Time skip

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Sid Vicious

Time skip

Post by Sid Vicious »

I have heard the way some people are talking about the next acts in the story and they are acting like at some point there is a time skip and i was wondering if that is true
I'll die before I'm 25, and when I do I'll have lived the way I wanted to-RIP Sid Vicious

Hanako > Rin > Lily > Emi > Shizune
Totz the Plaid

Re: Time skip

Post by Totz the Plaid »

Well, I don't think it's been confirmed by the Devs yet, but it seems likely. RAITA's original omake page that inspired the whole project said "Play time is three months" and since Act 1 only covered a week of Hisao's time at Yamaku (as the prologue obviously doesn't factor into the play time), it seems unlikely that we'll experience every single day of that time in the other three acts. The time skips will be pretty short, probably a month at the very most, and I'd guess more likely a few days to a week, but minor time skips seem all but assured.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who
Shujoxa

Post by Shujoxa »

Totz the Plaid wrote:Well, I don't think it's been confirmed by the Devs yet, but it seems likely. RAITA's original omake page that inspired the whole project said "Play time is three months" and since Act 1 only covered a week of Hisao's time at Yamaku (as the prologue obviously doesn't factor into the play time), it seems unlikely that we'll experience every single day of that time in the other three acts. The time skips will be pretty short, probably a month at the very most, and I'd guess more likely a few days to a week, but minor time skips seem all but assured.

Though I'm not sure if they have or haven't gone back and changed the "three months" thing (the "Words of Gods" blog post has me paranoid that anything we "know" about KS is either a lie or is going to change tomorrow.).
It would be beautiful if KS was released for download on October 7. Greatest. B-day gift. Ever. (This is not meant to be taken as telling the devs to hurry up, so please don't take it as such, it's just a dream of sorts.)
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Acts after Act 1 do utilise timeskips. Act 1 is a day-by-day account of Hisao's first week. After that, scenes generally occur at variable distances from one another (so one scene might take place on a monday, the next might take place on thursday). This is more or less just a decision that was made on how to tell the story - rather than being constrained to a small timescale and nigh-inevitable SoL induced by a day-to-day recount of events (beyond the first week, which was obviously very event-filled given the circumstances), this allows essentially a jump to each story-relevant part of the character's lives and much greater narrative flexibility. This of course means some additional challenges we might not otherwise have had to contend with (such as making the progression of time clear to the player, making sure jumps aren't jarring, and overall pacing issues), but we've worked towards minimising them as best we can.

It should also be noted that Raita's page is only a guiding document rather than a literal bible, so the 3-month limit isn't a definite thing (some paths are completed in shorter or longer chronological times than others).
deadlyMONK44

Post by deadlyMONK44 »

so how long is the actual game length because I wouldn't really care about the skipping thing because the want this game to last forever
Hanako is the best
Rohalmen509

Post by Rohalmen509 »

Suriko wrote:... the 3-month limit isn't a definite thing (some paths are completed in shorter or longer chronological times than others).
Yay! If they just restricted all the stories to 3 months that would of kinda forced the storyline's I think. It's better this way.
I found out about KS from japanator, during Ero-week.

RinxKenji forever~ Rin shall succumb to Kenji's impressive intelligence, and Rin shall make him walk the straight path to victory.
my evidence to this. http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3044 :)

Rin > Hanako > Shizune > Lilly > Kenji > Emi
Teclo

Post by Teclo »

deadlyMONK44 wrote:so how long is the actual game length because I wouldn't really care about the skipping thing because the want this game to last forever
The playtime could be doubled or halved depending on how slow or fast a reader you are. It's probably better to think of it in terms of word count and then compare it to the word count of a book you've read (if you could find that out).

Rin > Akira > Shizune > Lilly = Emi > Hanako
Shujoxa

Post by Shujoxa »

Teclo wrote:
deadlyMONK44 wrote:so how long is the actual game length because I wouldn't really care about the skipping thing because the want this game to last forever
The playtime could be doubled or halved depending on how slow or fast a reader you are. It's probably better to think of it in terms of word count and then compare it to the word count of a book you've read (if you could find that out).
More, if you wanted to take the time to find that out.
It would be beautiful if KS was released for download on October 7. Greatest. B-day gift. Ever. (This is not meant to be taken as telling the devs to hurry up, so please don't take it as such, it's just a dream of sorts.)