Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Flutterz

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Flutterz »

Auratus wrote:
Flutterz wrote: Images for the link! :D
Not to mention about the most character that resemble Germanic/Latin alphabet. About the link, You are welcome. Good luck remember the Kanji. :D
Images, you made my day. xD
OtakuNinja wrote: Are you a native English speaker or did you learn that too? :) I'm fluent in Swedish and English, and I understand most Danish, Norwegian and German. :)

You know what, I'll ask my sensei when I see her on Friday. :lol:
I am a native Russian, but because we've been moving to Canada and back because reasons, I've been speaking both Russian and English since I was 6, but English didn't come easily at first. :) I've also been learning Spanish and French on and off, French because it's a useful language in Canada, and Spanish because my parents wanted me to learn a language that wasn't required, but because I had no motivation to learn them whatsoever, so I didn't learn much. I can understand and form some basic sentences in Spanish, and I've all but forgotten French.
OtakuNinja wrote:I have a test on all katakana this upcoming Friday, and I Think they're fairly easy to learn. The problems are the advanced ones, like "ve" or "ti".
They are fairly easy, but they all look too much alike.
Wait, "ve"? "ti"? I don't have those! D: I just have the ones I got off of the wiki page.
marian11 wrote:Can anyone recommend me a dating sim that is very similar to Katawa Shoujo ? The more you recommend the better. :)
If you want something really like Katawa Shoujo, try Yume Miru Kusuri, Yukizakura, Deardrops. They're all very Slice of Life, without much overarching plot. But if you want a really good VN that might not be as similar to KS, try Ever17 or Steins;Gate. There's a lot less romance in them, but the story is really, really good. ;)

Edit: Gah, I can't take it anymore. I just can't seem to get a couple of the endings in School Days. The fact that every walkthough I've found seems to use some slightly different version of the game doesn't help. I follow the instructions to the letter, and end up on a different route. So for the sake of my sanity, I'm going to call School Days finished. I got all of the major endings anyway. Also I have some exams to pass, so I'm going to wait until that's over before I pick up Umineko no Naku Koro ni. :P
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
Zilveri

Post by Zilveri »

OtakuNinja wrote:I want to understand Japanese, Italian, Finnish, Spanish, Russian, Icelandic and Chinese, in that order. :)
Good luck. :) I may start to try learning Swedish again. Swedish didn't interest me at all at school, so I didn't really even tried to learn it. But now when I'm older, learning new languages has become interesting. Maybe I'll try to find my old schoolbooks...
marian11 wrote:Can anyone recommend me a dating sim that is very similar to Katawa Shoujo ? The more you recommend the better. :)
I agree with Flutterz. I haven't played the rest, but I recommend Yume Miru Kusuri. I will play Ever17 and Steins;Gate somewhere in the future. Luckily, I haven't read any spoilers. I also recommend Clannad. If you haven't already, read atleast the 1st page of this topic: Devs recommended their favorites.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Flutterz wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:I have a test on all katakana this upcoming Friday, and I Think they're fairly easy to learn. The problems are the advanced ones, like "ve" or "ti".
They are fairly easy, but they all look too much alike.
Wait, "ve"? "ti"? I don't have those! D: I just have the ones I got off of the wiki page.
"Shi", "tsu", "so" and "n" are really hard, but I've managed to learn the differences.

You have to combine some of the other katkana, I'll upload it tomorrow. :)
Flutterz wrote:I can't take it anymore. I just can't seem to get a couple of the endings in School Days.
Just look at the route map and see what you did wrong. :)
Zilveri wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:I want to understand Japanese, Italian, Finnish, Spanish, Russian, Icelandic and Chinese, in that order. :)
Good luck. :) I may start to try learning Swedish again. Swedish didn't interest me at all at school, so I didn't really even tried to learn it. But now when I'm older, learning new languages has become interesting. Maybe I'll try to find my old schoolbooks...
If you manage to learn Swedish, you've managed to at least understand Norwegian and Danish - in other words, pick up the books. :lol:
Narcissu isn't a dating sim, but it's worth downloading. :)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:"Shi", "tsu", "so" and "n" are really hard, but I've managed to learn the differences.
Ooh, I actually thought of a really good way to memorize those 4, and haven't gotten them wrong a single time yet! :D
ツシ
ソン
At least with the way they're written in fonts, the ones on the left look like faces that are looking left, and the ones on the right look like faces looking right. Then you get two pairs, (t)sushi and son, which are easy words to remember. :D
OtakuNinja wrote:Just look at the route map and see what you did wrong. :)
The map isn't that helpful, it doesn't tell you which choices branch where, and sometimes you just need a certain heroine affection level, so even if the map says there are two branches ahead, it's very possible that you're already at the point where you can only get one of them.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Flutterz wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:"Shi", "tsu", "so" and "n" are really hard, but I've managed to learn the differences.
Ooh, I actually thought of a really good way to memorize those 4, and haven't gotten them wrong a single time yet! :D
ツシ
ソン
At least with the way they're written in fonts, the ones on the left look like faces that are looking left, and the ones on the right look like faces looking right. Then you get two pairs, (t)sushi and son, which are easy words to remember. :D
Here's what I thought of:
"Tsu" and "shi" consists of three letters, therefore there are three lines in katakana. ツシ
"Shi" and "n" can be pronounced as chin, and therefore their "eyes" are more horizontal. シン

It's not the best way, but it works for me. :lol:
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

OtakuNinja wrote:
Flutterz wrote:
ツシ
ソン
Here's what I thought of:
"Tsu" and "shi" consists of three letters, therefore there are three lines in katakana. ツシ
"Shi" and "n" can be pronounced as chin, and therefore their "eyes" are more horizontal. シン

It's not the best way, but it works for me. :lol:
I recalled someone told me that "Tsu" and "So" written with writing right stroke downward, and "Shi" and "-n" written with drawing right stroke upward.

”Ti" written like Te with "small "i"" (forget what it's called) ,or ティ Example, Party = パーティ also applied to Da (tenten-ed Ta)

"Wi" or anything with "w" but "Wa (ワ)" and ”Wo (ヲ)” is using "U" and "small "i" and "e"" for "Wi" and "We"(Way), respectively. ウィ ウェ
Example: Wikipedia => Wiki(pe)dia  ウィキペディア
I want to make Thai Translation of KS alone and protesting with this signature.

Unofficially Demanding. Temporary even-more malfunctioned in English Grammar.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Auratus wrote:I recalled someone told me that "Tsu" and "So" written with writing right stroke downward, and "Shi" and "-n" written with drawing right stroke upward.

”Ti" written like Te with "small "i"" (forget what it's called) ,or ティ Example, Party = パーティ also applied to Da (tenten-ed Ta)

"Wi" or anything with "w" but "Wa (ワ)" and ”Wo (ヲ)” is using "U" and "small "i" and "e"" for "Wi" and "We"(Way), respectively. ウィ ウェ
Example: Wikipedia => Wiki(pe)dia  ウィキペディア
I was about to ask why you can't just use ヂ for "di", but then I remembered that ヂ is "ji". :oops:
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

As for Higurashi, I think you should actually finish reading the whole thing first before watching as the first person pov adds to the experience along with the fact it is the original source. If anything you can tweak the game with patches to have updated art and BGMs so they look like the anime instead of the muffin hands in Higurashi.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

I skipped the entire VN and only watched the end of Kuroneko's route. :lol:
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:I skipped the entire VN and only watched the end of Kuroneko's route. :lol:
Well that sounds like either a waste, or just a crappy VN. :P
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

Flutterz wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:I skipped the entire VN and only watched the end of Kuroneko's route. :lol:
Can someone explain why her name is literally mean "Black Cat"? I think that's kind of sign for good luck in Japanese culture.
I want to make Thai Translation of KS alone and protesting with this signature.

Unofficially Demanding. Temporary even-more malfunctioned in English Grammar.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

Just feel like dropping this here

http://visualnovelaer.fuwanovel.org/201 ... -normally/

I wonder how long until it comes out and eventually translated
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

stanman237 wrote:Just feel like dropping this here

http://visualnovelaer.fuwanovel.org/201 ... -normally/

I wonder how long until it comes out and eventually translated
What a coincidence, literally just yesterday I remembered reading something about a possible Angel Beats VN, and upon looking it up I saw that it was planned/in progress and that more info would be given in the Summer of 2013. :P
It'll probably take at least 7-9 months just to get translated after it gets released, IF the translation begins as soon as it is out, which I very much doubt will happen. :/
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Flutterz wrote:
I "played it " on YouTube. :lol: You'll see what I mean.
Auratus wrote:Can someone explain why her name is literally mean "Black Cat"? I think that's kind of sign for good luck in Japanese culture.
It's her nickname. Her real name is Ruri Gokou. ;)
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Just 1 exam left, and then I can seriously get into Kanji and back into VNs :D Speaking of which I've decided to do Sharin no Kuni, Yuukyuu no Shounenshoujo(the fandisk) next. I don't remember why I didn't do it immediately after the main game, but I'm sure I had my reasons. :lol:

Speaking of Akabeisoft2, translation of their latest not-completely-crazy VN Kourin no Machi, Lavender no Shoujo has begun very recently over at Lavender Translations. The name is as cryptic as ever: Halo Town, Lavender Girl. :P