote:I "stumbled" upon KS because one of the Youtube channels I'm subscribed to (Millbee) started a semi-serious and semi-comical (just because of Millbee's personality and stuff) LP of Katawa Shoujo. I found my interest in it (and Millbee playing it) as slightly odd because I (and Millbee has said he wasn't either) am not into anime (nor am I into reading for fun/pleasure). Nevertheless, I found myself growing attached to the game (via Millb's series) as he went through the Hanako route (his first time through).

Since then, Millbee has completed Hanako and Shizune's routes (good endings first and then showing the other endings before moving on) and is currently in the middle of the Emi route. I downloaded the game and have gone through Lilly, Hanako, and Emi's routes on my own and then discovered the forum. I lurked for a while (for a month or two), reading fan-fics (shoutout to Helbereth, Hoitash, Scissorclips, Guest Poster, Trivun, and more), which was another "odd" thing for me (I'm generally not even into the idea of fan-fic).

All in all, I'm glad I found this forum
Welcome to the club. Quit watching LPs!
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Minion of Chaos

Post by Minion of Chaos »

Xanatos wrote: Welcome to the club. Quit watching LPs!
Just because I was drawn into KS by an LP doesn't mean I dont have my own thoughts, views, and takes on KS. And besides, it's more of a comical take (as mentioned)- so I also watch it for the laughs (at Millbee's reactions to some things). It's all good either way though
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Minion of Chaos wrote:
Just because I was drawn into KS by an LP doesn't mean I dont have my own thoughts, views, and takes on KS. And besides, it's more of a comical take (as mentioned)- so I also watch it for the laughs (at Millbee's reactions to some things). It's all good either way though
Yes but it ruins the suspense of your own playthroughs. :lol:

Anyway, here ya go.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Minion of Chaos

Post by Minion of Chaos »

Xanatos wrote:Yes but it ruins the suspense of your own playthroughs. :lol:
Very true. Only one route has been spoiled for myself (Shizune's, and I wasn't thrilled at the idea of her route beforehand anyway), so I don't see it as much of an issue (I'm going through Rin's route at the moment).
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Minion of Chaos wrote:
Xanatos wrote:Yes but it ruins the suspense of your own playthroughs. :lol:
Very true. Only one route has been spoiled for myself (Shizune's, and I wasn't thrilled at the idea of her route beforehand anyway), so I don't see it as much of an issue (I'm going through Rin's route at the moment).
Okay, definitely don't spoil Rin's. :lol:
AR700SAW

Post by AR700SAW »

I also came here from YouTube, but not from Millbee like some others. I came here via this William Strife video ( I was hoping that bookmark would come in handy at some point :lol: At first, I only decided to try it because it was recommended by him and it's free (given that I've never seen/payed any attention to any Anime before or after KS, I didn't put much stock into the value of this before playing)

I have to say, I feel in debt to that video; KS has had a surprising amount of influence on my growth as a person, more than anything else in my life. Without it, I'd still be a close-minded individual that'd also flinch at the sight of a disability like Hanako's or Emi's :P Plus, this is the nicest forum I've ever had the pleasure of being on (mostly, anyways :P), the people here are just so great to listen to and are so supportive, I've never experienced that anywhere else...

This is starting to turn into the ramblings of a madman now, so I'll finish with this: thanks to the KS devs for making a fantastic story, thanks to William Strife for making that video and thanks to the community for being awesome :D (also, check out the damn fanfiction! Some of it is just... words don't do how good it is justice!)

tl;dr: click link on first line for where I found KS :)
Emi > Hanako (extremely close second) > Lilly > Shizune > Rin

With these beautiful FanFictions included (Hanako: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6750 Rika: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=5920 Suzu: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=6192), the order goes:
Hanako > Emi > Rika > Suzu > Lilly > Shizune > Rin
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Minion of Chaos wrote:
Nothign wrong with LP's. Though personally I prefer watching them after I play through myself just to see others reactions. (assuming they're well done. there are plenty of meh ones out there).
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Xaredian
Location: Elysium, Crytar, Terranova, somewhere in the universe

Post by Xaredian »

The forums or KS in general?

Well, either way, both have a single source. A Youtube comment. Literally...

*On a "Rage Quit" video* "He should do Katawa Shoujo!" *With 200+ likes/upvotes/whateveryouwannacallthem* and a reply saying "And have it uncensored." Which, as a result, spiked my interests as to what they were talking about... soo... yeah...
To be remembered by anyone after death is the goal of basically every soul that's lived in this world.
DatDanimacian

Post by DatDanimacian »

I first heard about Katawa Shoujo from a video by Dastalinator formerly know as JosefVStalin, he's a let's player who plays a lot of strategy games and since i was into these kinds of games i watched him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMeJyyJUpoY

When he posted his top 10 games of 2012 i became very curious as to why he would rate Katawa Shoujo as number 2.

It seemed out of character for him, and i didn't like anime at the time so i was more curious that i would have been otherwise, but as time passed i forgot about it.

I began watching anime much and became a victim of the post-anime depression from shows like school rumble and Welcome to the NHK,

A couple of months later i found his video again this time i was much more inclined to try it out since i was much more used to the art style now, and because i heard that i was a very sad game and i wanted to feel some sadness. (feels)

I started playing the game at around 8 in the evening, i didn't intent to play it for long i just wanted to play through the intro, but it caught my attention and i ended up playing for longer than intented.

The next morning i continued on as soon as i could, i finished Hanako's path at around 5 in the afternoon, then i spended the rest of the day depressed.

The next day didn't go any better and since i'm a newcomer into these kinds of things i didn't have any friends who i could talk about this to.

So i decided to join the forums.

TLDR: I joined because i was sad.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Josefvstalin?! What an intrestomg name for a youtuber
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
stutum

Post by stutum »

I stumbled over this site, just as I did over KS. :)
xoxin

Post by xoxin »

Anyone remember Metadating from season 1 of Geek and Sundry on youtube? Yeah, I saw episode 5 and decided to check it out. Oh boy. Many feels were had. I skipped episode 6 because I didn't want any spoilers on routes I didn't complete yet. On that note, I wish they brought back Metadating
Characters:
Hanako>Lilly>Rin>Shizune>Emi
Stories:
Hanako>Rin>Lilly>Shizune>Emi
SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

xoxin wrote:Anyone remember Metadating from season 1 of Geek and Sundry on youtube? Yeah, I saw episode 5 and decided to check it out. Oh boy. Many feels were had. I skipped episode 6 because I didn't want any spoilers on routes I didn't complete yet. On that note, I wish they brought back Metadating
I actually found out about it from Metadating as well. I've followed Day[9] for years and always watch his Starcraft streams but I loved the chance to see him and some friends do something out of the usual Starcraft casting. I actually saw the KS video on the archives a month after they filmed it and they said to play it before the next episode. I went back and played through Emi's route then watched their second episode, it was just as good as the first. I wish they'd bring it back too though, that was Geek and Sundry's worst decision. :(
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.
HotBorscht

Post by HotBorscht »

Funnyjunk. Some people a few weeks (or was it a month or so) ago posted some stuff on FJ about it, talking about the feels they got from it, and me, being on a quest for feels, decided to give it a try. I downloaded it, didn't play for a few days (2-4). Once I started, however, I couldn't stop. I even got one of my friends into it, and we began a not so obsessed (complete lie) discussion about this game.

I have to say, KS delivered. Blew me away, each arc. Even Emi's did a bit, but I viewed Emi's arc as more of a time to laugh and have fun than get super serious.