Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Erenussocrates

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Erenussocrates »

What can you say about Demonbane? Is it good? I guess that one doesn't have romance in it, does it?
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Erenussocrates wrote:What can you say about Demonbane? Is it good? I guess that one doesn't have romance in it, does it?
Can't say much about it since I haven't read it either, but it seems to be highly rated on VNDB and I'm guessing it does have romance, since it's 18+.

I seem to be spectacularly bad at Grisaia, I've only done Sachi's and Amane's routes so far, and both times I managed to get the bad ending on my first attempt. :lol:
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
Erenussocrates

Post by Erenussocrates »

I need your thoughts and feelings on Demonbane and Deardrops, guys. Please.

Edit: Also I need someone to convince me on getting My Little Sister Kana (or it was something like that)
And I need a Visual Novel with a drug addict as the main character.
I know my last two requests were plain weird, but I am serious.

Also what is scary about Saya no Uta? Is it called horror just because of the constant sights of Silent Hill-like backgrounds and stuff that we have to see? Or does it have jumpscares? (I cannot imagine jumpscare in a visual novel right now but most probably I am wrong) Or something else maybe?
Firewind

Post by Firewind »

Erenussocrates wrote: Also what is scary about Saya no Uta? Is it called horror just because of the constant sights of Silent Hill-like backgrounds and stuff that we have to see? Or does it have jumpscares? (I cannot imagine jumpscare in a visual novel right now but most probably I am wrong) Or something else maybe?
Jumpscares? Not really, but the dark atmosphere, backgrounds and some scenes are just...let's say repulsive, sickening for most people, I think.
Everyone hides who they are at least some of their time. Sometimes you bury that part of yourself so deeply that you have to be reminded it's there at all. And sometimes you just want to forget who you are all together.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Erenussocrates wrote:I need your thoughts and feelings on Demonbane and Deardrops, guys. Please.

Edit: Also I need someone to convince me on getting My Little Sister Kana (or it was something like that)
And I need a Visual Novel with a drug addict as the main character.
I know my last two requests were plain weird, but I am serious.

Also what is scary about Saya no Uta? Is it called horror just because of the constant sights of Silent Hill-like backgrounds and stuff that we have to see? Or does it have jumpscares? (I cannot imagine jumpscare in a visual novel right now but most probably I am wrong) Or something else maybe?
The best I can do about convincing you is to tell you that if you enjoy visual novels in general and see a visual novel that is highly rated but your first glance tells you that it is stupid(boring, cliche etc.), ignore your first glance and try it anyway. Chances are it's highly rated for a reason.

The closest thing to a drug addict protagonist I've read would have to be Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo, but he just basically smokes weed, and it doesn't come up too often.

Saya no Uta is horror in the exact same way a Lovecraft novel is horror, the story itself inspires dread, and the rather nasty visuals and amazingly disturbing soundtrack only help it in that regard.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

I've finished Grisaia no Kajitsu, and it was really good. Feels very much like an Akabei Soft2 work: the protagonist is pretty much Kenichi from Sharin no Kuni, the heroines, their problems and how the protag solves them are a lot like the those of both Sharin no Kuni and G-Senjou, and the way the routes are structured are pretty much the same - a few meaningless choices at the start, and then 1 "Pick her/don't pick her" choice per heroine, with one that you default to if you don't pick any of the others, although in this case it isn't the true route.
The humor was great, I haven't laughed so much from a VN for a while now - the things I've been reading lately were mostly either heavy stuff like Higurashi/Umineko/Air or things like Da Capo which aren't nearly as serious, but the humor mostly only succeeded in getting a chuckle out of me.
The routes are well-varied and well-rounded - none of them felt like they were much better or much worse than the others. I particularly liked Amane's route, mostly because I'm a fan of the kind of story that her flashback is (not going to say any more due to spoilers :P). My only complaint about the routes is the choices in some of them. Each route has a single choice near the end which decides whether you get the good end or the bad end, but for all of the routes except Sakaki's, I felt that picking the correct choice was a stab in the dark, and as a result I got the bad end first in Sachi's, Amane's, Makina's routes and got the good end first in Michiru's route thanks to sheer luck. But perhaps I'm just a bit dense, who knows. :lol:
Overall, a really good read, pretty long too, which is a plus in my book.

Probably going to read ef- a fairy tale of the two next, can't be assed to be limited to reading Kono Oozora on my desktop.
shockzzz

Post by shockzzz »

Flutterz wrote:I've finished Grisaia no Kajitsu ...
I've been waiting for someone else to completely finish it! I had completed it within a week or 2 of the English patch release. Powered through those routes. I haven't started any VN's since then because I haven't enjoyed most novel;s as much as I have Grisaia. Since the English patch for the sequel hasn't been started yet, it doesn't look like I'll be continuing that series anytime soon. Which of the novels you've gone through would you say was the MOST similar to Grisaia?
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

shockzzz wrote:I've been waiting for someone else to completely finish it! I had completed it within a week or 2 of the English patch release. Powered through those routes. I haven't started any VN's since then because I haven't enjoyed most novel;s as much as I have Grisaia. Since the English patch for the sequel hasn't been started yet, it doesn't look like I'll be continuing that series anytime soon. Which of the novels you've gone through would you say was the MOST similar to Grisaia?
Well as I've said, the closest thing would probably be Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo, and G-Senjou no Maou isn't that far off either, both have a badass protagonist pretending and trying to be "normal" and a cast of emotionally troubled heroines. Cross Channel is similar in that you're also in a school with just a handful of people, all of which have a few screws loose, although the circumstances there are a bit different.

By the way, am I the only who thinks that the "professor" person mentioned in Makina's route is a certain someone?
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Dysfunctional Systems is out on Steam for $5. I just might pick it up once I'm done with ef(not that I've even started yet :P).
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

I heard Higurashi will be released on Stream soon. :)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:I heard Higurashi will be released on Stream soon. :)
Eh, it's sort of doubtful. It's been on Greenlight for a while now without actually being released, and not only are people who are willing to just read a small portion of the people who use Steam, but a lot of them might be put off by the graphics. But who knows?
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Erenussocrates wrote:I need your thoughts and feelings on Demonbane and Deardrops, guys. Please.

Deardrops is alright, Kira✰Kira was better and is probably better to do beforehand.
Saya no Uta has no jumpscares and bases the horror all around atmosphere, a fantastic atmosphere thanks to the BGM. Highly recommend it.
Flutterz wrote: Eh, it's sort of doubtful. It's been on Greenlight for a while now without actually being released, and not only are people who are willing to just read a small portion of the people who use Steam, but a lot of them might be put off by the graphics. But who knows?
Yes, but it got Greenlit just last week so it looks like something will come from it.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Nobody in Particular wrote:
Flutterz wrote: Eh, it's sort of doubtful. It's been on Greenlight for a while now without actually being released, and not only are people who are willing to just read a small portion of the people who use Steam, but a lot of them might be put off by the graphics. But who knows?
Yes, but it got Greenlit just last week so it looks like something will come from it.
Huh, looks like it did. I just assumed that wasn't going anywhere. Still, I'm not sure how successful it'll be if it does come out on Steam, but I guess we can just wait and see.

Speaking of releasing VNs, it's finally been confirmed that there will be an Angel Beats VN in 2014. :D
http://visualnovelaer.fuwanovel.org/201 ... ual-novel/
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Katahane wasn't worth the download. :|
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:Katahane wasn't worth the download. :|
That's harsh :lol:
Downloads are pretty much worthless, so not being worth that...