Theory regarding Hanako's "dark tiles" game.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

PasterOfMuppets

Re: Theory regarding Hanako's "dark tiles" game.

Post by PasterOfMuppets »

Anyone who hasn't played this game has no soul...
That is all.
Good joke... Everybody laugh... Roll on snare drum... Curtains...

Hanako = Shizune = Lilly = Rin > Kenji > Placeholder > Emi
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

Katawa Shoujo Act 1 wrote: Every now and again, she breaks her pace a little and steps in slightly shorter paces.
The tiles clearly aren't placed evenly like on a chessboard.
Katawa Shoujo Act 1 wrote:Shuffling her feet, Hanako points the toe of her shoe at a tile that is barely a shade darker than the others.
They're also clearly not black and white either.

Basically, you're just reading WAY too far into something that the Devs stated in one of the blog posts was just thrown in anyway.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who
Jaden82

Post by Jaden82 »

I used to have an bit of OCD when I was younger. I would play the tile game quite often back in elementary because the school I was going to had alternating white and black tiles everywhere. It might be a game to her, but I remember it being somewhat calming to me...taking my mind off some things as I simply focused on the black and white tiles ahead of me. I wonder if the effect's the same for Hanako...allowing her to relax, especially around Hisao when walking with him.
Being deaf has its advantages...such as I don't have to run into a burning building because I can't hear the screams for help.
Shujoxa

Post by Shujoxa »

Totz the Plaid wrote:
Katawa Shoujo Act 1 wrote: Every now and again, she breaks her pace a little and steps in slightly shorter paces.
Katawa Shoujo Act 1 wrote:Shuffling her feet, Hanako points the toe of her shoe at a tile that is barely a shade darker than the others.
It still doesn't take away from the idea of "darker squares." You're talking about a person traumatized, who knows what she could look at or hear and associate with the incident.
Totz the Plaid wrote:Basically, you're just reading WAY too far into something that the Devs stated in one of the blog posts was just thrown in anyway.
I'll admit that, there's no way I can avoid admitting it, however, another blog post pretty much stated they lie out of their asses at times. So while my theory is weak, so is your counter.
It would be beautiful if KS was released for download on October 7. Greatest. B-day gift. Ever. (This is not meant to be taken as telling the devs to hurry up, so please don't take it as such, it's just a dream of sorts.)
Rocket Royal

Post by Rocket Royal »

I've gone to a store that had more than two different colored tiles. There were the white ones, the gray ones, the black ones, and the light blue ones. They followed a general layout, and we had to stick to the grey and blue ones. They weren't entirely orderly either, occasionally having to jump across tiles or refusing to move ahead as there was another customer blocking the only available path. So the wording of it seemed perfectly fine. It does not help the bishop idea though. There didn't need to be only two colors, you just designate any tile that was dark enough as qualified.
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

Shujoxa wrote:
Totz the Plaid wrote:
It still doesn't take away from the idea of "darker squares." You're talking about a person traumatized, who knows what she could look at or hear and associate with the incident.
1 - She's not described as zig-zagging in diagonals like Bishops do in chess. In fact, that movement is quite unlike any chess piece except, and it'd still be a stretch to associate it with this, a Pawn. If you have to associate it with a game at all, it's far more like checkers than anything else.
2 - As stated by numerous people in this thread, that sort of behavior is so normal to do at one point or another that you're probably weird if you've never done something similar.
Shujoxa wrote:
Totz the Plaid wrote:Basically, you're just reading WAY too far into something that the Devs stated in one of the blog posts was just thrown in anyway.
I'll admit that, there's no way I can avoid admitting it, however, another blog post pretty much stated they lie out of their asses at times. So while my theory is weak, so is your counter.
3 - The Devs didn't say they lie out their asses all the time, and really, taking that as a defense for an already somewhat absurd theory is just paranoid and kinda crazy.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who
Hokkou

Post by Hokkou »

Have to agree with several other posters in here... Surely, almost everyone must have played similar "games" at least when they were kids :P

Even now, I still have a tendency to suddenly start following patterns or whatever it could be, when I'm out walking alone (like avoiding stepping onto cracks in the asphalt or avoiding the coloured dots if there are such on the floor in a supermarket or w/e)
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

Hokkou wrote:Have to agree with several other posters in here... Surely, almost everyone must have played similar "games" at least when they were kids :P

Even now, I still have a tendency to suddenly start following patterns or whatever it could be, when I'm out walking alone (like avoiding stepping onto cracks in the asphalt or avoiding the coloured dots if there are such on the floor in a supermarket or w/e)
Indeed. I'm 22 years old and even to this day when walking on a sidewalk I'll sometimes unconsciously measure my steps to avoid stepping on the spaces between sidewalk slabs, or when I'm walking next to a parking lot or whatever, I'll step up onto the blocks, or an edge or something and walk on that. It's just something simple and fun to do. It's one of those little bits of childlike behavior that stick with most well-adjusted people. If you don't do little things every so often, just because they make your normal activities a little more fun, then I think there's probably something wrong with you.
A1phaDrag0n

Post by A1phaDrag0n »

I thought everyone played this sort of game, or games similar. :?
Hanako=Rin>Lilly>Misha=Emi>Shizune

"They probably think you're a furry, your signature screams it. If they don't they definitely think your a newfag..."

"... lurk moar?"

"Probably your best bet at this point..."
DaMan65

Post by DaMan65 »

A1phaDrag0n wrote:I thought everyone played this sort of game, or games similar. :?
I know I do
By reading this you have given me temporary control of you mind
Saraquill

Post by Saraquill »

A1phaDrag0n wrote:I thought everyone played this sort of game, or games similar. :?

It's not always a solitary game either. Someone could call out, "step on black, and you're in lava," and we would take lots of care not to touch the black.
Bringerof_D

Post by Bringerof_D »

DaMan65 wrote:
Shujoxa wrote: ...yeah, I'm reading way too effing deep into this, I need to get out with my friends.
Yeah I tried to leave my house today the second I stepped foot outside it started raining.

I was like.... wow.... oh well BACK TO THE FORUMS!!!!
God wants you to stay inside and post on the forums! >:D

back on topic the different shaded tiles in my highschool were NOT regularly patterned in any way. Best theory thus far is that she played this game as a kid while with her father and now subconsciously plays it as a way to feel his presence. The petname if anything would be a result of her actions, not the cause. If i was called Pawn i wouldn't only walk forward or diagonally would i?
Sajomir

Post by Sajomir »

I sure did! I had to step on things an evenly on each foot. Could be color tiles, cracks in the sidewalk... stepping *over* cracks in the sidewalk, too. When I started paying attention to the left/right tires in the car going over cracks in the road is when I realized that I couldn't just stop XD
Kinda forced myself to break that habit. Saved my sanity, but I'll be fond of those games. :)

I think the theory of Hanako being a black bishop is cool. Even if it's not "canon" somehow, there's nothing to say she can't be given such a nickname within the community. I'm sure she's often just trying to slip through crowds just like a bishop.
Animator for the Katawa Shoujo Fighting Game
We are looking for additional animators and spriters! Please PM me :D
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

I don't really remember this game, or any like it being particularly important to me while growing up.

*Shrugs*

I guess I'm the oddball.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Rohalmen509

Post by Rohalmen509 »

... anyone else want Hanako to play Risk or Chess against Shizune? :? The thought just crossed my mind right now.
Hokkou wrote:Have to agree with several other posters in here... Surely, almost everyone must have played similar "games" at least when they were kids :P
YES!
I found out about KS from japanator, during Ero-week.

RinxKenji forever~ Rin shall succumb to Kenji's impressive intelligence, and Rin shall make him walk the straight path to victory.
my evidence to this. http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3044 :)

Rin > Hanako > Shizune > Lilly > Kenji > Emi