Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Flutterz
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:40 am

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Flutterz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:11 pm

OtakuNinja wrote:Never thought I'd be the one asking for help... :P

I'm looking for a good yuri VN (female protagonist, only girls as love interests(okay, maybe one guy)). I want one with a good story, character development and more than one route. It doesn't have to contain sex, and if it does, I want it to me moderate, like in KS.

I hope there is a VN like this. :3

P.S No supernatural shit.
I'm not sure that such a thing even exists. :P Especially the no supernatural part - there aren't very many of those as it is, and you want a yuri one with good plot and branching routes. Although I'd love to be proven wrong...
Image
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two

User avatar
OtakuNinja
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by OtakuNinja » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:11 am

Flutterz wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:Never thought I'd be the one asking for help... :P

I'm looking for a good yuri VN (female protagonist, only girls as love interests(okay, maybe one guy)). I want one with a good story, character development and more than one route. It doesn't have to contain sex, and if it does, I want it to me moderate, like in KS.

I hope there is a VN like this. :3

P.S No supernatural shit.
I'm not sure that such a thing even exists. :P Especially the no supernatural part - there aren't very many of those as it is, and you want a yuri one with good plot and branching routes. Although I'd love to be proven wrong...
I said no supernatural shit. If the supernatural elements fits the story, then sure. :P
Image
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

User avatar
Firewind
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:01 am

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Firewind » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:19 am

I was going to recommend my first VN but it looks like it was already recommended a few times and I found a pretty good description of the game here, posted more than a year ago so I thought I'd put it here.
Zeon Twilight wrote:Well, from KS I ended up trying several VN's lately, and oddly enough, one has stuck out for being...interesting to say the least.

Monster Girl quest (Monmusu Quest! Zenshou ~Makereba Youjo ni Okasareru~), if it hasn't been mentioned is a sort of VN/RPG hybrid. I'd say the unofficial tagline of the game might as well be "Came for the Femdom hentai, Stayed for the story" Because it really does have a pretty awesome story that you wouldn't expect given the sheer amount of H in the game (Different Scene for anyone you lose to.)

As far as the quality of the H content, It's well drawn. Not really my thing personally (Femdom/rape. Most the girls are "Monster" Looking, some are cute/sexy, some are...not.) I played it for the plot, and that was enough to keep me interested.

The quick and dirty of it is that you play as a young wanna be hero named Luka in a world of human's and monsters. The monsters are nearly all female, and in order to survive they need certain substances that human males produce. Problem is that the goddess of the Humans forbids interaction and fornication with monsters. This leads to some surprisingly complicated conflicts.

Luka's goal is to try and build a world where humans and monsters can co-exist peacefully, even though the odds are stacked against him on both sides. The story begins on the day he sets out to get his baptism as a hero.

Starts out a little slow, but picks up steam quickly, I was playing into the wee hours of the morning merely halfway through part 1.

Naturally, this one costs a bit if you wanna pick it up legal, if you don't...well, you probably know how that is. But remember that the game is made by a small group of artists from Japan, and they do work hard on the game. It's a story told in 3 parts, but part 3 isn't out yet. Still, I've had an amazing time with parts 1 and 2, which have both been fully translated into English by Rouge translations.

Forgive me if someone has already mentioned this one. I just wanted to contribute since I can say from personal experience that it is of high quality.
Last edited by Firewind on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone hides who they are at least some of their time. Sometimes you bury that part of yourself so deeply that you have to be reminded it's there at all. And sometimes you just want to forget who you are all together.

User avatar
shockzzz
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:08 am

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by shockzzz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:33 am

Firewind wrote:I was going to recommend my first VN but it looks like it was already recommended a few times and I found a pretty good description of the game here, posted more than a year ago so Ithought I'd put it here.

-snip-
I followed RogueTranslations for his English patch for months on months on months. He's working on the Game 3 English patch and is about a third of the way done. This game isn't even a VN as much as it is a hentai simulator. It has its moments but this game is porn. Period.

User avatar
Flutterz
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:40 am

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Flutterz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:35 am

OtakuNinja wrote:I said no supernatural shit. If the supernatural elements fits the story, then sure. :P
Oh, supernatural shit, I thought you meant supernatural shit. :lol: Well Katahane looks like it fits, although I can't really talk about its quality because I haven't played it. :P It's fairly popular on VNDB though.
Image
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two

User avatar
Firewind
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:01 am

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Firewind » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:42 am

shockzzz wrote:
Firewind wrote:I was going to recommend my first VN but it looks like it was already recommended a few times and I found a pretty good description of the game here, posted more than a year ago so Ithought I'd put it here.

-snip-
I followed RogueTranslations for his English patch for months on months on months. He's working on the Game 3 English patch and is about a third of the way done. This game isn't even a VN as much as it is a hentai simulator. It has its moments but this game is porn. Period.
Who said it's not porn? I just want to say that the fact that such game can have quite an interesting story totally surprised me. :lol:
Edit: Also the fact that even if this game is porn and I want part 3 translated as soon as possible not mainly because of the fap material but because of the story is pretty much why I love it.
Last edited by Firewind on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Everyone hides who they are at least some of their time. Sometimes you bury that part of yourself so deeply that you have to be reminded it's there at all. And sometimes you just want to forget who you are all together.

User avatar
shockzzz
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:08 am

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by shockzzz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:52 am

Firewind wrote:
shockzzz wrote:
Firewind wrote:I was going to recommend my first VN but it looks like it was already recommended a few times and I found a pretty good description of the game here, posted more than a year ago so Ithought I'd put it here.

-snip-
I followed RogueTranslations for his English patch for months on months on months. He's working on the Game 3 English patch and is about a third of the way done. This game isn't even a VN as much as it is a hentai simulator. It has its moments but this game is porn. Period.
Who said it's not porn? I just want to say that the fact that such game can have quite an interesting story totally surprised me. :lol:
Oh that was your point haha. I just thought it was odd because someone who really like KS probably did so because of the feels and emotions it gave them. If they went into MQ with those same expectations... well,uh. They'd be extremeley surprised haha :mrgreen:

User avatar
Firewind
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:01 am

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Firewind » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:00 am

shockzzz wrote: Oh that was your point haha. I just thought it was odd because someone who really like KS probably did so because of the feels and emotions it gave them. If they went into MQ with those same expectations... well,uh. They'd be extremeley surprised haha :mrgreen:
Yeah, it lacks the feels big time (or maybe the only "feely" moment for me was at the end of part 2, when...you do the wrong thing, you know). But I, for one, played it for the awesomeness, not the feels :mrgreen:
Everyone hides who they are at least some of their time. Sometimes you bury that part of yourself so deeply that you have to be reminded it's there at all. And sometimes you just want to forget who you are all together.

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You
Posts: 2533
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Imola, Italy

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Silentcook » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:33 am

Flutterz wrote:Well Katahane looks like it fits, although I can't really talk about its quality because I haven't played it. :P It's fairly popular on VNDB though.
I can't really recommend Katahane since the translation quality was below average when I played it - leftover Japanese text, bad grammar, lots of typos. No idea if it got fixed since then. Be also aware that while there is a strong yuri element, it runs about 50/50. I was also unimpressed by the content, but this is my preference and not an objective fact.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Image

User avatar
Nobody in Particular
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:37 am
Location: Nowhere in particular

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Nobody in Particular » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:25 pm

shockzzz wrote: I followed RogueTranslations for his English patch for months on months on months. He's working on the Game 3 English patch and is about a third of the way done. This game isn't even a VN as much as it is a hentai simulator. It has its moments but this game is porn. Period.
I'd say there was a little more to the MGQ series than just porn. Sure it's a nukige, but it has a decent story and even better characters and you could easily play through the first two parts without the intention of masturbation. In fact, if you're incredibly good and dislike sex scenes, you could get through the game without seeing much sex. Same can't really be said for the nudity however, which can be rather "in-your-face" at times.

User avatar
Steinherz
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:06 am
Location: New England

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Steinherz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:15 pm

Nobody in Particular wrote:
shockzzz wrote: I followed RogueTranslations for his English patch for months on months on months. He's working on the Game 3 English patch and is about a third of the way done. This game isn't even a VN as much as it is a hentai simulator. It has its moments but this game is porn. Period.
I'd say there was a little more to the MGQ series than just porn. Sure it's a nukige, but it has a decent story and even better characters and you could easily play through the first two parts without the intention of masturbation. In fact, if you're incredibly good and dislike sex scenes, you could get through the game without seeing much sex. Same can't really be said for the nudity however, which can be rather "in-your-face" at times.
I've seen MGQ. It is surprisingly good for having that massive amount of hentai material.
Also:
Image
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.

User avatar
BananaPudding
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by BananaPudding » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:58 am

I'm trying to get a friend into VNs and he was asking if there are any VNs that aren't about going around dating a bunch of girls. I would assume there are, but I have never seen one so I thought I would ask about it here.
Completion order: Emi->Lily->Shizune->Hanako->Rin
Feels order: Emi->lily/Hanako->Rin->Shizune

User avatar
Flutterz
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:40 am

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Flutterz » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:38 pm

BananaPudding wrote:I'm trying to get a friend into VNs and he was asking if there are any VNs that aren't about going around dating a bunch of girls. I would assume there are, but I have never seen one so I thought I would ask about it here.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni aren't about dating,but they also aren't the best VNs to start out with. As for smaller ones, Narcissu and True Remembrance are both free and not about dating, and a pretty good place to start.
Image
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two

User avatar
Nobody in Particular
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:37 am
Location: Nowhere in particular

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Nobody in Particular » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:26 pm

BananaPudding wrote:I'm trying to get a friend into VNs and he was asking if there are any VNs that aren't about going around dating a bunch of girls. I would assume there are, but I have never seen one so I thought I would ask about it here.
True Remembrance, Juniper's Knot, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate, Saya no Uta, Hanachirasu, Danganronpa andd Kara no Shoujo should all be sufficient in that department. I'd say Muv-Luv Alternative too, but the prequel Muv-Luv Extra is a typical "date girls" kind of thing.

User avatar
BananaPudding
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by BananaPudding » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:36 pm

hmm, chaos;head and steins;gate look interesting and I have heard good things about them, I think I'm gonna recommend those
Completion order: Emi->Lily->Shizune->Hanako->Rin
Feels order: Emi->lily/Hanako->Rin->Shizune

Post Reply