Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Tempester

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Tempester »

Mysterious Stranger wrote:Out of sheer curiosity, has anyone been able to play any of the Haruhi Suzumiya visual novels? And if so, are any of them actually decent? I'm pretty sure none of them have been or are in the process of being translated, but despite that my adoration of the franchise has my interested piqued.
VNs tied to existing (non-VN) franchises don't get much attention from translators. They're mostly just cash-ins, but I can understand how you'd want to see more your favorite anime characters.
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Tempester wrote:VNs tied to existing (non-VN) franchises don't get much attention from translators. They're mostly just cash-ins, but I can understand how you'd want to see more your favorite anime characters.
That's what I feared. From what I could gather from Wikipedia, they don't seem very substantial. Oh well.

I salute your foreverpandering signature, by the way.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

There seems to have been a translation project going on for a PSP Suzumiya Haruhi VN. http://z15.invisionfree.com/ImpossibleHAX/index.php?showforum=1
Sadly, it seems to be dead now.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

acewing905 wrote:There seems to have been a translation project going on for a PSP Suzumiya Haruhi VN. http://z15.invisionfree.com/ImpossibleHAX/index.php?showforum=1
Sadly, it seems to be dead now.
That's depressing actually. I shall now use this extra newfound despair to learn the damn Japanese language. Or at least become reasonably fluent. :lol:
MasterJHG

Post by MasterJHG »

I'm not a hardcore player of VN, but i like them, I just finish this one: Shuffle and it was excelent and there is a site for download lots of them:

(snip)

see ya

(USER WAS TEMPBANNED FOR THIS POST)

if she needs a prince, then I will be that prince
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

@MasterJHG: You better edit that post and remove that link. It's a site full of illegal downloads.
njdfodw

Post by njdfodw »

Hey, I'd like to play another vn, but internet searches were not much of help. I'd like one with a serious tone, and real, valid drama between characters. Like in Katawa Shoujo. I like the issues of mature life, cheating, getting a job, defects of marriage, leading double lives, dealing with disabilities, competition, jobs that require a lifestyle (stripper, spy, firefighter, ...) and so on. Got any recommendations?
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

njdfodw wrote:Hey, I'd like to play another vn, but internet searches were not much of help. I'd like one with a serious tone, and real, valid drama between characters. Like in Katawa Shoujo. I like the issues of mature life, cheating, getting a job, defects of marriage, leading double lives, dealing with disabilities, competition, jobs that require a lifestyle (stripper, spy, firefighter, ...) and so on. Got any recommendations?
Well I'm no expert on VNs, but the only two I could recommend would be Deardrops and ef - a fairy tale of the two.

Deardrops does have a lot of that kind of stuff in, but they are generally separated into different routes and it is highly recommended to play Kira Kira beforehand. Deardrops seems to be hit and miss among the VN community, although it doesn't get that much praise compared to a lot of other similar VNs. It's basically comedy, drama and romance, play it if you like a band type story. Good for newbies too.

ef - a fairy tale of the two (which I have already recommended in this thread) is another VN which deals with a lot of these issues. The VN is separated into chapters, and each one will deal with a different aspect with different characters. There are even two chapters based around disabilities. Chapters 3-7 fit your description pretty well. ef is a drama, thriller, romance, comedy and perhaps even mystery VN, and unlike a lot of VNs with a similar settings the characters are pretty mature. Perhaps not the first one to recommend to newbies, but I would highly recommend it as it is absolutely fantastic. Translation gets a fair bit of criticism, but I thought it was quite good.

So personally I would recommend ef. Still I'm no expert, perhaps someone else will come up with a better idea.
Mysterious Stranger

njdfodw wrote:Hey, I'd like to play another vn, but internet searches were not much of help. I'd like one with a serious tone, and real, valid drama between characters. Like in Katawa Shoujo. I like the issues of mature life, cheating, getting a job, defects of marriage, leading double lives, dealing with disabilities, competition, jobs that require a lifestyle (stripper, spy, firefighter, ...) and so on. Got any recommendations?
I recently finished all of Kira Kira, and it essentially covers a fair bit of what you just listed off. The translation isn't terrible either, but you should know that the real drama comes after the more light-hearted first half, which kind of splits the entire game into two distinct sections. Depending on which arc you take the transition can be somewhat jarring (*COUGH* KIRARI NORMAL ENDING *COUGH*). Still pretty excellent overall, though.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Nobody in Particular

Mysterious Stranger wrote: I recently finished all of Kira Kira, and it essentially covers a fair bit of what you just listed off. The translation isn't terrible either, but you should know that the real drama comes after the more light-hearted first half, which kind of splits the entire game into two distinct sections. Depending on which arc you take the transition can be somewhat jarring (*COUGH* KIRARI NORMAL ENDING *COUGH*). Still pretty excellent overall, though.
I've played Kira Kira (it's the VN I have enjoyed the most since starting on the genre) but I think that it is the exact opposite of what he wants. Kira Kira is a wacky adventure which isn't serious at all until Act 3, and while I would highly recommend it, I don't think it really fits what he is looking for.
Mysterious Stranger

Nobody in Particular wrote:I've played Kira Kira (it's the VN I have enjoyed the most since starting on the genre) but I think that it is the exact opposite of what he wants. Kira Kira is a wacky adventure which isn't serious at all until Act 3, and while I would highly recommend it, I don't think it really fits what he is looking for.
Well, that's why I clarified. But when Kira Kira does get serious, it gets deadly serious. Almost to a fault, in one particular route that I didn't necessarily enjoy. For the most part, though, I think it manages to pull off a very good blend of comedy and sobriety, somewhat similar to Katawa Shoujo (granted, Kira Kira gets much wackier than KS ever does). And it certainly fits the requirement of telling a story through the lens of a niche lifestyle.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

Just got done playing Kanade's path on Deardrops. I honestly enjoyed that VN. I think its a real shame it isn't too popular though. I really thought it was nice.

Oh well, time for another state of depression because of how boring life is compared to VNs. Great.
Nobody in Particular

ShadeHaven wrote:Just got done playing Kanade's path on Deardrops. I honestly enjoyed that VN. I think its a real shame it isn't too popular though. I really thought it was nice.
The impression I get is that the majority of the people that really enjoyed Kira Kira don't like Deardrops as much, whereas the ones that didn't like Kira Kira all that well prefer Deardrops. Looking back at it, Deardrops is basically a more serious and dramatic version of Kira Kira which focuses on the band more than the characters. I suppose that would appeal to a different kind of reader than the ones that played Kira Kira. In all honesty I didn't like Deardrops that much, but I can see why it is popular among some people. The Rimu and Yayoi routes were really disappointing though.
Sin of my sins

Post by Sin of my sins »

Narcissu is a good VN in regard of 'feels', even if they're the 'negative' kind.

Umineko is also great fun if you're one for solving riddles and mysteries.
Mysterious Stranger

Sin of my sins wrote:Narcissu is a good VN in regard of 'feels', even if they're the 'negative' kind.
All feels are good feels.