The Girls and Concerts

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Totz the Plaid

The Girls and Concerts

Post by Totz the Plaid »

I did a quick search about this, and I've checked a number of pages back so I feel pretty confident that this is a new topic, but what sorts of concerts do you think each of the girls would enjoy?

I think Hanako would probably avoid concerts due to her extreme social phobias, so that leaves Rin, Emi, Lilly, Misha, and Shizune.

Yes, Shizune. Actually, she's the one I'm most interested in discussing, but I needed to preface it by talking about the other girls since I worried that the Devs might think I was making a stupid/offensive joke, when really I'm being 100% serious.

I don't know how it is around the world, but I know that in the U.S. at least, some large music festivals will feature ASL performers on the side of the stage interpreting the lyrics (and dancing) so that Deaf people will be able to enjoy the concert as well. I've seen them at Lollapalooza, and I know from friends that they're at Bonnaroo as well. I guess I I mean, I know Shizune is completely Deaf, but she'd still be able to feel the rhythm of the bass, read the lyrics and enjoy whatever lightshow the band puts on. Now, I don't know if Shizune would enjoy that experience personally, or if she'd be frustrated that she's missing out on the main part of the entertainment, but if Misha were to drag her along to something (probably some J-Pop performer, or Lady Gaga on a world tour or something like that), I think she'd probably have plenty of stuff to occupy her attention at least.

I already covered Misha in there, so now onto Rin. This is a hard one to suss out. On one hand, she seems pretty spacey, so I'm tempted to think she might find the appeal in a jam band like Phish or one of Les Claypool's side projects, but then again, she might like a free-form jazz performance, or if someone like Merzbow gives concerts, that might be her thing.

Emi is another tough one. I'm tempted to say something girlish and poppy (perhaps J-Pop or Lady Gaga like I guessed with Misha) since I doubt she'd refrain from dancing despite her prosthetics. Then again, it might be something more electronic but still danceable like Pet Shop Boys or Daft Punk or something. I dunno. I just figure Emi would want to dance.

Lilly's last here, and I think I'm going to be obvious and suggest that she'd be into orchestral performances. She used to go to a formal private school after all, but then again she might rebel against that. I don't think she'd go for metal since it would put too much strain on her ears and she needs those, but punk perhaps? I still lean toward the orchestras and string quartets for her, but I thought I'd look at both sides of it.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who
Totz the Plaid

Re: The Girls and Concerts

Post by Totz the Plaid »

And just so absolutely nobody gets the wrong idea regarding my mention of Shizune in this discussion, I think a relevant link is in order: http://www.lotusign.com/
LOTUSign FAQ wrote:Who is the client?
The venue or hosting agency is the client that is responsible for providing accessibility under the Americans With Disabilities Act and arranges interpreting services.

Our clients on site are the Hearing and Deaf participants for whom we provide communication access.

Music Example: The Emory Arena (venue) hires Lotusign, makes arrangement for entry and pays for the service and may work with Catwalk Productions (producer of the event) for payment reimbursement. The Aurelius (The Artist) and the deaf patrons attending (The Deaf Audience) are both our on site clients.

Conference Example: The Southfork Convention Center (venue) is contracted by The Bridge Builders of America Conference (The Customer.) The Bridge Builders of America Conference hires Lotusign, makes arrangement for entry and pays for the service. The presenters and conference attendees (The Deaf Audience) are both our on site clients.

What is Performance Interpreting? How is it different from regular interpreting?Performance & Live Music Interpreting makes music visible. It shows the rhythm, beat, and feel of the music with body movements and artistic equality. It accurately provides the deaf and hard of hearing audience with the emotional and musical affect to strike the same emotional chord intended for the hearing audience by the artist.

LotuSIGN is set apart from other agencies for it's ability to provide Performance and Live Music Interpreting in a variety of settings. Popular with venues and general hearing audiences because they recognize the artistic trueness of our visual performance representing what music sounds like, but their long term success is due to our overwhelming accuracy to the meaning and conceptual interpreting recognized by the deaf audience. LotuSIGN, through years of interpreting in these settings, has developed a methodological approach of performance interpreting for the best possible visual representation of an artist's work.

What is the difference between ASL Interpreting and Transliterating? What other kinds of Interpreting might be requested?

ASL Interpreting
American Sign Language (ASL) has it's own grammar is visual and spatial and doesn’t follow English word order. It is the most commonly used language by people who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing in the United States.

Transliterating
A mode of interpreting used for some deaf and hard of hearing who use English grammar visually in a more verbatim method.

Academic ASL
Specialized Interpreting using ASL with academic terminology specially communicated.

Oral Interpreting
A method that is effective for those who do not use sign language but need access to speech-reading in certain environments.

Oral with Sign Support
A combination of signs and oral interpreting.

Do you work internationally?
Lotusign only provides services outside of the United States for users of American Sign Language, generally ex-pats.

Because American Sign Language (ASL) is not internationally used, obtaining services for other countries may be completed by referral.
They only work in the U.S. so I have no idea if there are similar organizations overseas, so if there's no Japanese equivalent, I guess Shizune wouldn't have that were Misha to drag her along to a concert and we can discount my points regarding that. That said, I still wonder if our favorite Student Council President would enjoy feeling the rhythm in her chest and watching the performance anyway. Probably not. At least, not unless Misha were talking to her/interpreting the lyrics the whole time.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Can't be arsed to find it right now, but word of god is that Emi is into punk. So, there's that.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

PasterOfMuppets

Post by PasterOfMuppets »

Shizune would probably go to PearlJam, since the band has their own sign language interpreter on stage :P < these guys were the first to adopt one after seeing the same situation of a girl signing the concert to her friend

Rin would probably go to some guitar virtuoso show such as Steve vai, satriani, or gilbert, and many others due to her sbstract nature.
Lilly... maybe some bright classic-ish band iunno lol
Hanako probably listens to METAL! \m/ but doesn't go to concerts.
Misha'd go to some K-pop or something along the lines of that.
Emi.... Justin bieber....
Good joke... Everybody laugh... Roll on snare drum... Curtains...

Hanako = Shizune = Lilly = Rin > Kenji > Placeholder > Emi
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

PasterOfMuppets wrote:Emi.... Justin bieber....
Good lord, man! What kind of lowlife scum are you taking us for? :shock:
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Darlat

Post by Darlat »

Silentcook wrote:
The fapping to cripples and writing terrible stories about them kind?
I'm a rabbit.

I'm fluffy and i get violated by humans a lot : (.
Verett

Post by Verett »

Silentcook wrote:
Besides that, doesn't Katawa Shoujo take place in 2007? Before anyone cared about Bieber?
DMGnome

Post by DMGnome »

There was something on NPR a while back about ASL interpreters for concerts. Apparently it's actually really hard to interpret for a concert, since lyrics contain so many metaphors and allegories and references in such a short time. That's not even counting how hard it is for hearing people to understand the lyrics some of the time. One of the people interviewed mentioned that she would never, ever interpret for a REM concert again.

And one of the people they interviewed also mentioned that it's often hard to find a proper translation. The example given was someone preparing for a Lady Gaga concert, and having to ask for advice on how to translate the line "Let's have some fun, this beat is sick/I wanna take a ride on your disco stick" because the literal translation of disco stick in ASL is "John Travolta branch," and it's hard to find a translation that captures the intent of the line without mangling the actual phrase.
Fans destroy things by loving them too much. This is one of the fundamental laws of the universe.
GMKGoat

Post by GMKGoat »

I like to imagine Rin is a metalhead. Though this presents the obvious problem of being unable to throw the horns.
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

PasterOfMuppets wrote:Shizune would probably go to PearlJam, since the band has their own sign language interpreter on stage :P < these guys were the first to adopt one after seeing the same situation of a girl signing the concert to her friend
Hm. That's a possibility, but is their stage show something that would be entertaining to watch? I think that'd be a big part of deciding whether she'd go to a concert or not.
Csihar wrote:Can't be arsed to find it right now, but word of god is that Emi is into punk. So, there's that.
Interesting. Never would've taken her for a punk rocker, but I can kinda picture it now that you've mentioned that. Did they say what sort of punk? Proto-punk (Stooges, MC5, etc.)? Classic punk (the Damned, the Clash, the Ramones, etc.)? Hardcore (Danzig-era Misfits, etc.)? Pop-punk (Green Day, etc.)? Ska-punk (Streetlight Manifesto, etc.)? And I guess the biggest question is would she mosh? I know that mosh pits are more common at hardcore/metal shows but I've seen it happen at a number of regular punk gigs in my area. I mean, she has no problem knocking Hisao over and still getting up easily, but he was distracted and she was going full-tilt. I wonder if a regular mosh pit wouldn't be too much for her...
GMKGoat wrote:I like to imagine Rin is a metalhead. Though this presents the obvious problem of being unable to throw the horns.
I've seen people do it with their feet before, and they didn't even have to rely on foot dexterity for everyday life like Rin does. And come to think of it, doesn't Def Leppard have a one-armed drummer who uses his feet, or at least one of them?
PasterOfMuppets

Totz the Plaid wrote:Hm. That's a possibility, but is their stage show something that would be entertaining to watch? I think that'd be a big part of deciding whether she'd go to a concert or not.
Pearl Jam is amazing live.
End of story :D
she can always go to GWAR if she wants entertainment

Saraquill

Post by Saraquill »

You know, this thread made me realize: Shizune would be a perfect candidate to be a rock musician. She's very intense, orderly and competitive enough to make sure she'd do a damn good job when she plays, and does not have to worry about losing her hearing.

I also believe she would have a soft spot for Beethoven.
PasterOfMuppets

Saraquill wrote:You know, this thread made me realize: Shizune would be a perfect candidate to be a rock musician. She's very intense, orderly and competitive enough to make sure she'd do a damn good job when she plays, and does not have to worry about losing her hearing.

I also believe she would have a soft spot for Beethoven.

I agree on part with Beethoven, but i think a rock musician is the opposite of intense, orderly, and competitive. (except for axl rose. Wahahahahaha~!)
even though their music is Intense, orderly, and competitive.

though this would make her a good bassist.
the intense side of her mixing with her cute side would make the perfect bassist

Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

PasterOfMuppets wrote:
Totz the Plaid wrote:Hm. That's a possibility, but is their stage show something that would be entertaining to watch? I think that'd be a big part of deciding whether she'd go to a concert or not.
Pearl Jam is amazing live.
End of story :D
she can always go to GWAR if she wants entertainment
I know Pearl Jam are amazing performers, but Shizune is 100% deaf, remember? If there's not enough excitement for her to watch onstage (like Pink Floyd had video screens, Lady Gaga & Alice Cooper have complex theatrical shows (though very different kinds from each other), lots of metal bands have complex laser light shows, Parliament/Funkadelic had the Mothership land onstage, Michael Jackson had his dancing, Queen had Freddie Mercury being the consumate showman, Motown acts had their routines, etc.), then it doesn't matter how good their performances are, it's just people standing there playing guitar. I've never seen Pearl Jam live, though I've heard recordings, so I can't say whether it'd be entertaining to watch basically muted by her disability.
PasterOfMuppets

How about DaftPunk?
apparently there's so much "awesome" in their shows you can basically feel the "awesome" vibing from the resonance of pure "awesome"
sadly never been to daftpunk D;
french robots 8)

And that's the fine line that separates a simple musician from an entertainer. Most the boys (and girls) that are famous are entertainers, they get personal with the crowd basically. From every headbang to circlespinning, powersliding, moonwalking, dancing, and playing with your tongue or something. Keeps the people with them, as well as with the lights. There are 100% deaf people that go to concerts all the time, and they say they can "feel" the music through the actions, the lights, etc.

ehhhhhh but i guess you're right it depends on the show as well.
Iunno she just seems like the "free yet sophisticated" light-rock person iunno lol

excuse my rambling...