Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

encrypted12345

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by encrypted12345 »

Nobody in Particular wrote:
Qhost wrote:1. Monster Girl Quest 1
This is one of those RPG-eroge visual novels. Short summary: every monster you encounter attempts to rape you for your semen. Treat it as a joke if you may, but the storyline is probably one of the most advanced and engrossing ones in ANY eroge / VN.
That sounds surprisingly entertaining but I can't tell whether you were being sarcastic or not with the storyline thing.

While on the subject of gameplay orientated VNs, can anyone recommend a good one for someone that has never played one before? I'm currently siding with Sengoku Rance since that seems to get a lot of praise everywhere.
He's being honest about the storyline of Monster Girl Quest. It is very good despite or perhaps because of the premise. I wouldn't say advanced, but it is very engrossing. It also has old-school style RPG battle system, so it'll be significantly easier than Sengoku Rance. Both are must plays despite both being rapey.

Ultimately, most gameplay VNs are just RPGs for the PC. If you have experience with those, you should be set for most of them.

Oh, for the record, Rance VI and Rance VIII which are the prequel and sequel to Sengoku Rance (Rance VII) respectively are currently in translation. Rance VI should be done sometime next year (Translator is a complete bro BTW and fast), but Rance VIII will probably take longer. That being said, Sengoku Rance works as a standalone game.
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Qhost wrote: 4. Kira Kira
A visual-novel that certainly gives you goosebumps from time to time. The storyline is well written - at first it may seem rather lighthearted, but man, shit gets intense as the story progresses.
With the exception of one of the endings, Kira Kira never really gets serious. Even in the ending where it does go all srsbsns it still remains a comedy though, so for the most part it is just a light hearted comedy SoL VN.
Disagree completely, and moreover I have to question how long it's been since you played the game. Kira Kira does get very serious in all five of its major endings (that's excluding the bad ones, one of which is downright hysterical) - especially in Kirari's normal and true arcs, which are probably the heaviest. Each does end on a happy note, though (mileage may vary with the Kirari normal end - my second least favorite of the endings, incidentally).
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

encrypted12345 wrote: He's being honest about the storyline of Monster Girl Quest. It is very good despite or perhaps because of the premise. I wouldn't say advanced, but it is very engrossing. It also has old-school style RPG battle system, so it'll be significantly easier than Sengoku Rance. Both are must plays despite both being rapey.
Well I've seen the description of Monster Girl Quest and it looks funny and judging by the screenshots I have seen of Sengoku Rance, it seem downright hilarious.
encrypted12345 wrote:Oh, for the record, Rance VI and Rance VIII which are the prequel and sequel to Sengoku Rance (Rance VII) respectively are currently in translation. Rance VI should be done sometime next year (Translator is a complete bro BTW and fast), but Rance VIII will probably take longer. That being said, Sengoku Rance works as a standalone game.
I'm aware of this, but judging by people that have already played them it seems that Sengoku Rance is generally considered to be superior. It would also explain why it got translated first.
Mysterious Stranger wrote: Disagree completely, and moreover I have to question how long it's been since you played the game. Kira Kira does get very serious in all five of its major endings (that's excluding the bad ones, one of which is downright hysterical) - especially in Kirari's normal and true arcs, which are probably the heaviest. Each does end on a happy note, though (mileage may vary with the Kirari normal end - my second least favorite of the endings, incidentally).
I probably finished both KK games about two months ago, but I remember all the endings quite clearly. I suppose we are going to have to agree to disagree because the only "good" (including Kirari Normal) endings that swapped comedy for seriousness were the two Kirari ones, in my opinion. I suppose Sarina had it a bit too but it still stuck with the comedy roots at time, I think that was the whole point of that uncle character. Chie's was kinda like Act 1 and Act 2 with a slightly more serious story, but then it goes back to comedy.

Also you said there were five major endings? I'm pretty certain there were only four.
Panthour

Post by Panthour »

Yume Miru Kusuri - It has more H content and less paths but quite interesting and at some points heart warming nonetheless :)
S-Class Wizard. Emi is my waifu.
Mysterious Stranger

Mysterious Stranger wrote:Disagree completely, and moreover I have to question how long it's been since you played the game. Kira Kira does get very serious in all five of its major endings (that's excluding the bad ones, one of which is downright hysterical) - especially in Kirari's normal and true arcs, which are probably the heaviest. Each does end on a happy note, though (mileage may vary with the Kirari normal end - my second least favorite of the endings, incidentally).
I probably finished both KK games about two months ago, but I remember all the endings quite clearly. I suppose we are going to have to agree to disagree because the only "good" (including Kirari Normal) endings that swapped comedy for seriousness were the two Kirari ones, in my opinion. I suppose Sarina had it a bit too but it still stuck with the comedy roots at time, I think that was the whole point of that uncle character. Chie's was kinda like Act 1 and Act 2 with a slightly more serious story, but then it goes back to comedy.

Also you said there were five major endings? I'm pretty certain there were only four.
Yes, please disregard my idiocy there. For some reason I was counting five instead of four... actually, I think it must be that, while typing that response up, I had just taken a look at the five movies contained in the game files - four of which are the credits specific to each ending, and the fifth is the opening. That must've been it. Yes, that's the ticket.

Anyway, I don't deny that comedic elements remain fairly constant throughout every single route (again, with the possible exception of the Kirari normal end), but I have to say, the tone shifts in Chapter 3 (respective to each arc, of course) were fairly tremendous. I mean, you have Sarina's backstory, with her parents dying, and her grandfather's own tragic history (i.e. his entire family dying at once), and their dysfunctional family dynamic in general - even Yuji-san, who comes off as arguably the most light-hearted character in the arc, has a tragic side, having to deal with the estrangement of his father and brother and then discovering his brother's suicide a week or two after it occurred. And that's not even mentioning her illness, even if they don't really do anything with that as a storytelling device. With Chie's arc, I suppose Midori-chan's character lends a lot of light-heartedness, but I didn't find that it muted the solemnity of Chie's struggles with her own family to any substantial degree. I guess it was the least heavy of all the endings, but I thought it was the most genuine. And certainly not overly comedic.

As you said, though, each of them eventually revert back to comedy and end on a happy note. Even when it's for the worse... *cough* Sarina ending *cough*. But overall I'd say Kira Kira gets pretty damn dark in its second half regardless of which route you happen to take.

On a related note - obviously I finished Kira Kira just recently, about a week ago, and I've been wondering whether or not to take the time to play Curtain Call. Is it really worth it, can it wait, or is it possibly a waste of time? Any input on that would be appreciated. Deardrops is also on my list, but I'm under the impression that it has substantially less to do with the original game than Curtain Call, and in fact works as a standalone.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Nobody in Particular

Mysterious Stranger wrote: On a related note - obviously I finished Kira Kira just recently, about a week ago, and I've been wondering whether or not to take the time to play Curtain Call. Is it really worth it, can it wait, or is it possibly a waste of time? Any input on that would be appreciated. Deardrops is also on my list, but I'm under the impression that it has substantially less to do with the original game than Curtain Call, and in fact works as a standalone.
Personally I would say play it. Curtain Call is much inferior to KK, but it does provide some nice closure to the series and answers any unanswered questions, especially in Stage 2. Deardrops seems to be hit or miss for most people, although I would recommend playing it after finishing Curtain Call. Just because you liked Kira Kira doesn't mean you'll like Deardrops, as it is basically a much less light hearted and more serious (although still a comedy) version of KK, but it is still worth reading.
Mysterious Stranger

Nobody in Particular wrote:Personally I would say play it. Curtain Call is much inferior to KK, but it does provide some nice closure to the series and answers any unanswered questions, especially in Stage 2. Deardrops seems to be hit or miss for most people, although I would recommend playing it after finishing Curtain Call. Just because you liked Kira Kira doesn't mean you'll like Deardrops, as it is basically a much less light hearted and more serious (although still a comedy) version of KK, but it is still worth reading.
Closure, huh... I guess I could certainly use some of that. Although I assume that Curtain Call follows the events of Kirari's true ending from the original game, and not, say, the ending that happened to be the most in need of closure, i.e. Sarina's ending. To clarify, though, Deardrops only has a tertiary connection to Kira Kira, in the form of a couple cameos, right? I don't believe I heard of anything beyond that.
Nobody in Particular

Mysterious Stranger wrote: Closure, huh... I guess I could certainly use some of that. Although I assume that Curtain Call follows the events of Kirari's true ending from the original game, and not, say, the ending that happened to be the most in need of closure, i.e. Sarina's ending. To clarify, though, Deardrops only has a tertiary connection to Kira Kira, in the form of a couple cameos, right? I don't believe I heard of anything beyond that.
I thought Sarina's ending had a great amount of closure. The ending was pretty bad but it still tied up all the loose ends. Curtain Call takes place 4-5 years after the True Ending of KK and basically continues the story from there. Deardrops has a few references and even cameos from Kira Kira and Kira Kira Curtain Call but apart from that there is no relation.
Crax

Post by Crax »

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
Nobody in Particular wrote:Personally I would say play it. Curtain Call is much inferior to KK, but it does provide some nice closure to the series and answers any unanswered questions, especially in Stage 2. Deardrops seems to be hit or miss for most people, although I would recommend playing it after finishing Curtain Call. Just because you liked Kira Kira doesn't mean you'll like Deardrops, as it is basically a much less light hearted and more serious (although still a comedy) version of KK, but it is still worth reading.
Closure, huh... I guess I could certainly use some of that. Although I assume that Curtain Call follows the events of Kirari's true ending from the original game, and not, say, the ending that happened to be the most in need of closure, i.e. Sarina's ending. To clarify, though, Deardrops only has a tertiary connection to Kira Kira, in the form of a couple cameos, right? I don't believe I heard of anything beyond that.
Kirari makes a brief appearance in Deardrops, and in the sequel Deardrops: Cross the Future, the d2b band come together once again to have a band duel with Deardrops. I suppose that this isn't spoilers: This VN mainly focuses about the strained, far apart love relationship between Kirari and the protagonist because of 'that certain event' in Kirari's True End. The protagonist unconsciously keeps his distance and doesn't feel the anxiety a normal couple would when your lover drops in like five times a year, and Kirari pretending that she doesn't notice it. It is quite entertaining to read.
Mysterious Stranger

Crax wrote:Kirari makes a brief appearance in Deardrops, and in the sequel Deardrops: Cross the Future, the d2b band come together once again to have a band duel with Deardrops. I suppose that this isn't spoilers: This VN mainly focuses about the strained, far apart love relationship between Kirari and the protagonist because of 'that certain event' in Kirari's True End. The protagonist unconsciously keeps his distance and doesn't feel the anxiety a normal couple would when your lover drops in like five times a year, and Kirari pretending that she doesn't notice it. It is quite entertaining to read.
Whoa whoa whoa, hold up there. You're talking about the protagonist of Deadrops? And now suddenly he's in a relationship with Kirari? What happened to Bakanosuke? Also, I thought it was pretty clear in the original game's true ending that Kira-chan overcame whatever doubts or issues she might've had with regard to "that certain event" in order to be with him. So why this sudden turn of events? Did something happen? And if you're talking about Cross the Future with that non-spoilery synopsis... I assume that in Deardrops the protagonist would enter a relationship with one of the main heroines of that game. So why would he be in a relationship with Kirari at the start of Cross the Future? And another thing, there's another Kira Kira fandisc, this time a crossover with Deardrops? Do I have to play this one, too?
Nobody in Particular

Mysterious Stranger wrote: Whoa whoa whoa, hold up there. You're talking about the protagonist of Deadrops? And now suddenly he's in a relationship with Kirari? What happened to Bakanosuke?
No, reading Curtain Call will tell you all about Shikanosuke and Kirari. As that guy said Kirari makes a cameo in DEARDROPS, she is not an important character.
Mysterious Stranger wrote:Also, I thought it was pretty clear in the original game's true ending that Kira-chan overcame whatever doubts or issues she might've had with regard to "that certain event" in order to be with him.
She did.
Mysterious Stranger wrote:So why this sudden turn of events? Did something happen?
You obviously just misunderstood what that guy meant.
Mysterious Stranger wrote:And if you're talking about Cross the Future with that non-spoilery synopsis... I assume that in Deardrops the protagonist would enter a relationship with one of the main heroines of that game.
He does. Play DEARDROPS for that.
Mysterious Stranger wrote:So why would he be in a relationship with Kirari at the start of Cross the Future? And another thing, there's another Kira Kira fandisc, this time a crossover with Deardrops? Do I have to play this one, too?
You don't have to play any of the VNs set in the Kira Kira universe if you don't want to. They do give you better insight to the series however so I would recommend them, even though the original Kira Kira is significantly better. Also d2b vs. DEARDROPS is untranslated.
Mysterious Stranger

Nobody in Particular wrote:You don't have to play any of the VNs set in the Kira Kira universe if you don't want to. They do give you better insight to the series however so I would recommend them, even though the original Kira Kira is significantly better. Also d2b vs. DEARDROPS is untranslated.
Hah, well, most of my previous post was meant to be facetious, but thank you for the clarifications nonetheless. The reason I'm so dead-set on these spinoffs is simply because I really was not satisfied with Kira Kira overall, mostly because of the endings. If you say Curtain Call and Deardrops give some more insight, then I probably will play them at some point.

Also, that last bit is a relief.
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

Curtain Call doesn't really give much insight, and the new characters are bland as hell (especially the girlfriend). The most interesting thing about it is to read about Murakami's doubts and fears about his future (he was one of the side characters that I actually find really interesting), and Shikanosuke clawing the floor as he was dragged for a session of cross dressing. Gahahaha.

Btw, just replace all of the 'protagonist' I've said before with 'Shikanosuke' and keep out all Deardrops character from the mix, and that would properly convey its meaning. Sorry that I kinda forgot what Shikanosuke's name is lol, it's been a while since I've read Kira Kira. And yes, I'm Crax, was lazy to login before.

Despite the fact that Kira Kira is still the standing best out of its own series, the indirect/direct sequels are definitely worth the read. If you can't read Japanese then that's really unfortunate, because d2b vs Deardrops is probably the 2nd best. You could try and use AGTH/ATLAS though if you're really dead set on reading them, because I did even with kanji knowledge. And oh, if you have a PSP and again can read Japanese without a hitch, I suggest you get Deardrops: Distortion (This is a strong, strong contender for 2nd place) instead of the PC version Deardrops for more songs, CGs, and an extra Golden route (literally).

... Yeah you probably realized by now I'm a diehard fan of the Kira Kira series. SWEET NOISY by DEARDROPS OP! xD
" It would be hard to believe I was nearly killed by a love confession."
Xiious

Post by Xiious »

34 pages and none that I haven't read yet :/
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

Xiious wrote:34 pages and none that I haven't read yet :/
Then I'm gonna suggest something that didn't come out yet lol, Rewrite Havest Festa