Lilly's Blindness

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Totz the Plaid

Re: Lilly's Blindness

Post by Totz the Plaid »

Guest wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:Who cares? Personally, I don't think not having the exact cause of Lilly's blindness (be it a birth defect or anything else) detracts from the game or story in any way. "Blind since birth" is enough for me.
I think it makes a difference in the believability of the writing. Someone who's NEVER seen anything has a very different concept of the world, whereas someone who saw for the first few years of their life will continue to reason to some degree in terms of images, and recognise certain ideas by appearance. Trying to explain a sunset or rainbow for example.
You don't think the Devs would've kept that in mind? Oh, ye of little faith...
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who

Post by Guest »

Ah, I do, it's just really really hard :)

Trying to write autistics is similar difficult since they can have such a vastly different frame of reference.
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

I gotta wonder if she can see in shades of grey (Able to vaguely differentiate shapes, but not form, velocity or colour) or is just straight blackity-black.

Remember accidentally making a big faux-pas with a fully blind girl. She was fine until I started talking about the colour of the school field ('Always a lovely green after a good rain').

I really don't like making girls cry, and that was no exception.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

ContinualNaba wrote:I gotta wonder if she can see in shades of grey (Able to vaguely differentiate shapes, but not form, velocity or colour) or is just straight blackity-black.
I've gotta assume that it's just pitch blackness since she didn't notice the fact that the sun was setting during the first tea room scene. If she were able to sense light like you suggest, then she would've picked up on it.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do." - The Doctor, Doctor Who
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Lilly's completely, 100% blind from birth due to a genetic defect. She's never had any form of sight.
Dollywitch

Post by Dollywitch »

Totz the Plaid wrote:
ContinualNaba wrote:I gotta wonder if she can see in shades of grey (Able to vaguely differentiate shapes, but not form, velocity or colour) or is just straight blackity-black.
I've gotta assume that it's just pitch blackness since she didn't notice the fact that the sun was setting during the first tea room scene. If she were able to sense light like you suggest, then she would've picked up on it.
Yeah, a lot of blind people are still light sensitive, and can tell what time of day it is to an extent, or possibly if a large object is moving in front of them.

To be honest I think I'd find it hard to relate to someone who's been blind all their lives. There's so much I couldn't talk about, from anime and manga, to the beauty of nature. It's very sad. That said I'd find it hard to relate to a deaf person too since music is so important to me. The more "physical" disabilities like with Emi and Rin look more shocking but aren't really a big deal in terms of that, they can adapt.
Rocket Royal

Post by Rocket Royal »

Regarding the creepy, I would say the idea of the word, the connotation, is very negative. Saying you are creeped out is a slight but singificant difference. Our minds instantly utilize shape recognition, so much that 0_0 appears to resemble a face to some degree even though it is very far from reality. As human beings we identify face with personhood. The removal of an eye to us would register differently than a missing limb, as we'd recognize their outline faintly. An altered sillhouette wouldn't cause you to react as much for most people.

Calling IT creepy rather than YOU feeling creeped puts the blame on the different person and portrays them negatively. If we can tolerate a person's kneejerk reaction, we could accept the feeling. Remember there's nothing wrong with them, except their eye.
Totz the Plaid

Post by Totz the Plaid »

Rocket Royal wrote:Calling IT creepy rather than YOU feeling creeped puts the blame on the different person and portrays them negatively. If we can tolerate a person's kneejerk reaction, we could accept the feeling. Remember there's nothing wrong with them, except their eye.
Exactly. I personally disagree with the creepiness aspect of that as a whole (though I do admit that I find it gross, mostly for the fact that it's an empty eye socket, all sorts of nerves and stuff right in there mostly unobscured and I've got a weak stomach for that sort of thing), but there's a BIG difference between saying "that's creepy" and saying "I find that creepy"/"that creeps me out".
Dollywitch wrote:To be honest I think I'd find it hard to relate to someone who's been blind all their lives. There's so much I couldn't talk about, from anime and manga, to the beauty of nature. It's very sad. That said I'd find it hard to relate to a deaf person too since music is so important to me. The more "physical" disabilities like with Emi and Rin look more shocking but aren't really a big deal in terms of that, they can adapt.
Agreed on both aspects. I mean, I'd adjust and get along fine with them, but I'm sure it'd be hard at times to manage conversation since sometimes I just need to talk about something that's purely visual or purely auditory.

Post by Guest »

I always thought Hanako should have been the one given the glass eye and not Lilly. I mean getting half your face burned off is bound to cause more problems than a few welts and skin pigmentation issues, besides she keeps that half of her face covered by hair anyway.
scott1and

Post by scott1and »

Guest wrote:I always thought Hanako should have been the one given the glass eye and not Lilly. I mean getting half your face burned off is bound to cause more problems than a few welts and skin pigmentation issues, besides she keeps that half of her face covered by hair anyway.

That may be, but if you look at the 100% CG at the end of the game you can in fact see Hanako's right eye, and word of God says its real.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Guest wrote:I always thought Hanako should have been the one given the glass eye and not Lilly. I mean getting half your face burned off is bound to cause more problems than a few welts and skin pigmentation issues, besides she keeps that half of her face covered by hair anyway.
I completely agree. The level of damage to her face should have been severe enough to burn her eye. Having it replaced with a glass eye that looks exactly like her undamaged eye would have worked. But yeah, they both work fine.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Rocket Royal

Post by Rocket Royal »

Did you see the Dark Knight? Her eye could look like Harvey Dent, aka Twoface.
Wreckusu

Post by Wreckusu »

G3n0c1de wrote:
I completely agree. The level of damage to her face should have been severe enough to burn her eye. Having it replaced with a glass eye that looks exactly like her undamaged eye would have worked. But yeah, they both work fine.
It's hard to tell how severe the burn damage is to that part of her face (after all there's very little released official art that shows her right eye), for all we know the burns could be more extensive to her cheek than the upper part of her face. It's also entirely possible that her eyelid protected her eye from any permanent damage.

Moving on to Lillys eyes I like the fogginess as a stylistic choice but I'm glad it was toned down when Raide took over as her artist. The previous version just made her eyes look glassy and eerily empty (like the lights are on but no one's home sort of look).