Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

swerty101

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by swerty101 »

If KS is your first VN then your probably not going to find anything you like,just face the facts that there will never be a VN like KS again and probably will never be one as good as KS again.
Kidnapping? I prefer the term "Surprise Adoption" (Insert Rape Face Here)
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

swerty101 wrote:If KS is your first VN then your probably not going to find anything you like,just face the facts that there will never be a VN like KS again and probably will never be one as good as KS again.
I dunno about that, KS was my first and I really enjoyed True Remembrance afterwards. If they weren't so expensive I would definitely play more :D
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
swerty101 wrote:If KS is your first VN then your probably not going to find anything you like,just face the facts that there will never be a VN like KS again and probably will never be one as good as KS again.
I dunno about that, KS was my first and I really enjoyed True Remembrance afterwards. If they weren't so expensive I would definitely play more :D
Also, way too many are exclusive to Japan and relying on Internet translations can be hit-or-miss.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Yandere-Chan is an incredibly bittersweet VN that ends up being a good mix between terrifying and adorable, with a big range in between. It's about meeting a girl, and finding out she likes you. Maybe a little too much. There's some intense sequences in there, so the feint of heart may want to keep away. The turn the story takes later on might not sit well with some people, but I thought it was really nice, if a bit... okay, very unrealistic. The whole thing is about an hour, and based on the fact that I got the happy ending, I'd have to assume there's multiple endings to get for completionists.

Oh, and for added creepy, stick your own name in there when the teacher asks what you to introduce yourself.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Juniper's Knot is a good short VN to play if you have about an hour spare - the music's good, the artwork is great and the ending left me all fuzzy... but kinda frustrated. Where in KS there is some kind of closure on all the routes, this did end a bit too soon for my liking. Was nice though, and kinda made me wanna hug a corset-wearing fiend. But I digress.

Oh, and Yandere-Chan was terrifying. Good, but yikes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:Juniper's Knot is a good short VN to play if you have about an hour spare - the music's good, the artwork is great and the ending left me all fuzzy... but kinda frustrated. Where in KS there is some kind of closure on all the routes, this did end a bit too soon for my liking. Was nice though, and kinda made me wanna hug a corset-wearing fiend. But I digress.

Y'know, they made a mobile port for Juniper's Knot, but my iPod is too old to download it. Is there a mac version? I'd like to play it.

I agree with Yandere-Chan. Which ending did you get?

I got the only happy one, and it made me feel really nice. People with mental issues need love too.
gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

Since SpunkySix asked, Juniper's Knot is available for OS X. It was created with Ren'py, so it's reasonably compatible with all recent computers.
SpunkySix wrote: Also, way too many are exclusive to Japan and relying on Internet translations can be hit-or-miss.
If you gave me a few minutes, I could probably name a dozen untranslated romance games that I would like to read or play in English. I'm quite aware that it's rare for a fan translation to be completed, and that licensing can still be described as "you're lucky if you get one memorable product per year." So yeah, the visual novels that impacted me as a fan are a mix of professional and fan translations, freeware, indie games, and console/iOS exclusives.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

SpunkySix wrote:
AaronIsCrunchy wrote:Juniper's Knot is a good short VN to play if you have about an hour spare - the music's good, the artwork is great and the ending left me all fuzzy... but kinda frustrated. Where in KS there is some kind of closure on all the routes, this did end a bit too soon for my liking. Was nice though, and kinda made me wanna hug a corset-wearing fiend. But I digress.

Y'know, they made a mobile port for Juniper's Knot, but my iPod is too old to download it. Is there a mac version? I'd like to play it.

I agree with Yandere-Chan. Which ending did you get?

I got the only happy one, and it made me feel really nice. People with mental issues need love too.
Yeah, there's a Mac version. It's definitely worth a play :)
I got stabbed with a pair of scissors -_-

EDIT: Got the happy ending :) N'awwwwwwww ^_^

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Cool, I definitely will play it then.

And yeah, there's only one good ending, but it's so worth getting. Mia is really cute, and despite some horrible mental illness, she does have only the best intentions and wants you to be happy. The fact that the protagonists centers large aspects of his life around continuing to visit her even though she'll likely never leave and even though he'll likely never have sex with her or do most of the things with her that are considered important just because he cares about her so much is really nice too. I mean, that's what love is, right there.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

SpunkySix wrote:Cool, I definitely will play it then.

And yeah, there's only one good ending, but it's so worth getting. Mia is really cute, and despite some horrible mental illness, she does have only the best intentions and wants you to be happy. The fact that the protagonists centers large aspects of his life around continuing to visit her even though she'll likely never leave and even though he'll likely never have sex with her or do most of the things with her that are considered important just because he cares about her so much is really nice too. I mean, that's what love is, right there.
What's particularly nice is how he cares about her despite the fact she was going to kill him - of course, she didn't know that, in fact she thought she was going to do quite the opposite. The fact that he sees that, and he looks forward to the visits like they're the most important thing is the world is lovely :) And yes, Mia is cute as, even as yandere :P

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:

What's particularly nice is how he cares about her despite the fact she was going to kill him - of course, she didn't know that, in fact she thought she was going to do quite the opposite. The fact that he sees that, and he looks forward to the visits like they're the most important thing is the world is lovely :) And yes, Mia is cute as, even as yandere :P
Definitely. Reminds me of what I wish would happen to Harley Quinn. That poor girl is trapped in like, the exact polar opposite situation. Joker doesn't give a rat's ass about her, and she's trapped with him.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

SpunkySix wrote:People with mental issues need love too.
Guessing you're gonna play Missing Stars when it comes out?
AaronIsCrunchy wrote:

What's with all the spoiler tags? :lol:
You're not really spoiling much, the VN is called Yandere-Chan for a reason :lol:

Also, there's an actual diagnosis for Yandere characters. It's called Borderline personality disorder, and in reality, it's a really, really fucked up mental disorder.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Phahaha, yeah, it did start to look pre...tty ridiculous :L
And yikes, that'd be horrible to have to live with :/ Think my sympathy for (albeit fictional) yandere just went through the roof - imagine dealing with that :(

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Yeah, that's rough all around. I wonder if these people in real life are bothered by the glorification of anime yanderes.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

SpunkySix wrote:Yeah, that's rough all around. I wonder if these people in real life are bothered by the glorification of anime yanderes.
It's difficult to say. I'm occasionally bothered by the glorification of hikikomori, even though my Asperger's is pretty mild, so I'd imagine it's certainly possible :/