Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

yummines

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by yummines »

acewing905 wrote:Can Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney be considered a VN? If so, that is something worth checking out. But it may not fall under the VN category, I guess, as it has a bit of gameplay as well. I don't know, really, I'm just a beginner to VNs. :)

Anyway, I'm making this post to ask a question. Muv Luv Alternative is the highest rated VN on VNDB, and the story seems good enough from the reviews I've read. (Some noted gore. How much gore is in it, exactly?) But at the same time, it's a sequel, and the original is supposedly bad, according to many that I have asked. Can someone tell me whether Alternative is actually worth playing the first one for?
the Ace Attorney series at their very core are Visual Novels.

even though there are choices to make, there is a linear path you must take, and the game focuses on character development and dialogue.

however considering what the usual visual novel is (Sengoku Rance, Air, Kanon) i would say that's a very loose term to use.
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Yeah, the definition seems to be a bit loose indeed.

Anyhow, I started Muv Luv Extra. And I actually like it a lot. It's by no means some deep story, but it's really funny. Some stuff seems borderline parody even, but it's a good change from KS. :D
Virgo888

Post by Virgo888 »

Hooooooly crap. Ok, I've ben playing alternative, and is good, it has a lot more deeper history and all, but...God Dammit, Why her face was destroyed. It's not like I can't stand it, it was just so unexpected..., man, it gives you quite the jump scare at a certain moment.
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Woah... Muv Luv is really good. Extra, I mean. It's seriously underrated. Sure, most of it seems parody-ish, but it's highly enjoyable. But one must be able to distinguish between the comical parts and the non-comical parts to enjoy it, I guess.
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

acewing905 wrote:Woah... Muv Luv is really good. Extra, I mean. It's seriously underrated. Sure, most of it seems parody-ish, but it's highly enjoyable. But one must be able to distinguish between the comical parts and the non-comical parts to enjoy it, I guess.
Trying to decide between Muv Luv or G-senjou as my fourth VN as of now.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
acewing905 wrote:Woah... Muv Luv is really good. Extra, I mean. It's seriously underrated. Sure, most of it seems parody-ish, but it's highly enjoyable. But one must be able to distinguish between the comical parts and the non-comical parts to enjoy it, I guess.
Trying to decide between Muv Luv or G-senjou as my fourth VN as of now.
Muv Luv is really damn long. G-Senjou is much shorter. BTW, while the side character routes are decent, the main character route (Haru) is clearly the canon one and the best by a long shot.
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

encrypted12345 wrote:Muv Luv is really damn long. G-Senjou is much shorter. BTW, while the side character routes are decent, the main character route (Haru) is clearly the canon one and the best by a long shot.
Ah. Well, I think that settles it, then. G-senjou it is.

I actually might put off Muv Luv entirely for the time being, seeing as how it spans three separate games.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

G-Senjou no Mauo would be my next one, after MLA. Have collected a lot these days. As my exams are finally over, VNs HERE I COME! :D
contown

Post by contown »

Hey encrypted12345, (or anyone else who might know) I found Demonbane pretty easily, but I haven't had any luck with Kikokugai the Cyber Slayer. Does anyone know where I can get it in english?
newnar

Post by newnar »

encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

contown wrote:Hey encrypted12345, (or anyone else who might know) I found Demonbane pretty easily, but I haven't had any luck with Kikokugai the Cyber Slayer. Does anyone know where I can get it in english?
Huh, I can't find it either. Once JAST releases it ... sometime next year (hopefully) it should be easier to obtain.

Shame. I just had an urge to replay it.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Anyone tried majikoi?
I'm thinking of giving it a go now--was discouraged due to download size and all (6GB are you kidding me??). But has anyone tried it?
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Megumeru wrote:Anyone tried majikoi?
I'm thinking of giving it a go now--was discouraged due to download size and all (6GB are you kidding me??). But has anyone tried it?
Nah. The translation won't be done until at least next year since after Miyako's route, the translator still has to do some more side character routes and the true route.

Everyone I know who has played it says that it's a boatload of fun though.
Bokito

Post by Bokito »

newnar wrote:Behold Robotics Notes
That isn't out yet though. Steins;Gate is, however, and it has a readable fanslation patch. It's really amazing, and while it's something different from all the romance VN's, it's a truly great story with loads of feels and great plot-twists.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

encrypted12345 wrote: Nah. The translation won't be done until at least next year since after Miyako's route, the translator still has to do some more side character routes and the true route.

Everyone I know who has played it says that it's a boatload of fun though.
Hmm...good enough.

I can read it translation or not, no sweat. Still, 6GB is pretty...discouraging
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story