Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

DMGnome

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by DMGnome »

The FAQ says linking to pirated material is verboten. We can argue about the morality of piracy, but this isn't really the right place to do so.
Fans destroy things by loving them too much. This is one of the fundamental laws of the universe.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Saviour huh? Right. Most of the games on that site are translated and can be bought from either Jast or Mangagamer and the respectful thing to do would be to get it from THEM instead of some shady download site that distribute VNs without letting the developers see a nickel in return.
vaelant

Post by vaelant »

DMGnome wrote:The FAQ says linking to pirated material is verboten. We can argue about the morality of piracy, but this isn't really the right place to do so.
yeah. i cant remember if i even read teh rules
Hanako > Shizune > Lily > Rin > Ami
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I'm trying to remember if I ever experienced something like this on teh internet before:
Usually, when someone posts a link to an illegal download site, the mods have to point to the rules/laws and delete the link, which almost ever leads to portests about censorship and endless discussions about the legality of downloads...
This has so far been managed without a mod even having to show himself.
And that on the fansite of some Eroge VN.

Makes me proud to be part of this community.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
UrbanBas

Post by UrbanBas »

Was I just complimented without actually doing anything? And everyone else of course.
I've always wondered. When people die they say there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Wouldn't that hint that they're going to hell. Hell is a pit of fire after all. Fire produces light.
vaelant

Post by vaelant »

Guest Poster wrote:Saviour huh? Right. Most of the games on that site are translated and can be bought from either Jast or Mangagamer and the respectful thing to do would be to get it from THEM instead of some shady download site that distribute VNs without letting the developers see a nickel in return.
like you've never downloaded something illegally
Hanako > Shizune > Lily > Rin > Ami
trhvmn

Post by trhvmn »

vaelant wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:Saviour huh? Right. Most of the games on that site are translated and can be bought from either Jast or Mangagamer and the respectful thing to do would be to get it from THEM instead of some shady download site that distribute VNs without letting the developers see a nickel in return.
like you've never downloaded something illegally
Let's not go there, yes?
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari-kari rock.
UrbanBas

Post by UrbanBas »

I thought this was for recommending VN's not discussing the morals of piracy? I say we end this discussion now before the topic gets locked.
I've always wondered. When people die they say there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Wouldn't that hint that they're going to hell. Hell is a pit of fire after all. Fire produces light.
Rocket Royal

Post by Rocket Royal »

Bumping up a bit, asking about FS/N. I should watch the anime first right?
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I haven't read the VN, but I heard the Anime is a mix of several of the VN's paths, so I think if you plan to view/read both, you should probably start with the VN, as the Anime will probably spoil all tree paths for you.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Roy-Kr

Post by Roy-Kr »

Rocket Royal wrote:Bumping up a bit, asking about FS/N. I should watch the anime first right?
NO.
The only righteous thing to do in this case is to read the original and deny the existence of any form of adaption.

On topic: I just read through "Don't Take it Personally, Babe, it Just Ain't Your Story" once. It's short, and i found it to be funny.
Recommended for those who can be amused by all sorts of little things without needing a huge dramatic story.
Hamachi ID: Melty Blood EU
Password: sugoisugoi
DMGnome

Post by DMGnome »

A new recommendation: Princess Waltz. Ordinary high school student Fukamori Arata gets dragged into a six-way free-for-all battle between Princesses fighting for the Crown. Obviously inspired by F/SN, but it's its own story, and it's quite good.

-Fight scenes are great.
-There's a card battle minigame. I enjoyed it, but I did question its necessity.
-The high school slice of life bits are much better integrated storywise than F/SN's were, and they're generally pretty funny.
-The translation's good, especially considering that it's a commercial release and they don't have the benefit of rereleases. I noticed maybe a typo every hour, hour and a half, and none of them were serious.
-F/SN's Bad End labyrinth is gone, in favor of an extremely linear story. Five endings, but they split off really close to the end and for all but one the only real difference is who gets the last H-scene.
-H-scenes are not as bad as F/SN's, but they suffer from the standard problems. Disembodied floating penes, dialogue is rife with clichés (and seriously, saying "she moans" works better than four pages of transcription, come on guys), and the characters are occasionally off-model in strange ways. That said, a few of my favorite lines are from the H-scenes, e.g.

"You said you would show me the pleasures of being a woman."
"I know. That's what I'm going to do."
"Do I have to be pressed up against a window?"

And one character's reaction to anal sex:
"Agh! I'm coming . . . I'm coming in my ass!"
And Arata's rather eloquent response:
"I know! I'm coming in your ass, too!"

Summary: Princess Waltz is fun. It doesn't do anything new, but it does the classic stuff well.
Last edited by DMGnome on Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fans destroy things by loving them too much. This is one of the fundamental laws of the universe.
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

DMGnome wrote:´And one character's reaction to anal sex:
"Agh! I'm coming . . . I'm coming in my ass!"
And Arata's rather eloquent response:
"I know! I'm coming in your ass, too!"
One of these two people is female, right? I can't imagine how a man would be... Coming in his own ass.
DMGnome

Post by DMGnome »

Yeah, that's Suzushiro's scene. All six princesses are female. At the beginning there's some serious Ho Yay with Chris Northfield, the mysterious transfer student, though. (Spoiler, although it's pretty obvious from the beginning, Chris is a girl.)
bradpara

Post by bradpara »

Clannad, Clannad and Clannad
Shizune=Hanako>Lilly>Emi=Rin
Family Game Night A Shizune After Story Fic