Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Walshy12238

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Walshy12238 »

Flutterz wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:Well that's acceptable then, I can handle 35% :P

But I seriously should read these VNs and then come back and read the 35% that I can't now
Well the only VN we've been spoiling is Clannad, so come back when you've finished that. :D
Sure thing, see you in 100+ hours

Speaking of which, I looked it up on VNDB and it said that it was 50+... Is that just a really general classification or are you guys slow? :P
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Walshy12238 wrote:Sure thing, see you in 100+ hours

Speaking of which, I looked it up on VNDB and it said that it was 50+... Is that just a really general classification or are you guys slow? :P
VNDB breaks them down into "<2", "2-10", "10-30", "30-50" and ">50" hours.

As for how fast I am, I only know that Clannad took me 18 days. :P To be fair though, I didn't 100% it, there are a few optional routes that I didn't do.
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

Flutterz wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:Sure thing, see you in 100+ hours

VNDB breaks them down into "<2", "2-10", "10-30", "30-50" and ">50" hours.

As for how fast I am, I only know that Clannad took me 18 days. :P To be fair though, I didn't 100% it, there are a few optional routes that I didn't do.
Ah, that's fair enough :P Do you know of any more that are longer than Clannad? Or is that as big as it gets?
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Walshy12238 wrote:Ah, that's fair enough :P Do you know of any more that are longer than Clannad? Or is that as big as it gets?
As far as I remember Rewrite and Little Busters are about the same length, the Muv-Luv series(even though it's 2 VNs they're pretty much inseparable), and if we're using VNs that are inseparable then the 2 Higurashi no Naku Koro ni VNs at least come close, and the 2 Umineko no Naku Koro ni VNs are probably longer than Clannad. Also according to TLWiki there's something called Himawari no Chapel de Kimi to which supposedly has 2.5x the lines that Clannad has, but VNDB reports it as 30-50, so idk.
But yeah, Clannad is definitely one of the longest, and quite possibly the longest of the popular VNs.
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

Flutterz wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:Ah, that's fair enough :P Do you know of any more that are longer than Clannad? Or is that as big as it gets?
As far as I remember Rewrite and Little Busters are about the same length, the Muv-Luv series(even though it's 2 VNs they're pretty much inseparable), and if we're using VNs that are inseparable then the 2 Higurashi no Naku Koro ni VNs at least come close, and the 2 Umineko no Naku Koro ni VNs are probably longer than Clannad. Also according to TLWiki there's something called Himawari no Chapel de Kimi to which supposedly has 2.5x the lines that Clannad has, but VNDB reports it as 30-50, so idk.
But yeah, Clannad is definitely one of the longest, and quite possibly the longest of the popular VNs.
That is an unbelievably excessive amount of reading :P although I guess it isn't any different from reading a regular book, really
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Walshy12238 wrote:Speaking of which, I looked it up on VNDB and it said that it was 50+... Is that just a really general classification or are you guys slow? :P
Well, 100 hours is 50+... :lol:
Walshy12238 wrote:Do you know of any more that are longer than Clannad? Or is that as big as it gets?
Little Busters Ecstasy, I think. At least it's long enough to get more anime episodes than Clannad. ;)
Walshy12238 wrote:That is an unbelievably excessive amount of reading :P although I guess it isn't any different from reading a regular book, really
But you can't bring a VN with you, and you don't want to read it with people around. :lol:
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:But you can't bring a VN with you, and you don't want to read it with people around. :lol:
Wrong on both counts. :P Not only do I have a ton of VNs on my laptop, I also read them in public. :lol:
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Flutterz wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:But you can't bring a VN with you, and you don't want to read it with people around. :lol:
Wrong on both counts. :P Not only do I have a ton of VNs on my laptop, I also read them in public. :lol:
Laptops doesn't count. :P And reading VNs in public... Maybe if it isn't an eroge and if you turn off the voices. :?
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

OtakuNinja wrote:
Flutterz wrote:
Laptops doesn't count. :P And reading VNs in public... Maybe if it isn't an eroge and if you turn off the voices. :?
That's what headphones are for :lol: . But yeah, if it's a non-eroge playing it in public wouldn't be too hard.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Steinherz wrote:But yeah, if it's a non-eroge playing it in public wouldn't be too hard.
Unfortunately I only own one of those. :lol:
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:Laptops doesn't count. :P And reading VNs in public... Maybe if it isn't an eroge and if you turn off the voices. :?
Well then books that aren't on their shelves don't count either :3

As for the second part:
Steinherz wrote:That's what headphones are for :lol: . But yeah, if it's a non-eroge playing it in public wouldn't be too hard.
And even if it's an eroge, you usually get ample warnings before H-scenes. :P Additionally, if you can find a spot where nobody can be behind you, say the back row of a bus, then it doesn't matter what you're playing. :D
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

[quote="Flutterz"
Steinherz wrote:That's what headphones are for :lol: . But yeah, if it's a non-eroge playing it in public wouldn't be too hard.
And even if it's an eroge, you usually get ample warnings before H-scenes. :P Additionally, if you can find a spot where nobody can be behind you, say the back row of a bus, then it doesn't matter what you're playing. :D[/quote]
You never know when a H-scene will appear. And when it happens, you don't want to ruin the mood by pressing Alt+F4. :P
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

OtakuNinja wrote: You never know when a H-scene will appear. And when it happens, you don't want to ruin the mood by pressing Alt+F4. :P
Some VNs have a "panic button" which (as the name suggests) allows you to "turn off" (i.e. hide) the screen so that no one can see whatever it was you were looking at. I know Wanko to Kuraso had it, and I seem to remember hearing that Majikoi had it too.

Though yes, reading it in a public place seems like it could potentially get incredibly awkward, panic button or no panic button.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:You never know when a H-scene will appear. And when it happens, you don't want to ruin the mood by pressing Alt+F4. :P
Minor eroge pairing spoilers:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29gc1hv&s=5
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2upcumf&s=5
Impossible to tell that an H-scene is coming. :P

Also I use Alt-Tab, most VNs have a confirmation window when you press Alt-F4, whereas Alt-Tab always works instantly. :D
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

But then there is always someone who'll ask what you were doing/looking at. :lol: