Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Megumeru
Posts: 1260
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 am
Location: Land of the Rising Sun

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Megumeru » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:12 pm

Koi wrote:Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever ran into a VN with traps?
Visit Akiba when you have the chance.

Then visit any store that sells PC-game and you'll get plenty. The reason why PC game is still pretty young in bere is because most game developers doesn't want to associate with the market (which was dominated by mostly adult VNs and eroge).


That, and it's cheaper to produce in handheld.
Image
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story

User avatar
Steinherz
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:06 am
Location: New England

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Steinherz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:35 pm

Koi wrote:Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever ran into a VN with traps?
I know a few people making VNs with traps (myself included), but they're in the super early pre-drafts.

Otherwise, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Summer Days (or one of that series)
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.

User avatar
Megumeru
Posts: 1260
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 am
Location: Land of the Rising Sun

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Megumeru » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:41 pm

Steinherz wrote:
Koi wrote:Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever ran into a VN with traps?
I know a few people making VNs with traps (myself included), but they're in the super early pre-drafts.

Otherwise, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Summer Days (or one of that series)
You mean Cross Days. Proof that Makoto doesn't care what hole he plunge as long as it is 'a hole'
Image
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story

User avatar
Steinherz
Posts: 2095
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:06 am
Location: New England

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Steinherz » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:19 am

Megumeru wrote:
Steinherz wrote:
Koi wrote:Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever ran into a VN with traps?
I know a few people making VNs with traps (myself included), but they're in the super early pre-drafts.

Otherwise, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Summer Days (or one of that series)
You mean Cross Days. Proof that Makoto doesn't care what hole he plunge as long as it is 'a hole'
Yeah, that one.
And to quote one of my friends: "If it's cute, fuck it. There is no gay"
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.

User avatar
Koi
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Behind you.

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Koi » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:40 am

Steinherz wrote:
Koi wrote:Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever ran into a VN with traps?
I know a few people making VNs with traps (myself included), but they're in the super early pre-drafts.

Otherwise, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Summer Days (or one of that series)
I'll be waiting :D
Image
Image

User avatar
CloudGrain
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by CloudGrain » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:21 pm

Just played through my second ever VN, Everlasting Summer, which is actually out free via Steam.

It's good.

A bit short in most aspects, (each 'route' took me around 2-3 hours), somewhat convoluted in places, and somewhat amusingly bad 'Runglish' for the Russian to English translation at many points. It's certainly not perfect, with quite a bit of the artwork and character sprites seeming to be somewhat lacking in aspects. (The backgrounds were, for the most part all VERY good, whereas the sprites and CG scenes were... not quite so much) All that being said... there's a reason that quite a few of the top comments are comparing it to a 'Russian Katawa Shoujo', not for the material itself which is vastly different, but for the quality of the story itself.

Four main 'romantic' routes (each of which with multiple potential endings), one 'failure' route that ends exceptionally strangely however you cut it (two endings), a hidden route that's none-too-good to play at night with the lights out if you're a wuss like me, and two potential 'true' final endings after all of that. Completed everything within twelve or so hours, likely going to find myself going back to it at least once more, especially if/when a more... proper English translation might be in place.

Would definitely encourage anyone mildly interested to give it a go, it's free. It's certainly not bad.
The mind is a terrible thing to waste, but a beautiful thing to lose.

User avatar
CoffeeDrive
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by CoffeeDrive » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:17 am

For those interested, the Fate/ Hollow ataraxia (fate stay night sequel) translation has recently (21st November) been completely finished.
http://tlwiki.org/?title=Fate/Hollow_Ataraxia
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl

User avatar
Yellow 13
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:03 am
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Yellow 13 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:18 am

CloudGrain wrote:Just played through my second ever VN, Everlasting Summer, which is actually out free via Steam.

It's good.

A bit short in most aspects, (each 'route' took me around 2-3 hours), somewhat convoluted in places, and somewhat amusingly bad 'Runglish' for the Russian to English translation at many points. It's certainly not perfect, with quite a bit of the artwork and character sprites seeming to be somewhat lacking in aspects. (The backgrounds were, for the most part all VERY good, whereas the sprites and CG scenes were... not quite so much) All that being said... there's a reason that quite a few of the top comments are comparing it to a 'Russian Katawa Shoujo', not for the material itself which is vastly different, but for the quality of the story itself.

Four main 'romantic' routes (each of which with multiple potential endings), one 'failure' route that ends exceptionally strangely however you cut it (two endings), a hidden route that's none-too-good to play at night with the lights out if you're a wuss like me, and two potential 'true' final endings after all of that. Completed everything within twelve or so hours, likely going to find myself going back to it at least once more, especially if/when a more... proper English translation might be in place.

Would definitely encourage anyone mildly interested to give it a go, it's free. It's certainly not bad.


Pioneer Simulator 2014
0/10 for not having Elektronik's route
When the war, has been won
And our march home begins
What awaits has not yet been revealed
What was won? what was lost?
Will our deeds be remembered?
Are they written on stone or in sand?

Image

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You
Posts: 2523
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Imola, Italy

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Silentcook » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:19 am

CloudGrain wrote:Just played through my second ever VN, Everlasting Summer, which is actually out free via Steam.

It's good.
Something which might or might not affect your judgment: the four heroines featured in the promo video are patterned after Russian imageboard mascots (and the fifth is a Miku clone, but I figure you noticed THAT).

Further investigation and decisions left as an exercise to the reader.
Shattering your dreams since '94.

Image

User avatar
CloudGrain
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by CloudGrain » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:33 am

Silentcook wrote: Something which might or might not affect your judgment: the four heroines featured in the promo video are patterned after Russian imageboard mascots (and the fifth is a Miku clone, but I figure you noticed THAT).

Further investigation and decisions left as an exercise to the reader.
I did come to realize with relatively little effort that the majority of the main female characters were patterned after a few of the imageboard mascots simply thanks to quite a few people saying exactly that. In fact, some of the 'late-game' characters appeared to come directly from the creator's 'home' imageboard even more directly than the characters who merely drew semblance from other imageboards. As to the whole 'Miku-clone', I'm actually fairly far removed from much of the anime stuff that most VN players seem to know right off the top of their heads. Katawa Shoujo and Everlasting Summer are the only two VN's I've played (thus far) and I'm not exactly all that keen on most of the anime stuff, so I'll admit to being pretty far from knowledgeable about that.

But hey, wouldn't be terribly surprised if I were to hear that the studio drew inspiration from a fairly popular character. Seems like an easy way to pander to the general audience while going over the heads of the uninformed (like me) people without impacting things too much.
The mind is a terrible thing to waste, but a beautiful thing to lose.

Bruxae
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:26 pm

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Bruxae » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:49 pm

I'd definetly recommend Grisaia no Kajitsu.

Beware it has terrible sex scenes compared to that of Katawa Shoujo so I ended up spamming my space button to get past them, and the main character is sometimes a real ass, that said.. I haven't laughed and cried so hard since I played Katawa Shoujo. The game is very similar, you go to a school for kids with "special" circumstances, only in this case they are entirely mental rather then physical disabilities.

User avatar
dewelar
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:09 pm
Location: The Fifth Thing

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by dewelar » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:33 pm

Bruxae wrote:I'd definetly recommend Grisaia no Kajitsu.
I just read this myself a few weeks ago, and I thought it was good but not great (I rated it a 6.5 over on VNDB). The common route was excellent with lots of great humor, and I really enjoyed Sachi's route. The other four routes were hit or miss for me. However, the one thing people need to be warned about besides how dark Amane's route gets is how long this game is. It took me longer to get through this than it took to finish Hoshizora no Memoria, and that's saying something. Even if you're a fast reader, be prepared to spend a solid week on this. On balance, I'd still say it's worth reading, though.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!

User avatar
AaronIsCrunchy
Posts: 1083
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:28 pm
Location: Portsmouth, floating.

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by AaronIsCrunchy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:30 am

dewelar wrote:
Bruxae wrote:I'd definetly recommend Grisaia no Kajitsu.
I just read this myself a few weeks ago, and I thought it was good but not great (I rated it a 6.5 over on VNDB). The common route was excellent with lots of great humor, and I really enjoyed Sachi's route. The other four routes were hit or miss for me. However, the one thing people need to be warned about besides how dark Amane's route gets is how long this game is. It took me longer to get through this than it took to finish Hoshizora no Memoria, and that's saying something. Even if you're a fast reader, be prepared to spend a solid week on this. On balance, I'd still say it's worth reading, though.
Only just finished Fate Stay/Night, and that took me about 3 months (although I'll admit about 2 months of that I didn't play it at all). Is this longer than that? Not that I'll be able to afford in anyway, but whatevs.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.


User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by SpunkySix » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:26 pm

Somebody recommended Fate/Stay a while back, and now I have the means to play/read it. Is it long enough where I should finish KS first, or could I zip through it and then get back to Shizune?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
dewelar
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:09 pm
Location: The Fifth Thing

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by dewelar » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:38 pm

I haven't gotten around to reading F/SN myself yet, but both it and Grisaia no Kajitsu are listed on VNDB as being >50 hours in length. KS is listed two categories down (10-30 hours).
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!

Post Reply