Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

AaronIsCrunchy

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Potato wrote:Avoiding demos is among the most nonsensical practices possible. :P

Anyway...I'm gonna leave this here...And you can decide if it's worth playing on your own. :lol:
Sure, it defeats the point of the demo, but nonsensical? Gonna have to disagree with you there Potato, only time I play a demo is when the full thing is finished and I'm deciding if it's worth incapacitating my internet for 6 hours for :lol:

And looks interesting. Gonna keep tabs on that I think.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Velitation wrote:Never thought I would see the day: Hatoful Boyfriend remake localized in English.

Well, shit.
...waitaminnit, it's NOT April 1st.

Well, shit. :shock:
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

forgetmenot

Post by forgetmenot »

Silentcook wrote:
Velitation wrote:Never thought I would see the day: Hatoful Boyfriend remake localized in English.

Well, shit.
...waitaminnit, it's NOT April 1st.

Well, shit. :shock:
I am equally shocked. Although I can't say I'm surprised. This is the Internet, after all.
gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

CoffeeDrive wrote: Anyone know of any good Dating/life like (Kinda like KS) VNs? Ive seen a couple that look interesting but forking out $80 is a bummer...
Romance visual novels are quite common. Think about what you specifically want, and there's a good chance it exists. *If* there is an official English translation that's still in print, it will cost $50 or less.*If* it was written in English, it's either going to be inexpensive (less than $25 per indie game) or free.

Back around 2009-2010, I really enjoyed two freeware VNs with romance and simulation gameplay: RE: Alistair and Heartache 101. They don't put much emphasis on characterization, and neither one has much plot. For me, both were light entertainment -- amusing, not weighed down by drama, and the gameplay wasn't all that tough.

Looking at the August 2013 recommendation chart, I see quite a few that are frequently discussed on r/visualnovels, and which have probably been mentioned in this thread at least once. The thing is, I'm more familiar with Lemma Soft stories made in the 2000s, and professional translations from the same time period... I have a worksafe version of Kira Kira in my iTunes library, and copies of both Yumina the Ethereal and Quartett on my shelves, but I've barely used them...

If you have questions about a specific romance game / story, be sure to search the web for it. Ask if you can't find useful information.
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

gekiganwing wrote:
CoffeeDrive wrote: Anyone know of any good Dating/life like (Kinda like KS) VNs? Ive seen a couple that look interesting but forking out $80 is a bummer...
Words
Thanks man, Ill take a look.

On a side, Im reading Fate/Stay Night at the moment, and I must say im really enjoying it so far, Ive only really completed the prologue and up to the point in "Fate" where Emiya summons Saber but damn its good, i really enjoy they way they created the Heroic Spirits and class based servant system.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

CoffeeDrive wrote:On a side, Im reading Fate/Stay Night at the moment, and I must say im really enjoying it so far, Ive only really completed the prologue and up to the point in "Fate" where Emiya summons Saber but damn its good, i really enjoy they way they created the Heroic Spirits and class based servant system.
There's a difference between spoilers, and common knowledge.
A Fate Spoiler is Rin's Archer's true identity. Shirou summoning King Arturia (yes, you read that right) isn't.
Then again, Fate/stay night spoilers is kind of like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann spoilers.
IE: It's a very popular series, and you shouldn't care about spoilers because you'll be spoiled looking any information on it up.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Steinherz wrote:
CoffeeDrive wrote:On a side, Im reading Fate/Stay Night at the moment, and I must say im really enjoying it so far, Ive only really completed the prologue and up to the point in "Fate" where Emiya summons Saber but damn its good, i really enjoy they way they created the Heroic Spirits and class based servant system.
A Fate Spoiler is Rin's Archer's true identity. Shirou summoning King Arturia (yes, you read that right) isn't.
Then again, Fate/stay night spoilers is kind of like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann spoilers.
IE: It's a very popular series, and you shouldn't care about spoilers because you'll be spoiled looking any information on it up.
I was just being cautious, especially in a place called "Recommend a VN" where im guessing a numerous amount of people may not have played the novel, and may not even want something so trivial spoiled.
Last edited by CoffeeDrive on Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

CoffeeDrive wrote:
Steinherz wrote:
I was just being cautious, especially in a place called "Recommend a VN" where im guessing people who a numerous amount of people may not have played the novel, and may not even want something so trivial spoiled.
No, no. Shirou summoning Saber is massive spoilers.
I mean she's on the cover!
Only the females with routes are on the cover! :lol:
I also draw, kind of.
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Whoa whoa WHOA, who is that blackhair redshirt on the cover? Looks spicy and saucy, like a really good meatball. I liek.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

SpunkySix wrote:Whoa whoa WHOA, who is that blackhair redshirt on the cover? Looks spicy and saucy, like a really good meatball. I liek.

Rin Tohsaka, 110% Tsundere.
Last edited by CoffeeDrive on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

CoffeeDrive wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:Whoa whoa WHOA, who is that blackhair redshirt on the cover? Looks spicy and saucy, like a really good meatball. I liek.
Rin Toshaka, 110% Tsundere.
You know how many Tsunderes have twintails and thigh-highs/Zettai Ryouiki?
You can thank Rin for that.
I also draw, kind of.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Steinherz wrote:
CoffeeDrive wrote:
Rin Toshaka, 110% Tsundere. :D
You know how many Tsunderes have twintails and thigh-highs/Zettai Ryouiki?
You can thank Rin for that.
I will. Up and down.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

What's the best way for a westerner to be able to get hold of VN's? It seems that, the Fate series aside, most are really tricky to get hold of. (And no, moving to Japan is not an option :lol:)
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Vempele

Post by Vempele »

What's the best way for a westerner to be able to get hold of VN's? It seems that, the Fate series aside, most are really tricky to get hold of. (And no, moving to Japan is not an option )
1. Some VNs, like True Remembrance, are free.
2. Some VNs have official localizations that you can buy. JAST USA and MangaGamer are the big shops.
3. Some Japanese shops sell to foreigners as well. Here's a guide to using one such shop.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Vempele wrote:
What's the best way for a westerner to be able to get hold of VN's? It seems that, the Fate series aside, most are really tricky to get hold of. (And no, moving to Japan is not an option )
1. Some VNs, like True Remembrance, are free.
2. Some VNs have official localizations that you can buy. JAST USA and MangaGamer are the big shops.
3. Some Japanese shops sell to foreigners as well. Here's a guide to using one such shop.
I've played True Remembrance (and I must say it was very good), but the links here are very helpful (particularly that last one). Thanks very much :)