Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

OtakuNinja

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by OtakuNinja »

Walshy12238 wrote:
Ah okay, well I'll make sure to get my hands on it and find out what it's like
Do that and tell us what you think after completing a route. :)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:Why does everyone think Kanon's art is bad??? It's actually really good! :(

Clannad and LB are about 100+ hours. :lol:
I don't think it's bad, but I can certainly see where the people who think it is are coming from. Not only is it in the same style as Clannads, and a lot of people dislike that style for whatever reason, it is also lower quality than Clannad, and I can't say that the sprites in Clannad are super HD. :P

Figures - I can't even tell if I've spent 50 or 100 hours on something. xD The best I can do is keep an excel spreadsheet of the dates I started and finished them. :P
OtakuNinja wrote:Yeah the anime is good, but I recommend that you watch it after playing the VN. The VN is good, but I prefer Kanon. There are too many decision points in Clannad.
That's one point that I have to concede - Clannad is like a freaking maze. :D
Walshy12238 wrote:Ah okay, well I'll make sure to get my hands on it and find out what it's like
Whenever I do a new VN for the first time, I just completely ignore trying to get a specific character's route and just make the choices that I would have if that were actually me.

By the way, I've gotten up to 560 Kanji :D
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Flutterz wrote: I don't think it's bad, but I can certainly see where the people who think it is are coming from. Not only is it in the same style as Clannads, and a lot of people dislike that style for whatever reason, it is also lower quality than Clannad, and I can't say that the sprites in Clannad are super HD. :P
Most people I've talked to seem to think that the art in Clannad is superior to the art in Kanon. Clearly they haven't played the game. :lol: Kanon's art creates a perfect setting for the story.
Walshy12238 wrote:Ah okay, well I'll make sure to get my hands on it and find out what it's like
Whenever I do a new VN for the first time, I just completely ignore trying to get a specific character's route and just make the choices that I would have if that were actually me.

By the way, I've gotten up to 560 Kanji :D
Yeah, but in Clannad that's not a good idea. You'll Always, one qay or the other, after XX amount of time get the "stay in bed ending", aka the one with no romantic success. :P

Congrats, I'm still at 25 but I expect to learn a lot next year when I begin my second course in Japanese. :)

Btw, I just noticed that Doki's translation of Tomoyo After has finally been completed. Guess what I'll be playing this summer... ;)
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote: Yeah, but in Clannad that's not a good idea. You'll Always, one qay or the other, after XX amount of time get the "stay in bed ending", aka the one with no romantic success. :P

Congrats, I'm still at 25 but I expect to learn a lot next year when I begin my second course in Japanese. :)

Btw, I just noticed that Doki's translation of Tomoyo After has finally been completed. Guess what I'll be playing this summer... ;)
That's true, but it's still pretty much the only time you can make choices based solely on what you're seeing. I managed to get Komura's ending after failing the basketball game in Nagisa's route this way :P

I've actually found this guide, which is right up my alley. :D
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Flutterz wrote:That's true, but it's still pretty much the only time you can make choices based solely on what you're seeing. I managed to get Komura's ending after failing the basketball game in Nagisa's route this way :P
I got the ending when you reject Ryou when I did it. :P
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:I got the ending when you reject Ryou when I did it. :P
Mine was really annoying because I completely ignored Tomoyo early on and so could not ask her to help with the game, so I couldn't win no matter what :P

This is becoming a pure spoiler thread. xD
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Flutterz wrote: This is becoming a pure spoiler thread. xD
I could choose between all of the available players, but I chose Yukine. :lol:
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:I could choose between all of the available players, but I chose Yukine. :lol:
I think I went with Ryou the first time, seemed like a reasonable choice, but it seems she's better with dictionaries than balls. :D
Speaking of Yukine, she was probably my favourite after the main cast. :D
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Flutterz wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:I could choose between all of the available players, but I chose Yukine. :lol:
I think I went with Ryou the first time, seemed like a reasonable choice, but it seems she's better with dictionaries than balls. :D
Speaking of Yukine, she was probably my favourite after the main cast. :D
Kyou is the one who's good with dictionaries. Ryou isn't good with anything. :lol:

Yukine and Lilly share the same motherly air. :)
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:Kyou is the one who's good with dictionaries. Ryou isn't good with anything. :lol:

Yukine and Lilly share the same motherly air. :)
I'm terrible with names, so I still get Kyou and Ryou's names mixed up every now and then. xD
But I remember having high hopes for her, which means I probably picked Kyou. :lol:

Also tea rooms. :D
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

I've finished Shuffle!, and it's nothing more than what I expected - a SoL eroge with a bit of fantasy mixed in, and a plot only slightly more complicated than that of Muv-Luv Extra. The part that sticks out like a sore thumb is that there is absolutely no filler in the game, a single day can easily be a 10-20 line scene, which makes it a little jarring at times, but other than that it was fairly decent. Shame there's no love for Kareha or Mayumi. :P

In short, it was a good distraction from the depressing world of Umineko, which of course I am going back into with Chiru. I might actually use the tweak this time because I only just realized it adds voices, which might be interesting.
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

Damn it you guys, I can't read half of this page because it's all spoilers :P
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Walshy12238 wrote:Damn it you guys, I can't read half of this page because it's all spoilers :P
It's not half - only about 35% :P
Walshy12238

Post by Walshy12238 »

Flutterz wrote:
Walshy12238 wrote:Damn it you guys, I can't read half of this page because it's all spoilers :P
It's not half - only about 35% :P
Well that's acceptable then, I can handle 35% :P

But I seriously should read these VNs and then come back and read the 35% that I can't now
Lilly > Hanako=Emi > Shizune > Rin
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Walshy12238 wrote:Well that's acceptable then, I can handle 35% :P

But I seriously should read these VNs and then come back and read the 35% that I can't now
Well the only VN we've been spoiling is Clannad, so come back when you've finished that. :D