Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Walshy12238
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:58 am
Location: Australia

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Walshy12238 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:08 pm

BananaPudding wrote:I guess my only problem with School Days is that there was absolutely no emotional attachment to the characters (and to make it even worse, the attachment started to form in the beginning, but then completely dissolved at the climax and ending) I guess that's the thing I really like about VNs (of the two I have played)

maybe KS set my expectations too high, but Kira Kira was really good about that.
Yeah, see, that's the thing I really loved about KS (which is actually the only VN I've played/read). I enjoyed the fact that it made you feel attached to the characters.
OtakuNinja wrote: It's definitely worth the time.

The whole story basically revolves around the protagonist's sex drive, but it's very interesting to see how all the "insane" characters react. Especially since you sometimes can be such a player and rape girls, but they seem to think it's OK once it's over (even though the real you want to kill the guy). :lol:
It's made in an anime format, which is rather unique, and really makes it easy to play. Some of the "decision points" will give you the option to not choose either of the alternatives; which is great if they both are bad. :)

I think you should buy it. It's really cheap if you don't buy the physical copy or the Collector's Edition. ;)
Hmm. I might give it a go, who knows, we'll have to wait and see :P
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin

User avatar
Flutterz
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:40 am

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Flutterz » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Walshy12238 wrote:Yeah, see, that's the thing I really loved about KS (which is actually the only VN I've played/read). I enjoyed the fact that it made you feel attached to the characters.
There's actually tons of VNs like that, most of the ones in my list make you attached to the characters. School Days just isn't one of them :P
Image
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two

User avatar
Walshy12238
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:58 am
Location: Australia

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Walshy12238 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:50 pm

Flutterz wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:Yeah, see, that's the thing I really loved about KS (which is actually the only VN I've played/read). I enjoyed the fact that it made you feel attached to the characters.
There's actually tons of VNs like that, most of the ones in my list make you attached to the characters. School Days just isn't one of them :P
Well I'll have to go and find that list then :P
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin

stanman237
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by stanman237 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:59 pm

Walshy12238 wrote:
Flutterz wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:Yeah, see, that's the thing I really loved about KS (which is actually the only VN I've played/read). I enjoyed the fact that it made you feel attached to the characters.
There's actually tons of VNs like that, most of the ones in my list make you attached to the characters. School Days just isn't one of them :P
Well I'll have to go and find that list then :P
Here's a condensed list:

Key Games
Type Moon Games
Higurashi and Umineko to some extent
Narcissu 1,2
some NitroPlus Games
Other Utsuge/Nakige that are not mentioned should also be here

User avatar
Walshy12238
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:58 am
Location: Australia

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Walshy12238 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:29 am

I've heard that Narcissu is fantastic, are the rumours true?
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin

User avatar
Flutterz
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:40 am

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Flutterz » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:51 am

Walshy12238 wrote:I've heard that Narcissu is fantastic, are the rumours true?
It is really good, and on top of that it's short and free, so fantastic is certainly one way to describe it.
Image
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two

User avatar
Walshy12238
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:58 am
Location: Australia

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Walshy12238 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:46 am

Flutterz wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:I've heard that Narcissu is fantastic, are the rumours true?
It is really good, and on top of that it's short and free, so fantastic is certainly one way to describe it.
Well I guess I've found something to keep me occupied :D
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin

User avatar
Flutterz
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:40 am

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Flutterz » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:26 am

Walshy12238 wrote:
Flutterz wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:I've heard that Narcissu is fantastic, are the rumours true?
It is really good, and on top of that it's short and free, so fantastic is certainly one way to describe it.
Well I guess I've found something to keep me occupied :D
Great! :D But keep in mind it won't keep you occupied for very long - both games can be finished within a few hours. :P
Image
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two

User avatar
OtakuNinja
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by OtakuNinja » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:16 am

Walshy12238 wrote:I've heard that Narcissu is fantastic, are the rumours true?
Yes, it's probably the best VN I've played so far. The first one can only be described as "fantastic" and the second is even better. :D
Image
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

User avatar
Walshy12238
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:58 am
Location: Australia

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Walshy12238 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:20 pm

OtakuNinja wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:I've heard that Narcissu is fantastic, are the rumours true?
Yes, it's probably the best VN I've played so far. The first one can only be described as "fantastic" and the second is even better. :D
Even better than KS? :P
Flutterz wrote: Great! :D But keep in mind it won't keep you occupied for very long - both games can be finished within a few hours. :P
That's probably a good thing, I don't really have that much time on my hands these days... School sucks like that
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin

User avatar
OtakuNinja
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by OtakuNinja » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Walshy12238 wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:I've heard that Narcissu is fantastic, are the rumours true?
Yes, it's probably the best VN I've played so far. The first one can only be described as "fantastic" and the second is even better. :D
Even better than KS? :P
Y.E.S! :mrgreen:
Image
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

User avatar
Flutterz
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:40 am

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Flutterz » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:11 am

Walshy12238 wrote:Even better than KS? :P
Just because we're on the KS forums doesn't mean we necessarily think it's the best VN there is. :P
Plus VNs can be so different from one another that it makes it somewhat hard to decide if one is better than another. So I won't say that Narcissu is better than KS, just that both are quality VNs. :D (copout, I know)
Image
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two

User avatar
Walshy12238
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:58 am
Location: Australia

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Walshy12238 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:26 am

OtakuNinja wrote: Y.E.S! :mrgreen:
Well then I definitely should give it a go :P
Flutterz wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:Even better than KS? :P
Just because we're on the KS forums doesn't mean we necessarily think it's the best VN there is. :P
Plus VNs can be so different from one another that it makes it somewhat hard to decide if one is better than another. So I won't say that Narcissu is better than KS, just that both are quality VNs. :D (copout, I know)
That's not what I meant, but I do get your point :D
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin

User avatar
OtakuNinja
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by OtakuNinja » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:42 pm

Walshy12238 wrote:
Flutterz wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:Even better than KS? :P
Just because we're on the KS forums doesn't mean we necessarily think it's the best VN there is. :P
Plus VNs can be so different from one another that it makes it somewhat hard to decide if one is better than another. So I won't say that Narcissu is better than KS, just that both are quality VNs. :D (copout, I know)
That's not what I meant, but I do get your point :D
There are so many different types of VNs... I prefer nakiges and light eroges, but horror is fine too. :3
Image
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

User avatar
Walshy12238
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:58 am
Location: Australia

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Walshy12238 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:15 am

Alright so I fired up Narcissu, because after hearing how good it was, I felt I had to try it out, and I instantly cringed; I couldn't get past the "oldness" of it, if that's what you can even call it. Like, I don't know whether I'm being too picky or something, but it really seems like I'm just going to not be able to enjoy it because of the production quality I guess you could say.

Am I being too picky? :P
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin

Post Reply