Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

blah

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by blah »

From what I know of the game, each route has its own kind of philosophy. Fate:idealistic, UBW: Somewhere in between, and HF:cynical. But that's only what I recall hearing about it, since I haven't played past the first part.
Yukimi

Post by Yukimi »

encrypted12345 wrote:
blah wrote:I loved the first season of the anime--its a cute school romance if you're into that sort of thing. But I wasn't too impressed by the second season: the first 8 episodes or so were just tying up remaining side stories like Yukine, Misae, etc.

I haven't played much of the Clannad VN, but its really good so far. I've cleared the Ryou/Kyou Route, Tomoyo Route, and I'm almost done with Fuuko. If you don't like slice-of-life and slow-moving plots, don't bother. But I've enjoyed it.

On another note, I've played the Fate Route on Fate/Stay Night, and that's as far as I've gotten. I can't quite bring myself to continue after that.:(
I really do need to find time to play Clannad and the other Key Games. Gotta let out those manly tears after all.

In any case, compared to the other two routes of Fate Stay Night, the Fate Route is bad. The second route, Unlimited Blade Works, is generally considered to be awesome and by many to be the best. The last route, Heaven's Feel is ... love or hate. It's my favorite route, but other people just don't like it due to its heroine, slow pace, or contradicting themes (from the other two routes). I believe it makes a nice conclusion to the game overall because of said themes, but whatever.
The last route was my favourite too. I agree it's a love or hate route but it was the one I enjoyed te most.
Shizune=Akira > Lilly > Emi > Hanako > Rin (but all of them have a place in my heart and some other more interesting locations XP).
zeroyuki92

Post by zeroyuki92 »

From what I know, FS/N consists of :
- Normal story about Idealistic People - in Normal Route
- A good story about very strong determination of one's ideal -in UBW route
- An awesome story about people who throw all of his idealism for something that's more important. The one that you loved. -in HF

HF is...Agreed. Love or Hate. I loved it more than other routes...But that's many years ago, actually. Haven't played it again for a long time :p

Btw, I want to reccomend one title which is rarely recommended here (only once):

Symphonic Rain
A story that starts out so slow and soft, like other slice of life fellows out there...
and then stabs you from your back, like getting bombed by your neighbor when you ate your breakfast. (No,not because an accident or sudden tragedy)

The twists are always there, but you just didn't noticed due to the peaceful situation. While it's not very original, the placement and execution is almost perfect.
And you will realize it in the locked route (with two endings), only after finishing the initial three routes.

Finished with a final blow, the secret route...Which is actually the funniest and the most heartwarming route from the other five endings.
Too bad I can't spoil anything related to it's story since it will spoil the surprises.

Not counting that the music is very good (the last pieces of songs that made by the late Ritsuko Okazaki, which is famous from her melancholic tone in Fruit's Basket OST). Even more awesome, you can play them in a [o2jam/vos/stepmania/name other music game here]-like minigame, which will add some fun. Don't worry, it's also auto-playable if you don't want to be bothered with them.

tl;dr : not so famous translated game with music minigame, good music, with slow-paced story and believable-but-awesome twists which are very awesome (some called it was near ever-17 twist tier).

I myself was going to give it 7 at the initial routes. But I gave it 9 when the real story unfolds...

some other recommendation next time...
Rohalmen509

Post by Rohalmen509 »

Sorry, I didn't know if someone posted this already cause I didn't want to look through 15 pages of posts, but has anyone heard of CRADLE-SONG?

Someone gave me a card on it at AX2011, and I barely got around to checking it out. I played it already, and it was awesome. But has anyone else heard of it? :P
I found out about KS from japanator, during Ero-week.

RinxKenji forever~ Rin shall succumb to Kenji's impressive intelligence, and Rin shall make him walk the straight path to victory.
my evidence to this. http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3044 :)

Rin > Hanako > Shizune > Lilly > Kenji > Emi
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I proofread the german translation of the demo a few months ago.
I thought it was quite nice. I liked the art style, but the fact that most of the main characters are musicians featured heavily so far. They threw around musical vocabulary like it was going out of style...
When I read it, there wasn't very much so far. Much less than Act 1 of KS. I didn't expect it to be finished until 2012 at the earliest...
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Rohalmen509

Post by Rohalmen509 »

Mirage_GSM wrote:I proofread the german translation of the demo a few months ago.
I thought it was quite nice. I liked the art style, but the fact that most of the main characters are musicians featured heavily so far. They threw around musical vocabulary like it was going out of style...
When I read it, there wasn't very much so far. Much less than Act 1 of KS. I didn't expect it to be finished until 2012 at the earliest...
When I played it, the game crashed right where the guy is suppose to somehow end up in the other world, so

CAN'T TELL IF ACCIDENT
OR GENIUS

anyways, obviously that's just the proleague, so while music was a big part of this guys life, he's obviously going to have a lot of changes in his hobbies soon. From the synopsis of the game, it sounds like the main guy is going to end up in a war.

RinxKenji forever~ Rin shall succumb to Kenji's impressive intelligence, and Rin shall make him walk the straight path to victory.

damienthedevil

Post by damienthedevil »

Do we need to post those that have been translated or are those without translations ok too? I have different recommends if its not restricted...
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Rohalmen509 wrote:When I played it, the game crashed right where the guy is suppose to somehow end up in the other world,..
That's where the demo ends.

@damien:
Recommend what you like, but if there's no translation, it would be good to mention it.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Sleet

Post by Sleet »

Rohalmen509 wrote:Sorry, I didn't know if someone posted this already cause I didn't want to look through 15 pages of posts, but has anyone heard of CRADLE-SONG?

Someone gave me a card on it at AX2011, and I barely got around to checking it out. I played it already, and it was awesome. But has anyone else heard of it? :P
Heard about it a while back, it does look nice, even though just the preview is out. Really hoping it's not vaporware
DMGnome

Post by DMGnome »

Cradle Song has a tendency to crash right after the basement scene; there's supposed to be a short movie there, and some computers don't like it. If your computer's okay, then the preview goes on for a little bit more, and stops after the first choice. I'm intrigued by Cradle Song. Doomfest's doing much of the art, which is promising, but I'm going to withhold full judgement until the team's put out something more substantial.
Fans destroy things by loving them too much. This is one of the fundamental laws of the universe.
Rohalmen509

Post by Rohalmen509 »

DMGnome wrote:Cradle Song has a tendency to crash right after the basement scene; there's supposed to be a short movie there, and some computers don't like it. If your computer's okay, then the preview goes on for a little bit more, and stops after the first choice. I'm intrigued by Cradle Song. Doomfest's doing much of the art, which is promising, but I'm going to withhold full judgement until the team's put out something more substantial.
Short movie in an visual novel? D: Does that mean animation?????

yeah, I'm going to chilll for a while and wait for the next release. :3 I want to know more~~~~~~~

Moondrag

Post by Moondrag »

If I had to recommend a VN, it would be Twinkle Crusaders. (I played the PSP port of it) Despite it being not translated it had for me: Great story, Great characters, lots of moments that make me smile and/or laugh and the battle system is addicting to say the least

There are five routes in the game (Two new routes are added in the PSP version, one contains the new heroine and the other has one of the side characters upped to heroine status) and out of all the routes in the game, I enjoyed all of them...with the exception of the girl who I picked for my third playthrough. (I was taking ending fatigue from my first two playthroughs and the route in general was pretty crappy for me...doesn't help that I didn't like her much to begin with.)

Even after beating it 100% (All CGs, all battles, all trophies which are kinda like mini-achievements, for a couple I had to resort to the Japanese wiki) I still play it to this day with my highest score of all the battles on Normal being Battle 68, at 3424060 points...did I mention I play Twinkle Crusaders a lot?
Yukimi

Post by Yukimi »

Finally HatofulBoyfriend got an English translation O_oI wonder why and if I should try it XP
http://indiegames.com/2011/12/freeware_ ... l_boy.html

Sorry if this is too OT.

EDIT: I found this riddiculously funny review http://www.gamertell.com/technologytell ... ndows-mac/
Shizune=Akira > Lilly > Emi > Hanako > Rin (but all of them have a place in my heart and some other more interesting locations XP).
UrbanBas

Post by UrbanBas »

Yukimi wrote:Finally HatofulBoyfriend got an English translation O_oI wonder why and if I should try it XP
http://indiegames.com/2011/12/freeware_ ... l_boy.html

Sorry if this is too OT.

EDIT: I found this riddiculously funny review http://www.gamertell.com/technologytell ... ndows-mac/
Well I'm going to try it to see. Hopefully it doesn't make my head hurt more than I want it to.
I've always wondered. When people die they say there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Wouldn't that hint that they're going to hell. Hell is a pit of fire after all. Fire produces light.
Yubiseiharukana

Post by Yubiseiharukana »

I'm sure some of these are already on this topic somewhere, but whatever. A couple of VNs I've really been getting into of recent of Swan Song, Ef, Suika, Chaos;HEAd, and Utawarerumono.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."
- Emo Philips