Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Esa94

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Esa94 »

Karpuzi wrote:Hey all,

First post and hopefully it's a good one! I'm new to VN's, I've just played this, "dont take it personally babe", and one other I'd like to recommend: Memo. http://www.artofdoom.com/memo/

It's short and sweet, has its flaws, but great artwork and interesting characters. Takes place in school, some similar themes as KS like student council and lunch time on the roof (is that a common Japanese thing?). No sexual content. I like this style of game, but it seems hard to find, especially since I use a Mac. Has anyone used a program like Wine to play games on a Mac? I want to start trying some of these "classic" visual novels.
This amuses me greatly.

Also, at least in my experience, VNs seem to work rather well with Wine, you should have no problems with that.
DMGnome

Post by DMGnome »

censuur wrote:Well the problem I have with ever17 and a lot of other VN's is that the characters don't behave like human beings, they behave like actors in a play, when people behave as utterly unrealistically as they did for the first portion of ever17 I find it impossible to immerse myself in the story of care about the characters

I prefer the kinds of stories like Soul Link, where the characters each have a clear goal and everything they do leads to accomplishing that goal as best as they can (despite you actually knowing their goal or not, all their actions lead toward a single goal) rather than characters wandering around trying to figure out what they want to be doing with themselves

Two of the characters just absolutely killed ever17 for me, one was the "main character" that arrives on the island and does nothing but act with complete disinterest for the event he is attending and then another that simply doesn't have a clue what he's doing and just wanders around being everyone's bitch for over 20 minutes into the story

In the end though, I guess what I'm asking is do the characters ever get actually motivated to accomplish something or will they just wander through the story regretting their fate and being carted from one "fated" event to the other without the characters themselves really impacting the events in any significant manner
Hmm. I'd justify the Kid's actions with the fact that he's lost all memory of everything. On my list of justifications for not-having-a-clue, total amnesia is pretty close to the top.

Ever17 starts kind of slow. It middles kind of slow, too. Honestly, the pacing is kind of screwy. It doesn't sound like you've read past the introduction, though, which seems strange to me. Ever17 takes a while to get going, but it's worth it.
Fans destroy things by loving them too much. This is one of the fundamental laws of the universe.
vaelant

Post by vaelant »

BustRobot wrote:I'd also recommend the Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o series. (They're yuri for those who may not know)
They're short (you can finish one in 4-6 hours) and hardly heavy on story, but the characters are excellent and what make them worth playing. To the best of my knowledge the first 3 games are translated, with projects on-going for most, if not all the others.
I started reading the first one not too long ago and quickly lost interest when it turned out to be just sex and pillow talk.
They're all like that, they're just purely 3-4 hours of "omg i fucking love you" shortly followed by "this is not the place" but they go ahead and get it off anyway. You get the Hour, maybe 2 tops of some kinda story, which is still "I met you once ages ago, and I couldn't stop thinking about you" "omg me too". I'd recommend these if you just want to read 4 hours of school girls getting freaky with each other, if you're after an actual story, you're very very lost.
Hanako > Shizune > Lily > Rin > Ami
UrbanBas

Post by UrbanBas »

I'm fairly new to VN's so I don't have many under my belt but I would recommend a couple.

1. KiraKira - The VN focuses a lot on the story than the sex scenes. The character development is awesome and by the end of it I felt like I had known all the characters. Of course that was just my reaction. And it has a healthy amount of humor added in.

2. Edelweiss - This one was insanely funny as being a couple of teenage boys are allowed to join an all girl's boarding school just made the situation hilarious as you and your rag tag group of friends try to get lucky. The bad ending was strange but plausible. I laughed at it as well. The bad ending is easy to skip however so don't worry as you are given plenty of time to solve your situation. You actually have to try to get it as well.
I've always wondered. When people die they say there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Wouldn't that hint that they're going to hell. Hell is a pit of fire after all. Fire produces light.
Shades of gray
Location: Those two eyes under that rock, yeah, the ones watching you? Thats me...

Post by Shades of gray »

vaelant wrote: They're all like that, they're just purely 3-4 hours of "omg i fucking love you" shortly followed by "this is not the place" but they go ahead and get it off anyway. You get the Hour, maybe 2 tops of some kinda story, which is still "I met you once ages ago, and I couldn't stop thinking about you" "omg me too". I'd recommend these if you just want to read 4 hours of school girls getting freaky with each other, if you're after an actual story, you're very very lost.
reading that actually brings up a interesting point : what do people consider long and short for VNs, and how long will KS be (when its done)

secondly, VNs with nothing but "school girls getting freaky with each other" yeah... well thats what the internet is for... some of us actually prefer story in our VNs... (I like a healthy dose of story with my "school girls getting freaky with each other" TYVM.)

god that ^ just sounds wrong on so many levels...

anyways I'm going to recommend (for those of us that can read Japanese) Shuffle Essence+ (translation pending :/ )
2 kidneys for sale, slightly used, non-functional, no refunds.
trhvmn

Post by trhvmn »

Ah... the fact that all of the VNs that I've read have already been mentioned in here tells me that I should read more. Or at least finish Tsukihime.

...all of the VNs that I've read, except for one: Sengoku Rance. Which I'm not even sure is a VN, but I still enjoyed it greatly. The strategy aspect is hard enough to be challenging without being annoying (except for the blitzes, goddamn), the story starts off pretty normal but suddenly starts taking turns to the awesome, and the dating sim/VN part is lighthearted and fun.
Note that the game has a lot of h-scenes, though. Every female character with a name has at least one, except for like... three of them, I think.

As a note to Sono Hanabira, it's one of my favorite series, mostly because Peko's art is so incredibly adorable and makes the cute girls having cute sex even cuter.

Finally, I'll mention that I wish more VNs did the thing that Yume Miru Kusuri did, where the options that you chose on previous playthroughs were highlighted.
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hari-kari rock.
BustRobot

Post by BustRobot »

Shades of gray wrote:reading that actually brings up a interesting point : what do people consider long and short for VNs, and how long will KS be (when its done)

secondly, VNs with nothing but "school girls getting freaky with each other" yeah... well thats what the internet is for... some of us actually prefer story in our VNs... (I like a healthy dose of story with my "school girls getting freaky with each other" TYVM.)

god that ^ just sounds wrong on so many levels...

Sometimes just some light, cute and fluffy love makes a nice change from what can be heavier stuff. I like story with my VNs, but if it's done well then a VN may not need much of a story, just enjoyable characters. Personal preferences come into things too, I suppose.
Open up our narrow minds.
Censuur

Post by Censuur »

A good VN is always short (too short ^^)

A bad VN is always long :D
DMGnome

Post by DMGnome »

No.
Fans destroy things by loving them too much. This is one of the fundamental laws of the universe.
UrbanBas

Post by UrbanBas »

Censuur wrote:A good VN is always short (too short ^^)

A bad VN is always long :D
You probably don't like KS then do you.
I've always wondered. When people die they say there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Wouldn't that hint that they're going to hell. Hell is a pit of fire after all. Fire produces light.
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

He probably meant that along the lines of "There's never enough of a good thing, and always too much of a bad thing", rather than saying anything about actual quality based on length ">_>
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
X_Bacon

Post by X_Bacon »

vaelant wrote:I am here to take up the role of saviour for people that are unable to find forementioned vns in this thread

(snipped url)

This website has a large quantity of VN's that have been translated, the owner of the site wants to get every English translated VN on there. And for those who are wondering, yes many H games. The only downside, is that the links for the downloads go to things like fileserve and other things. And some are often part 1, part 2, making you spend a little while getting it all. They're also .rar / .zip so get winRAR if you dont already.
Also, some may be a little buggy, Shuffle! runs like you're playing Crysis on Windows 95 unless you disable the music. In the event you find a bug, consult that games comments, usually someone has asked and the resolve has already been done.

Enjoy.

*edit, I think they all have H in there somewhere, except the 07th expansion VN's*
I'd actually recommend buying those VN's. Y'know, give the devs proper support instead of fueling the arguments that fan-translations incite piracy.
Rocket Royal

Post by Rocket Royal »

We're not allowed to talk about pirate stuff. It's IN THE ROOLBOOK GAISE.
vaelant

Post by vaelant »

but then very few are actually translated into English, the only site ive found that charges for them is the G-collections website
Hanako > Shizune > Lily > Rin > Ami
X_Bacon

Post by X_Bacon »

vaelant wrote:but then very few are actually translated into English, the only site ive found that charges for them is the G-collections website
There's also Mangagamer, JAST USA and Peach Princess. The last two, along with G-Collections, are part of the same group.
JAST just released Demonbane last month, I'm thinking about getting it.