Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Nobody in Particular

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Nobody in Particular »

TheSongofRaven wrote: I Finishing Fate Stay Night on 40 hours anyway. But still, Hoshizora no Memoria taking more longer (now do chinami route :3), it take me about 50 hour to comple 4 girls so far.
Hoshizora no Memoria is hardly 50 hours long. The common route was really time consuming, but each individual route couldn't have took any longer than about 5 hours. I haven't played F/SN yet so I can't compare, but I'd say Muv-Luv Alternative was much longer than it which is a >50 hours VN.
BobBobberson wrote: Wut's that about? Is it good? Is there some supernatural BS at work?
Hoshizora no Memoria is a slice of life comedy. Personally I thought it was really good, it's an incredibly light hearted romance/comedy "moege" which has some fantasy elements and has a great set of characters. The drama in the routes was kinda stupid at times, but the common route was great.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

acewing905 wrote:
stanman237 wrote:

Little Busters Anime is coming out in October which is great news.http://litbus-anime.com/
Not so sure whether it's going to be good news. It's not KyoAni like the previous Key anime, but JC Staff, and their work isn't very well received usually.
And I'm not so sure whether I like the new character designs either, but that is just personal opinion.
I haven't read the VN yet, but I think the characters looks great. :)

Notable good animes made by J.C Staff:
• Shakugan no Shana
• Zero no Tsukaima
• Hidan no Aria
• Kaicho wa Maid-sama
• Hayate no Gotoku
• Toradora
• Toaru Majutsu no Index
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

OtakuNinja wrote: I haven't read the VN yet, but I think the characters looks great. :)
The sprites in the VN are way different to and better than the character designs in the anime. Opposite of what happened with Clannad. KyoAni actually based the character designs on Hinoue's sprites for the VN and actually improved on them, resulting in characters that were easily recognizable and overall better looking than the VN sprites. Here, most characters don't resemble their VN selves, which is something I consider to be terrible.
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

BobBobberson wrote:
TheSongofRaven wrote:
BobBobberson wrote:Fate/Stay Night's on my recommended list now, if you can handle 50+ hours.
I Finishing Fate Stay Night on 40 hours anyway. But still, Hoshizora no Memoria taking more longer (now do chinami route :3), it take me about 50 hour to comple 4 girls so far.
Wut's that about? Is it good? Is there some supernatural BS at work?

Fate Stay Night????? Plenty of Supernatural fantasy, its about fighting in the Holy Grail War where 7 Magis summon servents.

If its Hoshizora no Memoria I have no idea
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

stanman237 wrote:

Fate Stay Night????? Plenty of Supernatural fantasy, its about fighting in the Holy Grail War where 7 Magis summon servents.

He's referring to Hoshizora no Memoria. And yes, it has lots of supernatural stuff. But the plot is not the main highlight of the game. It's a happy game with no bad endings, played pretty much for the cute characters. Overall, really fun.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

OtakuNinja wrote:
• Shakugan no Shana
• Zero no Tsukaima
• Hidan no Aria
• Kaicho wa Maid-sama
• Hayate no Gotoku
• Toradora
• To aru Majutsu no Index
JC Staff is kind of hit or miss, and even if they do hit, they still rush the adaptation and skip details. Granted, that's necessary for most adaptations, but JC staff goes overboard IMO. That said, even though the last season of ZnT was going at a rate of one or two episodes per volume, it was still good. Mostly because of the involvement of the author,

Last time they adapted a VN, the resulting anime was declared non-existent. It's a completely different staff, and KEY is helping out though, so I doubt they'll make an anime as bad as that non-existent anime, so we shouldn't worry that much.
BobBobberson

Post by BobBobberson »

acewing905 wrote:He's referring to Hoshizora no Memoria. And yes, it has lots of supernatural stuff. But the plot is not the main highlight of the game. It's a happy game with no bad endings, played pretty much for the cute characters. Overall, really fun.
No bad endings? Wut?! But I like seeing the protagonist meet their doom in horrific ways! But srsly it sounds like something to check out. F/SN and Chaos;Head has left me slightly depressed for some reason. Not that they were bad, hell those two VNs were pretty good, but they made me sad in I dunno why.

I wish Rance Quest would get translated faster though D: or Fate/Hollow Ataraxia
Last edited by BobBobberson on Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

encrypted12345 wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:
• Shakugan no Shana
• Zero no Tsukaima
• Hidan no Aria
• Kaicho wa Maid-sama
• Hayate no Gotoku
• Toradora
• To aru Majutsu no Index
JC Staff is kind of hit or miss, and even if they do hit, they still rush the adaptation and skip details. Granted, that's necessary for most adaptations, but JC staff goes overboard IMO. That said, even though the last season of ZnT was going at a rate of one or two episodes per volume, it was still good. Mostly because of the involvement of the author,

Last time they adapted a VN, the resulting anime was declared non-existent. It's a completely different staff, and KEY is helping out though, so I doubt they'll make an anime as bad as that non-existent anime, so we shouldn't worry that much.

And what VN might that be? :) VNs are hard to make good animes of, since there are many plots. ;)
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

OtakuNinja wrote:And what VN might that be? :) VNs are hard to make good animes of, since there are many plots. ;)
Tsukihime. Anime adaptation doesn't exist.

And that the many plots thing is actually one reason why LB! anime has a chance to fail. (Spoilers for LB! here) Until someone gets to Refrain, other than the upgraded stats of Riki and Rin, and Rin's social behaviour improving, there isn't much reason to believe that there is a timeloop going on and that the routes are connected. But in the case of an anime, this will be obvious from the first time it happens. If they go the Clannad way (including all other heroine routes as subplots with Rin as main heroine, just like they did with Nagisa in Clannad), then the whole timeloop factor will have to be discarded, as there will be no separate routes. (Even Clannad threw the "collecting lights" part halfway down the crapper because of this reason.) And that will actually alter the story quite a bit. Even if they go for separate routes, the subtle differences in the common route in Rin's behaviour will totally be lost because they won't be able to repeat the common route's part of the story like the VN does.

All in all, not really looking forward to it. Especially with the characters looking nothing like they did in the VN. Kinniku-less Masato? Do not want!
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

acewing905 wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:And what VN might that be? :) VNs are hard to make good animes of, since there are many plots. ;)
Tsukihime. Anime adaptation doesn't exist.

And that the many plots thing is actually one reason why LB! anime has a chance to fail. (Spoilers for LB! here) Until someone gets to Refrain, other than the upgraded stats of Riki and Rin, and Rin's social behaviour improving, there isn't much reason to believe that there is a timeloop going on and that the routes are connected. But in the case of an anime, this will be obvious from the first time it happens. If they go the Clannad way (including all other heroine routes as subplots with Rin as main heroine, just like they did with Nagisa in Clannad), then the whole timeloop factor will have to be discarded, as there will be no separate routes. (Even Clannad threw the "collecting lights" part halfway down the crapper because of this reason.) And that will actually alter the story quite a bit. Even if they go for separate routes, the subtle differences in the common route in Rin's behaviour will totally be lost because they won't be able to repeat the common route's part of the story like the VN does.

All in all, not really looking forward to it. Especially with the characters looking nothing like they did in the VN. Kinniku-less Masato? Do not want!
You don't have to watch it. ;)
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

OtakuNinja wrote: You don't have to watch it. ;)
Actually, I probably would, just to see how they handle the deal with the timeloop and Refrain.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

acewing905 wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote: You don't have to watch it. ;)
Actually, I probably would, just to see how they handle the deal with the timeloop and Refrain.
I have no idea what you're talking about, but I guess it'll be something like in Air. :)
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

acewing905 wrote:
stanman237 wrote:Fate Stay Night????? Plenty of Supernatural fantasy, its about fighting in the Holy Grail War where 7 Magis summon servents.

He's referring to Hoshizora no Memoria. And yes, it has lots of supernatural stuff. But the plot is not the main highlight of the game. It's a happy game with no bad endings, played pretty much for the cute characters. Overall, really fun.
It's kind of worth mentioning that Hoshizora no Memoria has a very heavy emphasis on astronomy, specifically the stars - in fact the entire plot seems to be revolving around them (no pun intended). So if you're something of an astronomy fan, like myself, you will love Hoshimemo exponentially more than you would otherwise. I'm right in the middle of it now, actually, and it's quite excellent, if overly happy tone-wise.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Mysterious Stranger wrote: It's kind of worth mentioning that Hoshizora no Memoria has a very heavy emphasis on astronomy, specifically the stars - in fact the entire plot seems to be revolving around them (no pun intended). So if you're something of an astronomy fan, like myself, you will love Hoshimemo exponentially more than you would otherwise. I'm right in the middle of it now, actually, and it's quite excellent, if overly happy tone-wise.
You don't have to be an astronomy fan at all to enjoy it, though. I'm not much of an astronomy fan, but I enjoyed Hoshimemo immensely. So much that I painfully slogged through the fandisk in moonrunes as well. Totally worth it.
TheSongofRaven

Post by TheSongofRaven »

acewing905 wrote:
stanman237 wrote:

Nuff said, my friend :D anyway, have anyone try kara no shoujo ? it take some time (but not really long) and have intense story and conflict.
"I believe everything like horse race. When you are lose, simply ride the horse again and face any challange"
Twitter : @GrimPointman, Skype : steven.yehezkiel6791