Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

AaronIsCrunchy

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

It was brought up by Sea I think on the first page of this thread, and has probably been mentioned countless times since then, but True Remembrance is actually fantastic. A mostly well-paced, interesting story with pleasant art, the length means it can be completed in a few hours. Made me cry manly tears of manhood, which is something I honestly don't feel people, (particularly males, even if they're not manly tears of manhood), are given the opportunity to do enough. Will definitely be patrolling this thread for more VN's :)
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Tidus

Post by Tidus »

This is more or less a question as to if you guys would recommend it...

But anyway, Kud Wafter? Anyone played it? Would you guys who have played it recommend I play Little Busters! first?

Ohhh..True Remembrance is free. I'll download that and play it through.

After the onslaught of nakige, I could really use a more cheerful VN, right now. XD

I'm also in the mood for a very long one.
Bring her back...
Can you smile for her?
...or take me with her.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Flowershop: Summer In Springville is a pretty good dating sim. Not as good as KJ, but nice still. And oddly enough, I ended up with the runner girl in that one too, and that was before KS*...

*It's not quite a route-based VN, so I don't count it as my first true dating sim

Also, there's a sequel for girls called Winter In Springville that has guys to date, and assumes the MC from the first game is still single as a prospect.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Nikola Tesla

Post by Nikola Tesla »

Fealow wrote:I know i mentioned this in my last post, but... "G Senjō no Maō (The Devil on G-string)"

Oh... my... fucking.... god!

This VN! I finished my first play through yesterday and... and... just fucking wow XD The story is a fucking masterpiece! IF there is one thing I do before I die, it is to get all of you to play this VN!

Seriously I can not commend it enough!

I'm too awe struck to go into the fine details right now, but if you ever get the chance please play it! The adrenaline rush, the feels, the anxiety, the humor, the confusion, the shock, the horror and everything in between is just too good!
Not bad, I got Tsubaki's ending and it's alright but seeing I missed out much I'll reload.

Kanon's route is f*ing amazing.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

So, not sure if it appeared in here yet or not, but I finally got around to reading Marry Me Misato. It's a bittersweet, charming little thing that's free and takes less than ten minutes to go through completely. I feel like it could have gone further and explored the consequences of the inevitable choice the narrator was going to have to make, but as it is, I liked it.

Although I must say, I'm not a whole lot closer to becoming fictional after reading it, which is a huge let-down. Like, how am I supposed to ask Emi out let alone propose to her if she can't even hear me? This was supposed to have ANSWERS, dammit!!
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

SpunkySix wrote:So, not sure if it appeared in here yet or not, but I finally got around to reading Marry Me Misato. It's a bittersweet, charming little thing that's free and takes less than ten minutes to go through completely. I feel like it could have gone further and explored the consequences of the inevitable choice the narrator was going to have to make, but as it is, I liked it.

Although I must say, I'm not a whole lot closer to becoming fictional after reading it, which is a huge let-down. Like, how am I supposed to ask Emi out let alone propose to her if she can't even hear me? This was supposed to have ANSWERS, dammit!!
Haha, you weren't joking when you said it can be done in 10 minutes :o I agree it could have been longer, but then it could have become really quite dark the further on it went, so maybe it was better left where it was.
And I KNOW! At least we know what WON'T work...
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:So, not sure if it appeared in here yet or not, but I finally got around to reading Marry Me Misato. It's a bittersweet, charming little thing that's free and takes less than ten minutes to go through completely. I feel like it could have gone further and explored the consequences of the inevitable choice the narrator was going to have to make, but as it is, I liked it.

Haha, you weren't joking when you said it can be done in 10 minutes :o I agree it could have been longer, but then it could have become really quite dark the further on it went, so maybe it was better left where it was.
And I KNOW! At least we know what WON'T work...
True. But can we take over parliament, will that work? Who knows, now.

And I was actually hoping it would address that dark spot. I like it as it is because it's goofy, but all of that was going somewhere not so fun, and that's how it actually is with that sort of thing. As much as I was reading for fun, I was kind of seeking answers as well, and the novel doesn't seem to have them. Even the "never give up fighting for love" thing seemed odd at the end. Was that part of the parody? Was it serious, and if so, did it mean even in a literally impossible situation like the one the narrator was in? I can't tell.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

SpunkySix wrote:Was it serious, and if so, did it mean even in a literally impossible situation like the one the narrator was in? I can't tell.
I'm pretty sure it was meant to be mean-spirited and nothing more. That's why I didn't think it was cool that you were reminding me of that protagonist, because he is clearly (to me) intended to appear delusional, if not downright mentally unstable. Once you "owned it", I presumed that you were in on the "joke". My apologies if that wasn't the case. By the way, it's for this reason that I consider Marry Me, Misato to be the single worst VN I've ever read.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

dewelar wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:Was it serious, and if so, did it mean even in a literally impossible situation like the one the narrator was in? I can't tell.
I'm pretty sure it was meant to be mean-spirited and nothing more. That's why I didn't think it was cool that you were reminding me of that protagonist, because he is clearly (to me) intended to appear delusional, if not downright mentally unstable. Once you "owned it", I presumed that you were in on the "joke". My apologies if that wasn't the case. By the way, it's for this reason that I consider Marry Me, Misato to be the single worst VN I've ever read.
It's kinda disturbing really - like, we talk about waifus and that kinda thing, but the protagonist in the VN actually was looking for a way in? I can only presume it is parody, or something like that, else YIKES.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
dewelar wrote:
It's kinda disturbing really - like, we talk about waifus and that kinda thing, but the protagonist in the VN actually was looking for a way in? I can only presume it is parody, or something like that, else YIKES.
See, I'm not trying to get into Yamaku and I'm not delusional so don't take this the wrong way, but I can sympathize with the protagonist, even if the whole thing is a parody.

I really, really like Emi. As I've said, it's hard to let that whole reality thing define love. She has a defined personality and appearance, and physical existence is irrelevant to my feelings for those. I've never felt even close to as much for a real person romantically than I feel for this depiction of a person, this concept really, called "Emi", and I don't know if it's because I just haven't met the right people, or if I'm desperate to be loved, or if it's because something is horribly wrong with me that I don't understand or some combination of the three, but if I denied my feelings, then I'd be lying, and I can't help that. It's because of this that it hurts so damn much that she isn't real, and that I won't ever be meeting her. It feels cruel, really. I'm strong enough to accept that and come to terms with it, but that doesn't suddenly make it all better.

Which is why I wish that dark spot was explored. There was an inevitable decision that the novel leads towards but never gets to. The protagonist would be FORCED to make a choice at some point. He'd either have to live in this fantasy land of his and become a recluse, or he'd need to freaking buckle down and make the tough choice to face how shitty real life is in comparison to this ideal of his. The whole concept of this would be great material for some emotional stuff, but instead it's tossed aside for a throwaway "here we go again!" joke, and that annoys me.

In this light, if the "fight for who/what you love" line really was just mean-spirited, then... that really sucks. That's not funny mean, it's just mean. Really, really mean.

I still recommend the VN just because it's a quick, different experience no matter what, but I'm not sure how much I like it, in retrospect. And I hope this doesn't hurt your opinion of me, I really do get how screwed up the narrator of the VN was and I don't want to actually be anything like him. Just because I have some weird feelings doesn't mean I'm not self-aware enough about them to prevent them from making me crazy... like you said, when I "owned" it, I really did get how silly the whole situation was.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

SpunkySix wrote:In this light, if the "fight for who/what you love" line really was just mean-spirited, then... that really sucks. That's not funny mean, it's just mean. Really, really mean.
Yeah, I think it was, and you're right. That was the point I was trying to make in my post. Sadly, it's an attitude I see from time to time, which is one of the things that keeps VNs on the fringes of the gaming world.
I still recommend the VN just because it's a quick, different experience no matter what, but I'm not sure how much I like it, in retrospect. And I hope this doesn't hurt your opinion of me, I really do get how screwed up the narrator of the VN was and I don't want to actually be anything like him. Just because I have some weird feelings doesn't mean I'm not self-aware enough about them to prevent them from making me crazy... like you said, when I "owned" it, I really did get how silly the whole situation was.
Doesn't hurt my opinion of you at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. Thanks for posting this.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

There is absolutely no reason here to think any less of you, and I know that across the world, or maybe even this forum, that there are people in the same situation as you. We live in a world where people marry inanimate objects with no personality and absolutely no human-like appearance, so feeling something towards a character that you have built an emotional feeling toward should not be something for people to recoil from or judge. Accepting the situation you find yourself in is important, and you're right, it doesn't make it easier (in fact, the more I think about it, MMM seems to get more and more weirdly spiteful!), but absolutely DO NOT think there's anything wrong with you, or you're desperate, or anything like that.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Thanks, guys. I won't go any further with this since I think we've said what needs to be said and I don't want to veer off topic, but it's really cool of you to be understanding. Not a lot of people could be like that.

And you're welcome, Dewelar.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/529708

Air Pressure is a really short, but interesting take on a pre-existing relationship, that may or may not be a metaphor for drug addiction. Thank Someguy for reminding me of this one.
Blanc

Post by Blanc »

If I could recommend some,

True Remembrance - Nice novel about how one searches for answers to their questions. Maybe it has mediocre art and soundtrack, but it's one of the stories I really enjoyed and worth remembering.

Narcissu - I found its story simple yet the actual thought to be harsh but true. It's quite about powerlessness and despair.

Nine Hours, Nine Doors, Nine Persons - For me, this is one of the novels that expected the reader, the character, to be something. Haven't read the Infinity series yet, so maybe that would change after some time. Its sequel, Virtue's Last Reward, felt empty for me though, as if the characters doesn't have a soul in them, and much used for plot device.

Steins;Gate - Fun novel about aspects of time. The first part was quite technical, the middle one puts up some interesting representations for each of the characters involved. The final part felt mediocre, but would certainly please many though.

G-Senjou no Maou - Nice story, quite detective-y. Would certainly recommend the story, though it felt a bit bland for me. Maybe I read too much Ace Attorney/Layton stories lol.
Path:
Rin > Emi = Shizune/Misha = Lilly > Hanako