Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Flutterz

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Flutterz »

Nobody in Particular wrote:
Flutterz wrote: Speaking of which, is Air not very good, or is it simply that nobody gotten around to finishing a translation?
Anyway... that sucks.
Isn't it like the highest selling KEY game in Japan? It's generally considered to be around the same level as Clannad and Little Busters, so clearly it is highly rated. It never got finished because originally the translation group got a C&D, then when another group picked it up later their main translator quit and they had to start all over again. Currently being translated, perhaps third time's the charm?
Flutterz wrote:But if you mean http://vndb.org/v15, it's already on my list, just further down.
No, I meant Japanese text. Never played that one myself.
Ah, that explains it. Hopefully they do finally manage to finish it. And no, I can't read a word of Japanese.
I have a big list that constantly changes based on random things I hear about VNs everywhere, so I probably won't get to it anytime soon, if it even stays on the list.
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Well, I've now finished Little Busters! as well, save for Kurugaya's true route, but I'll do that later today.
It was good. Really good. Even though it seems to have the usual Key mysterious/fantasy setting, after a while everything starts to feel a bit off, and for good reason. Each of the routes is different, have quite a bit of feels and going into one, you never know even the slightest bit about what is/will be bothering the girl. And the final route does an amazing job of bringing it all together, revealing everything bit-by-bit, so unless you weren't playing attention, you know what the reveal is a little bit before it is shown directly.
Random interesting fact: The good luck charm that Kud asks you to cast on her before she leaves is actually a bad luck charm. The idea is that so as to not jinx something, instead of wishing the person good luck, you wish them bad luck and they respond with "k cherty"(go to hell), basically negating the bad luck. It's a wonder she makes it back after you wish her such bad luck. The more you know :D
Moving on, Chaos;Head is next. Also, Steins;Gate doesn't have a full English translation yet, does it?
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Flutterz wrote: Moving on, Chaos;Head is next. Also, Steins;Gate doesn't have a full English translation yet, does it?
Steins;Gate does indeed have a complete English translation, even the tips have been translated now.I think the only reason it isn't classed as "complete" is because it hasn't been properly edited, but I picked it up after Chaos;Head and the translation seemed fine to me.

I need to get around to finishing Steins;Gate
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Flutterz wrote: Moving on, Chaos;Head is next. Also, Steins;Gate doesn't have a full English translation yet, does it?
Steins;Gate does indeed have a complete English translation, even the tips have been translated now.I think the only reason it isn't classed as "complete" is because it hasn't been properly edited, but I picked it up after Chaos;Head and the translation seemed fine to me.

I need to get around to finishing Steins;Gate
Great, thanks for clearing that up. :)
Deardrops

Post by Deardrops »

Nobody in Particular wrote:I need to get around to finishing Steins;Gate
Ah dear, sorry to ask but I don't suppose you could help at all could you? I've been trying to install Steins;Gate for the past two hours now but I'm getting tons of problems with this 'vorbis' business.
Any ideas at all? Did you have the same problem or was it smoothly done for you? :s
"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Deardrops wrote:
Nobody in Particular wrote:I need to get around to finishing Steins;Gate
Ah dear, sorry to ask but I don't suppose you could help at all could you? I've been trying to install Steins;Gate for the past two hours now but I'm getting tons of problems with this 'vorbis' business.
Any ideas at all? Did you have the same problem or was it smoothly done for you? :s
I have a similar problem with Narcissu.

It keeps crashing once she gets her driver's license, and I keep hearing really bad reviews about it, so I'm wondering if I should even try it with a fresh install.

Is Narcissu good?
Emibro, [Hanabro],[Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

Currently: None.
To do list: Clannad, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate
Finished: Toradora, Katawa Shoujo, Analogue: A hate story, Narcissu.
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:I have a similar problem with Narcissu.

It keeps crashing once she gets her driver's license, and I keep hearing really bad reviews about it, so I'm wondering if I should even try it with a fresh install.

Is Narcissu good?
Going to assume you're trolling with that question. Either that or you haven't read this thread quite so thoroughly.

In any case I believe if you download the sequel, Narcissu Side 2nd, that comes with a non-crashing copy of the first game as well. That should fix your problem.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
Shadowyeclipse wrote:I have a similar problem with Narcissu.

Is Narcissu good?
Going to assume you're trolling with that question. Either that or you haven't read this thread quite so thoroughly.

In any case I believe if you download the sequel, Narcissu Side 2nd, that comes with a non-crashing copy of the first game as well. That should fix your problem.
That is correct. When downloading the sequel you get 3 different translations of the first game. :)

Narcissu is one of the best VNs you'll ever get your hands on. I believe it's the most recommended VN in this entire thread. :lol:
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

No, I'm seriously not trolling, I heard online in several places that it was horrible, so I came here to check that.

I'll have to download the sequel then.

OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

I advice you to never trust those websites again.
Some people say that everything made by Akella is shit. I say that Akella made some of the best games ever. :P
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

OtakuNinja wrote:I advice you to never trust those websites again.
Some people say that everything made by Akella is shit. I say that Akella made some of the best games ever. :P

Yeah, I've downloaded and started playing, and so far I am at the part where your buddy/girl person gives you a 10,000 yen note for gas, and I'm confused as to whether the protagonist is male or female, since the gas attendant calls you "sir".

To be honest, it's good... but this shit is more confusing than Rin's route.

Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Does anyone have any thoughts on Grisaia no Kajitsu? Currently watching TLWiki's translation progress like a hawk, but I'm not really sure how much I should be anticipating its release.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Deardrops wrote:Ah dear, sorry to ask but I don't suppose you could help at all could you? I've been trying to install Steins;Gate for the past two hours now but I'm getting tons of problems with this 'vorbis' business.
I don't remember having any difficulties with the Steins;Gate installation. Just make sure you are in Japanese locale, because that's all that I did.
Shadowyeclipse wrote:No, I'm seriously not trolling, I heard online in several places that it was horrible, so I came here to check that.
Narcissu is... rather hit or miss for most people. The characters seem to be the main cause of that.
Shadowyeclipse wrote: Yeah, I've downloaded and started playing, and so far I am at the part where your buddy/girl person gives you a 10,000 yen note for gas, and I'm confused as to whether the protagonist is male or female, since the gas attendant calls you "sir".

The protagonist is male. I don't really see how it is confusing though, one of the things I liked about Narcissu was how straightforward and blunt it was. Also, stay away from Forest.
Mysterious Stranger wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on Grisaia no Kajitsu? Currently watching TLWiki's translation progress like a hawk, but I'm not really sure how much I should be anticipating its release.
Well if it counts for anything, it is one of the few translation projects that Moogy doesn't criticize. Although does anyone even listen to his opinions anymore?
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Deardrops wrote:Ah dear, sorry to ask but I don't suppose you could help at all could you? I've been trying to install Steins;Gate for the past two hours now but I'm getting tons of problems with this 'vorbis' business.
I don't remember having any difficulties with the Steins;Gate installation. Just make sure you are in Japanese locale, because that's all that I did.
Shadowyeclipse wrote:No, I'm seriously not trolling, I heard online in several places that it was horrible, so I came here to check that.
Narcissu is... rather hit or miss for most people. The characters seem to be the main cause of that.
Shadowyeclipse wrote: Yeah, I've downloaded and started playing, and so far I am at the part where your buddy/girl person gives you a 10,000 yen note for gas, and I'm confused as to whether the protagonist is male or female, since the gas attendant calls you "sir".

The protagonist is male. I don't really see how it is confusing though, one of the things I liked about Narcissu was how straightforward and blunt it was. Also, stay away from Forest.
Mysterious Stranger wrote:Does anyone have any thoughts on Grisaia no Kajitsu? Currently watching TLWiki's translation progress like a hawk, but I'm not really sure how much I should be anticipating its release.
Well if it counts for anything, it is one of the few translation projects that Moogy doesn't criticize. Although does anyone even listen to his opinions anymore?

It never truly said you were male, though that would explain why she was so nervous about washing herself in the car with you.

But I always assumed you were female due to a voiceover I used for the prologue. Decided it was a pain in the ass, turned it off and assumed protag was female.

Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Well, I've finished Chaos;Head, and although it is certainly good, it isn't really on the level of other VNs. The story isn't as good as, say, Ever17's, the feels aren't as strong as the ones in KS or anything by Key, and it isn't really on the level of craziness that Saya no Uta is. Add to that the fact that there are pretty much no choices, and it ends up being more like reading a novel. A pretty good novel, but not an amazing one.
Also because of the 3D segments of the game, which my netbook is for some reason incapable of running, I was forced to read it all at home, rather than being able to read it anywhere, like I'd read all other VNs except KS.
Alright then, gonna be doing Narcissu next.