Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Flutterz

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Flutterz »

Walshy12238 wrote:Alright so I fired up Narcissu, because after hearing how good it was, I felt I had to try it out, and I instantly cringed; I couldn't get past the "oldness" of it, if that's what you can even call it. Like, I don't know whether I'm being too picky or something, but it really seems like I'm just going to not be able to enjoy it because of the production quality I guess you could say.

Am I being too picky? :P
It doesn't have much of anything besides a great story and and some backgrounds - in that sense it's not the best thing to really get into VNs with, because it only a few steps away from being a short story. :P And yes, you're being a little picky, and quite frankly being picky will make you miss out on a lot of great VNs.
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

Flutterz wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:Alright so I fired up Narcissu, because after hearing how good it was, I felt I had to try it out, and I instantly cringed; I couldn't get past the "oldness" of it, if that's what you can even call it. Like, I don't know whether I'm being too picky or something, but it really seems like I'm just going to not be able to enjoy it because of the production quality I guess you could say.

Am I being too picky? :P
It doesn't have much of anything besides a great story and and some backgrounds - in that sense it's not the best thing to really get into VNs with, because it only a few steps away from being a short story. :P And yes, you're being a little picky, and quite frankly being picky will make you miss out on a lot of great VNs.
I'm a self-confessed nitpicker, don't worry :P

How long does it actually take to get through it? 2-3 hours? 4-5? I'm still not entirely sure what constitutes "short" in terms of VNs, because KS is so long and still the only one I've properly read
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Walshy12238 wrote:I'm a self-confessed nitpicker, don't worry :P

How long does it actually take to get through it? 2-3 hours? 4-5? I'm still not entirely sure what constitutes "short" in terms of VNs, because KS is so long and still the only one I've properly read
Well, perhaps you'll get used to it with time, and won't miss out on much. :P
I'm generally really bad at keeping track of time, even more so when reading VNs, but I think it was about 2-3 hours. I'd say that's "very short" in terms of VNs. By the way, there are some VNs that are significantly longer than KS. :D
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

Flutterz wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:I'm a self-confessed nitpicker, don't worry :P

Well, perhaps you'll get used to it with time, and won't miss out on much. :P
I'm generally really bad at keeping track of time, even more so when reading VNs, but I think it was about 2-3 hours. I'd say that's "very short" in terms of VNs. By the way, there are some VNs that are significantly longer than KS. :D
Well if it's only 2-3 hours, I think I'll be able to handle the "oldness" of it :P Everyone has said great things about it, so I'm sure it's not unbearable...
Also, seriously? My save file from when I played KS through the first time was something like 33 hours and I don't even know if that's a save point towards the end of the game...
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Walshy12238 wrote:Well if it's only 2-3 hours, I think I'll be able to handle the "oldness" of it :P Everyone has said great things about it, so I'm sure it's not unbearable...
Also, seriously? My save file from when I played KS through the first time was something like 33 hours and I don't even know if that's a save point towards the end of the game...
It reads almost like a book, you'll be fine. :P
I'm curious to see what your reaction to Kanon will be.
And it's about the same length as KS. :lol:

Yeah, there are a few really long ones like Clannad, Fate/Stay Night, Little Busters!, Muv-Luv, just to name a few. No clue how long I spent on them, but vndb says they're all 50+ hours, and I'm inclined to believe that.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Walshy12238 wrote:Am I being too picky? :P
Yes you are. :|
Walshy12238 wrote:How long does it actually take to get through it? 2-3 hours? 4-5? I'm still not entirely sure what constitutes "short" in terms of VNs, because KS is so long and still the only one I've properly read
The first Narcissu takes about 2 hours and the second takes about 5-6 hours. And believe me, KS in not a long VN. It's actually pretty short. :lol:
Flutterz wrote:I'm curious to see what your reaction to Kanon will be.
http://s.vndb.org/sf/68/4268.jpg

Yeah, there are a few really long ones like Clannad, Fate/Stay Night, Little Busters!, Muv-Luv, just to name a few. No clue how long I spent on them, but vndb says they're all 50+ hours, and I'm inclined to believe that.
Why does everyone think Kanon's art is bad??? It's actually really good! :(

Clannad and LB are about 100+ hours. :lol:
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

I have to say that art isn't sooo bad, I could probably deal with it :P And KS is seriously considered not that long? That thing took me forever...

Also, I've heard that the Clannad anime is good, but I haven't heard anything much about the VN; thoughts?
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Walshy12238 wrote:I have to say that art isn't sooo bad, I could probably deal with it :P And KS is seriously considered not that long? That thing took me forever...

Also, I've heard that the Clannad anime is good, but I haven't heard anything much about the VN; thoughts?
KS took me about 5 hours on each route. :lol:

Yeah the anime is good, but I recommend that you watch it after playing the VN. The VN is good, but I prefer Kanon. There are too many decision points in Clannad.
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

OtakuNinja wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:I have to say that art isn't sooo bad, I could probably deal with it :P And KS is seriously considered not that long? That thing took me forever...

Yeah the anime is good, but I recommend that you watch it after playing the VN. The VN is good, but I prefer Kanon. There are too many decision points in Clannad.
I'm so slow :P

Is it good enough to warrant investing 100+ hours in it? I mean that is a looong time
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Walshy12238 wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:

I'm so slow :P

Is it good enough to warrant investing 100+ hours in it? I mean that is a looong time
At least complete a few of the main heroines' routes in the School Arc. :3
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

OtakuNinja wrote: At least complete a few of the main heroines' routes in the School Arc. :3
I most likely will, I don't have much to do these days :P
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Walshy12238 wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote: At least complete a few of the main heroines' routes in the School Arc. :3
I recommend Kyou, Kotomi and Ryou for the first playthroughs. The other routes have some extra options that will come into effect after completing 100%.
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

OtakuNinja wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:
I recommend Kyou, Kotomi and Ryou for the first playthroughs. The other routes have some extra options that will come into effect after completing 100%.
I'm assuming those are some of the characters? So is it similar in style to KS, how the choices you make lead you down a certain character's path?
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Walshy12238 wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote: I recommend Kyou, Kotomi and Ryou for the first playthroughs. The other routes have some extra options that will come into effect after completing 100%.
I'm assuming those are some of the characters? So is it similar in style to KS, how the choices you make lead you down a certain character's path?
Nope. KS is one of few VNs with that system.
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

OtakuNinja wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote: I recommend Kyou, Kotomi and Ryou for the first playthroughs. The other routes have some extra options that will come into effect after completing 100%.
Nope. KS is one of few VNs with that system.
Ah okay, well I'll make sure to get my hands on it and find out what it's like