Lilly's Blindness

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Deimos

Re: Lilly's Blindness

Post by Deimos »

MrKnives wrote:
CindehQ wrote:Plus I think it'd be interesting for Harao to see Lily take her eyes out occasionally.
Dude, that's not interesting, that's creepy.
If Lilly would possess such eyes instead of her natural ones, their removal would be comparable to Emi taking off her legs or a senior citizen who sleeps without his artificial teeth in his mouth. I suppose it has some shock-value but I think to expose in what way your body has been tarnished from birth onwards and to expose the vulnerability that comes with such a "deficiency" is an aspect of oneself that is hard to hide and you probably need to get used to similar occurrences in a relationship if you want to build up trust between the involved parties.

So, if she had artificial eyes, removing them in front of Hisao would be certainly be interesting because depending on his reaction we could gauge several things (the progression of his feelings for her - whether romantic or that of platonic friendship, his own progress as a disabled person himself and his integration into Yamaku, his empathy towards others in general and many others facets that probably escape me at the moment).
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
Ballsofsteel

Post by Ballsofsteel »

Deimos wrote:
MrKnives wrote:
CindehQ wrote:Plus I think it'd be interesting for Harao to see Lily take her eyes out occasionally.
Dude, that's not interesting, that's creepy.
If Lilly would possess such eyes instead of her natural ones, their removal would be comparable to Emi taking off her legs or a senior citizen who sleeps without his artificial teeth in his mouth. I suppose it has some shock-value but I think to expose in what way your body has been tarnished from birth onwards and to expose the vulnerability that comes with such a "deficiency" is an aspect of oneself that is hard to hide and you probably need to get used to similar occurrences in a relationship if you want to build up trust between the involved parties.
No, I really don't think you can draw a comparison between false eyes and dentures or prosthetics. Someone without eyes... There's major creepyness factor there. Quite a big gap between seeing Someone's legs stumps and STARING INTO EMPTY EYE SOCKETS!
Bara

Post by Bara »

Ballsofsteel wrote:No, I really don't think you can draw a comparison between false eyes and dentures or prosthetics. Someone without eyes... There's major creepyness factor there. Quite a big gap between seeing Someone's legs stumps and STARING INTO EMPTY EYE SOCKETS!
After a while most people become blase about it. Familiarity reduces it from something very unusual to, "that is just the way they are".

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
ozg82889

Post by ozg82889 »

no one may have thought of this but if lilly were to use prosthetic eyes and she took them out during the story someone somewhere will draw hisao doing stuff to her eye sockets. im sure no one wants that.

yes i made an account just to type this.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

ozg82889 wrote:no one may have thought of this but if lilly were to use prosthetic eyes and she took them out during the story someone somewhere will draw hisao doing stuff to her eye sockets. im sure no one wants that.

I can't unsee that....

But Lilly can.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

ozg82889 wrote:no one may have thought of this but if lilly were to use prosthetic eyes and she took them out during the story someone somewhere will draw hisao doing stuff to her eye sockets. im sure no one wants that.
If someone proposes an eroge which features disabled heroines, then there is the distinct possibility that someone is really making a game out of that idea. Although I am sure no one wants that ..., right? :roll:

Seriously, just because someone's, admittedly, horrible imagination, or even fetish in that case, are not totally excluded by such a portrayal does not mean it is wrong per se. If you want a similar example of an awful concept, I could cite a musical number using the film Schindler's List which is executed in a very touching and perhaps even appropriate manner.

G3n0c1de wrote: I can't unsee that....

But Lilly can.
Now that I think about it, I get a vague idea what the euphemism of "Brain Bleach" actually stands for and how it's administered directly into the skull. :twisted:
Ahh, Morticia? I would die for her. I would kill for her. Either way, what bliss.
Minister of Gloom

Post by Minister of Gloom »

I feel bad saying that, but I think if I ever saw someone remove their own eyes like that in real life, I would get a heart attack and die.
And I don't even have arrhythmia. :?
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Yeah, it's the shock value of seeing the eyes removed for the first time. Especially if it's without warning. If that happened then Hisao might feel like he's dreaming/on acid/in a bizzaro horror movie. There's a certain feeling of disbelief when something you knew to be real just seconds ago just... isn't. That said, if he were to see it enough times then he would get used to it... to a degree. If he were traumatized enough the first time, he may never get fully comfortable seeing it.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
scott1and

Post by scott1and »

G3n0c1de wrote:Yeah, it's the shock value of seeing the eyes removed for the first time. Especially if it's without warning. If that happened then Hisao might feel like he's dreaming/on acid/in a bizzaro horror movie. There's a certain feeling of disbelief when something you knew to be real just seconds ago just... isn't. That said, if he were to see it enough times then he would get used to it... to a degree. If he were traumatized enough the first time, he may never get fully comfortable seeing it.
'cause this is totally gonna happen isn't it? :lol: ...actually to a certain degree I would like to see how this would play out, I can't be arsed making the appropriate fanfiction though...
CindehQ

Post by CindehQ »

The replies to this thread were more amusing then I predicted. XD (As well as nightmarish.)

Anyways, I wasn't aware blurry eyes were an actual sign of blindness, so nice to know. Anyways, young children (like 2 or 3) who get glass eyes sometimes take their eyes out and teethe on them. Enjoy that mental image.
I call my avatar Emiyagi.
Like Emi.
If Emi were cool.
Shujoxa

Post by Shujoxa »

It would be beautiful if KS was released for download on October 7. Greatest. B-day gift. Ever. (This is not meant to be taken as telling the devs to hurry up, so please don't take it as such, it's just a dream of sorts.)
traitor

Post by traitor »

I thought the blurry eyes were just the anime way of showing that Lilly isn't staring straight at you, so unlike the other girls you can't see 6 different light sources gleaming out of her pupil.
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

I was actually wondering why Lilly's sprites always seem to lock on in the game. The blind people I've conversed with never seem to be able to pinpoint where the face exactly is, even at the distance.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

traitor wrote:I thought the blurry eyes were just the anime way of showing that Lilly isn't staring straight at you, so unlike the other girls you can't see 6 different light sources gleaming out of her pupil.
A good theory, but on the other sprites in the game where the character isn't looking directly at the screen, there are still those light source dots. It makes sense since the eyes are spherical(ish), so the light sources shouldn't change when the eyes looking elsewhere.

Post by Guest »

Guest Poster wrote:Who cares? Personally, I don't think not having the exact cause of Lilly's blindness (be it a birth defect or anything else) detracts from the game or story in any way. "Blind since birth" is enough for me.
I think it makes a difference in the believability of the writing. Someone who's NEVER seen anything has a very different concept of the world, whereas someone who saw for the first few years of their life will continue to reason to some degree in terms of images, and recognise certain ideas by appearance. Trying to explain a sunset or rainbow for example.