Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Flutterz

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Flutterz »

Episode 1 of Refrain aired a few hours ago, all that's left is to wait for it to pop up on the internet. :D
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Flutterz wrote:Episode 1 of Refrain aired a few hours ago, all that's left is to wait for it to pop up on the internet. :D
On the topic of VN to anime adaptations, the highest rated VN on Erogamescape, White Album 2, has just started airing. Considering it's rated higher than other top VNs like MLA, Steins;Gate and Cross Channel, you would expect it to be definitely worth a watch. Shame it'll take so long to get fully translated, if it ever does.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

I'd be wary of ratings anywhere, since they seem to reflect a rather conventionally-biased groupmind.

For example, I'd not consider Sharin no Kuni anything more than "eh", and other members of 4LS have found Grisaia and Cross Channel very unimpressive.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Silentcook wrote:I'd be wary of ratings anywhere, since they seem to reflect a rather conventionally-biased groupmind.

For example, I'd not consider Sharin no Kuni anything more than "eh", and other members of 4LS have found Grisaia and Cross Channel very unimpressive.
I just use ratings to get a rough sense of the chances that I'll like something. Although it also helps that I'll read just about anything.
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

rterman wrote:Any recommendations for VNs that are a) playable on the iPad or Mac; b) free?
For iPad, I would recommend Planetarian. Its nice kinetic novel that will give a basis idea about Key games. Unfortunately, it is not a free game. As for Mac, I have no idea as I do not own one.
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

I know I'm late to the party, but I finally picked up Kira*Kira and Curtain Call.

Installation was a bit tricky, but I got it to work. The music's cool so far, which is the main reason I was interested in it. There are a lot of grammar and spelling errors, though. Also, I doubt it was intentional, but it reads kinda like a Hemingway novel, which is kinda cool.
"Who are you, that do not know your history?" -Ulysses
Misha Time: United States of Misha Meet the Hakamichis
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
"You are absolutely insane. And entertaining." -griffon8
hitman555z

Post by hitman555z »

im not sure how many pages ago i mentioned these, but i recommend Corpse Party and Zero Escape Virtues Last Reward.

both are on ps vita, so you may need to buy it if you dont have it yet. ZEVLR actually was free as a psn plus exclusive some time ago.

oh yea, Danganronpa is also a good VN, but thats coming out next year.
no hidden message in here
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Ok so KS was the first vn I've ever read through, that was quite some time ago, and i haven't touched vns.ever since. Recently i was informed of a VN called "Ever 17", which is a :D very different vn then KS, but it is VERY good from what I've read so far. So yeah, i recommended a vn.
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

I recommend Kendo Crush!, which I think will reach Key's level when it's finished. :)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Blasphemy

Post by Blasphemy »

Just finished Saya no Uta and have to say I didn't really like it.

The music was great, voice acting pretty good — although I rarely waited for the voices when I could just read ahead and art quality seems relatively high. However while I understand that the imagery probably isn't supposed to show how the monsters look in their entirety, so that you can let your own mind create some truly horrific images, I was still slightly annoyed when little could be seen in certain scenes. The overall fleshy-world look is still some strong imagery though.

The basic premise of the story was actually really interesting to me; that's quite the horrifying scenario after all.

However, ultimately the characters and the 'idiot plot' made this a very mediocre experience to me. I had a hard time emphasizing with many of the characters, especially Fuminori, because the justification for a lot of the actions still seemed too weak, even considering the horrific circumstances. It just didn't feel all that well executed. Everyone acting like your generic, dumb horror movie character didn't help matters.

"Awful stench? Closed shutters? Overall creepy circumstances? Let's enter this house and keep searching even after seeing how fucked up everything is! Why? Well... uhm, the plot... needs to continue?"

Also, how Kouji can care so little about his relatively long-term girlfriend is just absolutely beyond me.

I personally wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for a decent plot and characters that you can emphasize with and act somewhat intelligently.
sennit

Post by sennit »

I've temporarily returned to the forums to let everyone know I finally found one. A free VN that is actually well written. It was like finding buried treasure :D I'll see if I can find a link. It is called Homeward.
sennit

Post by sennit »

http://homeward.renai.us/

Here we are. This definitely ranks as my second favorite VN. Bonus points for being free :P It was good enough that I had to share it with people who would appreciate it. Enjoy :wink:
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Might be worth a look- a free short little romp with a bit of a twist in the story.

At least, that's what the reviews are suggesting.
Awesome, served on the rocks: Hisao and Kenji- Master Detectives! (Check out the Archive for more!)
I wrote a book! Brythain edited it! If you like mystery and history please consider: A Sister's Habit
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Hoitash wrote:Might be worth a look- a free short little romp with a bit of a twist in the story.

At least, that's what the reviews are suggesting.
I read this a few weeks ago and it was pretty good. I'm not sure how long it took, but I'd guess something around 8-10 hours spread over 3 days. The characters were good, but I didn't care for the protagonist, who was a little too enamored of holding the Idiot Ball. I enjoyed Haruka's route the most, which surprised me because she was the least interesting of the three love interests.

But yeah, I'd recommend it.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Hoitash

Post by Hoitash »

Well the download vanished from my computer for mysterious reasons (I'm guessing some sort of temp file shenanigans) and wouldn't play when I downloaded it, so I'm not sure I'll get to read it in any case.

Oh the joys of technology...