Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Lanyx

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Lanyx »

Seeing as in 18 pages any that I've even heard of have probably been mentioned, I'd just like to add Corpse Party for the psp. It presents itself as an RPG, and you do actually move your character around, but it's definitely a visual novel. The only real choices you make are plot choices, not gameplay ones, though I think there are one or two instances where there is some sort of a gameplay/reaction mechanic you have to pass to continue, and maybe a puzzle or two. I really enjoyed the story.

Either way, it's also listed on visual novel sites. I'll also put a +1 for Saya no Uta, which was simply an amazing experience. Very chilling.
laamentio

Post by laamentio »

Or Snatcher(sega cd) or Policenauts(playstation, never was release in english, but there is a patch) (both Hideo Kojima works)

Famicom Detective Club Part II (Super Nintendo SatelliteView, japanese only there is a patch)...

Those are some of the best VN that the west never heard of it.
Atticon

Post by Atticon »

Most of the classics have already been recommended, but if we're talking about recent stuff that's translated, there's Majikoi (Maji de Watashi Ni Koi Shinasai).
I know it totally doesn't fit in the same category as KS, but I'd recommend it nonetheless, especially if people want something lighter after KS.
It's got lots of ero but it's also genuinely funny, sporting a stellar voice cast.

Translation is still ongoing though, with the Prologue and 3 of the main routes finished, with a 4th coming out in a few weeks: http://yandere.gray7.com/
rydiafan

Other VN's to play ??

Post by rydiafan »

Now im not going ask ( other VNs like KS ... cause KS isn't like anything else ) ... but im still sorta new to the VN thing ... so what other VNs have great stories and charcter deveolpment ... btw im getting Kara:little sister and the drug that makes you dream in an anime order im getting ( so other then those 2 )
Exterminator 2000

Re: Other VN's to play ??

Post by Exterminator 2000 »

rydiafan wrote:btw im getting Kara:little sister and the drug that makes you dream in an anime order im getting ( so other then those 2 )
Good choices. I haven't played Little Sister yet, but Yume Miru Kusuri is great.

I don't know too many other VNs to be honest, but there is one VN that's pretty much a must: Ever 17 - The Out of Infinity. Like I said, I don't know many VNs myself, but from what I've heard there aren't many that come close to this one in terms of story (and I personally love it to this day).
"One guy. Two girls. In a dorm room. With a tea set.
Sounds pretty dodgy when I phrase it like that."
---
"The point of no return was 1000 miles ago."
---
"What's the name of that feeling in your heart, that the world is going to be alright?"
newnar

Re: Other VN's to play ??

Post by newnar »

Played this old VN called Red Shift. Not bad but pretty short. It's a kinetic novel though, meaning no choices, just treat it like a storybook.

I just started on G-senjou no Maou after I dropped Sharin no Kuni. Sharin no Kuni is just plain weird and it doesn't make any sense. Played Mirai no Kimi to, Subete no Uta ni as well. It was just too much repetitive slice-of-life, apart from that it's pretty much ok. But I'm a huge Miku fan so I dunno if that counts.

Imma gonna start on Saya no Uta, Kikokugai, Little Busters, Clannad, Air, Cross Channel later.

EDIT: Ah yes Yume Miru Kusuri. Another one on the list.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Bumping up the Visual Novel Recommendation thread, so people stop making new threads.

Anyways, among emotional visual novels or nakige, Katawa Shoujo is really weird. Most nakiges rely on plot or atmosphere whereas Katawa Shoujo relies on characterization and realism. Acknowledge that you won't find a VN that's quite like this, and you should be able to enjoy the Visual Novel medium more.
newnar

Post by newnar »

OMG I'm playing G-Senjou no Maou and WTF THERE'S A GIRL WHO LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE HANAKO JUST WITHOUT HER SCARS!!!!!! MY BRAIN IS GETTING FRIED!!!!!!!
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

newnar wrote:OMG I'm playing G-Senjou no Maou and WTF THERE'S A GIRL WHO LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE HANAKO JUST WITHOUT HER SCARS!!!!!! MY BRAIN IS GETTING FRIED!!!!!!!
Ah, G-Senjou no Maou. Good times, Good times. Are you talking about Haru? Let's just say she acts nothing like Hanako. She's an awesome character though.
newnar

Post by newnar »

encrypted12345 wrote:
newnar wrote:OMG I'm playing G-Senjou no Maou and WTF THERE'S A GIRL WHO LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE HANAKO JUST WITHOUT HER SCARS!!!!!! MY BRAIN IS GETTING FRIED!!!!!!!
Ah, G-Senjou no Maou. Good times, Good times. Are you talking about Haru? Let's just say she acts nothing like Hanako. She's an awesome character though.

Yea I just realised. But still, Usami is so goddamn hot! In fact, every single girl in G-senjou no Maou are so interesting and attractive in their own way, I can't even pick my favourites. The story is intriguing too, it just got a thousand percent more interesting with Kyousuke's first meeting with Gonzo.
MrBoomba

Post by MrBoomba »

newnar wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:

Yea I just realised. But still, Usami is so goddamn hot! In fact, every single girl in G-senjou no Maou are so interesting and attractive in their own way, I can't even pick my favourites. The story is intriguing too, it just got a thousand percent more interesting with Kyousuke's first meeting with Gonzo.
G-Senjou no Maou is very good! just finished with all the routes on it and I have to say the ending of Haru's route, where Maou hijacks the entire area and then fakes his death COMPLETELY THREW ME OFF, that hit me emotionally so hard when Kyouske actually had to go through jail and Haru shows up outside saying she will always be with it.

Also I already put this in the other VN thread, but Eternal Aselia(Eien no Aselia) is an amazing game if you havent played it yet you should, best plot ive ever seen in a vn that has a fantasy setting that actually attempts some form of realism within the fantasy setting, my #1 fav VN as of yet with KS and The Devil on G String right behind it.
bp22601

Post by bp22601 »

I just finished G-Senjou and it was awesome. I thought I had the whole thing figured out from the beginning but i didn't realize that Maou was the brother of Kyosuke Also Usami's route was definitely the best and i guess its the "true" route. The others felt lacking and like a chore to do. Awesome VN.
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Phew. After reading through all 19 pages of this thread, I've developed quite a shopping list. Although I'm exceedingly glad that KS has been my first visual novel, since it seems that I'm not going to find anything remotely like it, except maybe in YMK and Crescendo - perhaps I'll get my hands on those two first? Regardless, my thanks to everyone who made a recommendation.

These are going to keep me busy for quite some time. Hopefully I'll actually be able to find time for 2012's conventional releases. I'll be goddamned if BioShock: Infinite gets held up by any of these.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Mysterious Stranger wrote:Although I'm exceedingly glad that KS has been my first visual novel, since it seems that I'm not going to find anything remotely like it, except maybe in YMK and Crescendo.
Yeah, I find it difficult to think up of VNs to recommend KS fans because of this. YMK has a completely different tone and execution from Katawa Shoujo even though they seem very similar. While a significant amount of KS fans like it, a significant amount drop it as well. Kids these days who lack the Willing Suspension of Disbelief. :lol: Not sure about Crescendo though. I might as well check out Crescendo once I'm done with by personal VN backlog.
Nihilistic_Idealist

Recommend me a Visual Novel.

Post by Nihilistic_Idealist »

I'm new to this niche and obscure little genre, Katawa Shoujo being one of the first VNs I've played and the only one I've played til the very end. I wouldn't be here if I were to say I wasn't impressed by Katawa Shoujo. The game (that is if you can classify Visuals Novels as games) was to my suprise a charming, funny, intelligent, and heartwarming experience. With that said, I have to admit Katawa Shoujo piqued my curiosity for visual novels upon playing it. So, can you recommend me a well-written VN with a strong cast characters that aren't creepy adolescent male fantasies? I hear nothing but good things about Fate/Stay Night and Ever 17: Out of Infinity, should I start out with one of those?

Also, don't recommend me Clannad. I've already tried that and while it wasn't as bad as I anticipated it to be, I still wasn't impressed by it. Sorry Clannad fans.