Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

stanman237

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by stanman237 »

OtakuNinja wrote:I just bought School Days collector's edition, so I hope it's wirth the money. My only regret is that it'll be shipped directly to my house = parents might wonder what it is. :oops:
Lol I hope they don't find the special mousepad it comes with
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

stanman237 wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:I just bought School Days collector's edition, so I hope it's wirth the money. My only regret is that it'll be shipped directly to my house = parents might wonder what it is. :oops:
Don't worry, I'm sure he isn't called OtakuNinja for nothing. If he does it right he could replace his parents' mousepad with the one he got and they wouldn't notice.
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
Zilveri

Post by Zilveri »

Flutterz wrote:
stanman237 wrote:
Don't worry, I'm sure he isn't called OtakuNinja for nothing. If he does it right he could replace his parents' mousepad with the one he got and they wouldn't notice.
"Special mousepad"? "Well I have watched the anime, so I guess it's yandere or something like that." :?

*Investigates*

How wrong was I... Yeah, they never would notice the change. :D
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

It just became worse. The game will probably arrive tomorrow, around the time when my entire family will be here - grandparents, cousins, everyone! :( It doesn't help that the game comes in an "oversized box". I guess I'll have to make use of my name and hide it somewhere safe without anyone noticing that I'm gone. :|
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:It just became worse. The game will probably arrive tomorrow, around the time when my entire family will be here - grandparents, cousins, everyone! :( It doesn't help that the game comes in an "oversized box". I guess I'll have to make use of my name and hide it somewhere safe without anyone noticing that I'm gone. :|
So, how did it go? Does your entire family think of you as a creepy otaku now? :P

Finished Kana Imouto, it was a nice and short, but non-linear utsuge. It's somewhat reminiscent of Narcissu, mostly because both deal with terminal diseases and coming to terms with death. The sprites are cute, and as characters grow up their sprites change. A couple of the H-scenes don't add much to the story, but at the same time they don't feel too shoehorned in, so it's all good. So if you want a tearjerker, I'd recommend it.

Since we're talking about School Days, and I happen to need another VN to read, I've decided that I'll read School Days next.

On a side note, I've started watching the Higurashi anime, and not only is it really interesting to watch when you know what is actually happening, but the intro is one of the best I've seen in a while.
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

About Higurashi, Flutterz. I thinks I just finish half (innocent part) of Watanagashi Arc, and I realized finished first arc aren't spoiled anything in second arc save for few obvious things. For some reason, I don't play Higurashi after the sun is set...
I want to make Thai Translation of KS alone and protesting with this signature.

Unofficially Demanding. Temporary even-more malfunctioned in English Grammar.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Flutterz wrote:So, how did it go? Does your entire family think of you as a creepy otaku now? :P

Since we're talking about School Days, and I happen to need another VN to read, I've decided that I'll read School Days next.
I forgot it's Easter = no mail. It'll probably arrive here on Tuesday instead. :)

You can't read School Days - you have to watch it. They made the entire game like an anime. :lol:
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Auratus wrote:About Higurashi, Flutterz. I thinks I just finish half (innocent part) of Watanagashi Arc, and I realized finished first arc aren't spoiled anything in second arc save for few obvious things. For some reason, I don't play Higurashi after the sun is set...
The arcs in Higurashi are very different, and there's a reason for that. The non-spoiler explanation is that it is made that way so that you have no idea what is going on :P
OtakuNinja wrote:I forgot it's Easter = no mail. It'll probably arrive here on Tuesday instead. :)

You can't read School Days - you have to watch it. They made the entire game like an anime. :lol:
So it's Muv-Luv all over again? :D

Still downloading it though because it's freaking huge... I could download it during the day, but then I wouldn't be able to play any online games, and that just wouldn't do. >.>
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Oh god, choices have a time limit and you can't save during a choice? My OCD is going to kill me...
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Choices have a time limit, you can't save during a choice, AND not making a choice can count as a different choice from the ones onscreen SOMETIMES.

0verflow are best trolls. :3
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

What have I gotten myself into... :lol:
It sounds awesome. Now I can ignore stupid choices.

EDIT: For stupid choices, play Rin's route.
Last edited by OtakuNinja on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

Its sorta like Chaos;Head, where you can choose the happy delusion, bad delusion, or snap out of it.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Silentcook wrote:Choices have a time limit, you can't save during a choice, AND not making a choice can count as a different choice from the ones onscreen SOMETIMES.

0verflow are best trolls. :3
Well, at least my OCD doesn't force me to 100% everything, only save at every choice... so I have to rewind every single time there is one Q_Q
stanman237 wrote:Its sorta like Chaos;Head, where you can choose the happy delusion, bad delusion, or snap out of it.
Not really, in Chaos;Head the delusion can easily be missed if you have no idea it's there, it lasts for a certain amount of lines and you can save during delusion picking.

So far School Days has been nice and cute, but it seems to fall in a weird uncanny valley between anime and VN. It seems like you're watching an anime, and then background characters talk without opening their mouths, characters' eyes are fixed dead ahead of them even if the person they are talking to isn't directly in front of them, and once zoomed in a character's facial expression never changes. Not to mention they rather often have expressions opposite to what you'd expect.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

So here I am, derping around, completed a route of School Days, and thinking that there's 1, maybe 2 or 3 left to do. Nope, apparently there's exactly 5 million different endingsWarning: may be an exaggeration and while my OCD won't make me 100% a game in the sense of unlocking secrets and viewing all the scenes and such, I do have to see every major ending, so it seems I'll be here for a while.

Also, I've remembered why School Days seemed vaguely familiar(besides the fact that Sekai looks a bit like Nagisa). There was that one Cracked Article [MAJOR SPOILERS] a year ago, and while I haven't gotten to anything that the article refers to, it's just a matter of time...
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

School Days was famous for the "nice boat" meme. But seriously, the Idiot Ball is God in that game/anime.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."