I dont know if this is already here, but...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SteveBuilt

I dont know if this is already here, but...

Post by SteveBuilt »

I know that the characters seemed to have possibly changed through the versions, and that more changes to the game may occur soon, I would like to make a formal request to keep at least the general features of the current characters. Touching things up a bit is fine, but yeah.
minkus

Re: I dont know if this is already here, but...

Post by minkus »

Yeah, Devs won't listen to us whining about stuff we don't like about the game.

I like pretty much everything these guys have done, and since we have only seen the incomplete version, I will be reserving all criticism until Kenji and I go on the MANLIEST PICNIC ever.

Go back and find some of the early designs and look at the cast now. There have been some definite improvements.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

SteveBuilt wrote:keep at least the general features of the current characters
I wouldn't worry about that too much.
emidevelopment.jpg
emidevelopment.jpg (310.86 KiB) Viewed 6467 times
lillyhistory.jpg
lillyhistory.jpg (139.33 KiB) Viewed 6467 times
hanakohistoryb.jpg
hanakohistoryb.jpg (147.68 KiB) Viewed 6467 times
As you can see, while the details have changed over time, the core essence of the character designs remains the same. They kind of have to, since deviating from the inspiration is not what they want to do.

As for them changing the designs more, I don't think that is likely. The last two characters to get total sprite overhauls were Emi and Yuuko, and the devs have said that she is the last act 1 character to receive sprite changes. Granted this was a long time ago, but the sprites and designs are of such a high quality that I think they're set in stone. Plus, the changes would make a ton of more work for the devs, thus increasing development time. Something no one wants. They're working on other things right now.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
moonpalace

Post by moonpalace »

Wow, thanks for all the sprite development pictures.

I didn't realise just how many designs the characters have been through.
Rocket Royal

Post by Rocket Royal »

I like the look of Lily's wilder, previous iteration of hairstyle, though a proper girl that Lily is wouldn't have that. Oh well.
Ar Grathnos

Post by Ar Grathnos »

Hm. I only found KS recently, maybe a month or two ago, but I was aware that the characters had developed more since the original RAITA designs. Though I dug through the entire Shimmie I'd never actually seen some of the earlier redesigns. Its all rather interesting, seeing them develop into what they are now.

Gotta say, I'm liking some the earlier designs of Lilly. Her current one is best, indeed, but the others have their own appeal. (Aside from the giant boobs, of course.)
My order of favorites; Hanako=Lilly>=Rin>=Emi>>>>Shizune
I'm crazy, what of it?
DaMan65

Post by DaMan65 »

Ar Grathnos wrote: Though I dug through the entire Shimmie I'd never actually seen some of the earlier redesigns. Its all rather interesting, seeing them develop into what they are now.
:shock: Digging through the whole thing?

You are a braver man than I says Daman :lol:
By reading this you have given me temporary control of you mind
Ar Grathnos

Post by Ar Grathnos »

What can I say? I'd just 100%'d the demo (with no walk-through, you sad sad people!(aimed at those who used a walk-through)) and was still on the initial high from it, wanting more, more, MOAR! So I went through it all in about two days. I was kinda sad afterwards, so I went through the entire Oekaki board, too.

Its just how I roll. 8)
I'm crazy, what of it?
PasterOfMuppets

Post by PasterOfMuppets »

What if Hanako wasn't burnt anymore?
What if shizune swapped disabilities with misha?
What if lilly watches hisao and kenji in their sleep?
What if Rin has Four arms?
what if Emi was in a wheel chair?
What if Kenji was a hunk?

well... that's a little drastic...
But I believe we can put faith in that the Dev's know what they're doing. :D
Good joke... Everybody laugh... Roll on snare drum... Curtains...

Hanako = Shizune = Lilly = Rin > Kenji > Placeholder > Emi
Broses

Post by Broses »

Wait, are they not going to change the Mutou sprite? Because that one honestly looks a little sloppy.
Saber

Post by Saber »

Ar Grathnos wrote:(with no walk-through, you sad sad people!(aimed at those who used a walk-through)
Way to sound like an elitist prick right there.

As for how the character designs have changed, I'm all for the changes. Katawa shoujo, though it's dev time lengthy, has gone from the artist style of some amateur people (no offense to any of the artists) who threw some designs for a short VN, to a VN that looks like it's made by a company that's actually paying it's artists. It's amazing the work they put in for a non-profit project.
Last edited by Saber on Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ar Grathnos

Post by Ar Grathnos »

Saber wrote:Way to sound like an elitist prick right there.
KS is very simple, and even has an auto-skip function. I can't justify the need of using a walk-through, as I feel it would just cheapen the experience. These are my honest feelings, so if that makes me elitist and pricky, I am what I am. I will say, however, that I didn't intend to come across as "an elitist prick."

I'm gaining a renewed appreciation for the creative process, as I've started writing a fanfic of my own. I've written maybe three pages worth and its taken me probably close to 4 or 5 hours, and I'm maybe half done the first chapter. I can understand how something as big as an entire VN would take as long as it has.
I'm crazy, what of it?
ThreeStep

Post by ThreeStep »

You know, I'm kind of hoping the designs change radically before we get the final product. Take Emi, for example. She'd look so much better with bigger tits, not to mention replacing those metal sticks below her knees with something softer and smoother. Like, say, a hot pair of legs. Or Hanako; how much cuter would she be if we could see her whole face in all its unscarred glory? Think about the possiblities! That's just my opinion though.
Saber

Post by Saber »

Ar Grathnos wrote:
Saber wrote:Way to sound like an elitist prick right there.
KS is very simple, and even has an auto-skip function. I can't justify the need of using a walk-through, as I feel it would just cheapen the experience. These are my honest feelings, so if that makes me elitist and pricky, I am what I am. I will say, however, that I didn't intend to come across as "an elitist prick."
If you don't want to use a walk through that's fine, just don't go judging people negatively just because they don't want to take a chance on missing out of the route they were hoping to get into, or using one so as to not get a bad end. Telling an entire group of people that they are "sad, sad people" simply for using a guide because it "cheapens" the experience for you verses going in blindly does indeed make you sound like an elitist prick. Now that I know it was unintentional, I feel less offended, but it did come off as offensive at first.

Personally I use walk throughs for some games and others I don't. I don't feel that for anyone using it cheapens the experience whether they do it either way. I see your side and where you are coming from, but in my opinion having the choices laid out for you doesn't effect the overall experience since more often is the case it doesn't ruin or give away anything in the story. At least the ones I've used haven't.

p.s. I didn't use a walk through with Katawa shoujo Act 1 because there wasn't one when it released.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

ThreeStep wrote:Take Emi, for example. She'd look so much better with bigger tits
I know you're just trolling, but I'll admit, I still raged.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.