Damn You Shizune

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Fhegy

Re: Damn You Shizune

Post by Fhegy »

When I first played Katawa Shoujo I had a list of who I would go after first, Hanako -> Rin -> Misha -> Emi -> Lily -> Shizune.
And when I went for Misha and got stuck with Shinzune, I had mixed fellings... =I
I like toast!
Polydunami

Post by Polydunami »

I must confess; I actually liked Shizune the best from the get go. I really like her competitive personality.

I did each path in the three following pairs from first to last: Kenji/Rin, Lilly/Hanako and Emi/Shizune. I was going for 100% and found those pairs to be the most efficient for me. The first two had similar paths and the last one had different scenes to unlock depending on whether you went for Shizune and Emi at the same time or not.

My current favorite to least favorite is as follows: Shizune > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Emi. I still like Rin and Emi, don't get me wrong.

...I just prefer Shizune.
I like being funny. Now if only I had the talent for it...

Current opinion of the five main girls:

Shizune > Lilly > Hanako > Rin > Emi
f_scarlet

Post by f_scarlet »

Polydunami wrote:I must confess; I actually liked Shizune the best from the get go. I really like her competitive personality.

I did each path in the three following pairs from first to last: Kenji/Rin, Lilly/Hanako and Emi/Shizune. I was going for 100% and found those pairs to be the most efficient for me. The first two had similar paths and the last one had different scenes to unlock depending on whether you went for Shizune and Emi at the same time or not.

My current favorite to least favorite is as follows: Shizune > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Emi. I still like Rin and Emi, don't get me wrong.

...I just prefer Shizune.
that is exactly the way i would put it :3
ReinerSkye

Post by ReinerSkye »

Emi is the token loli minus the loli. I hope for an ending in which I can pull a Kenji and knock her off the roof.

Edit: I reserve my right to be completely inconsistent and as such I have replayed Emi's route and changed my mind. I guess whether I find Emi cute or annoying depends on my mood when I'm reading.
Hanako = Rin > Lily > Shizune > Kenji > Emi > Misha
Jmacaroo

Post by Jmacaroo »

I don't really understand everyone's obsession with Hanako.

1. You barely get to spend any time conversing with her. By the end of her path all you really know is she's shy, and enjoys chess and reading.

2. She has almost no personality at this point

3. She also seems likely to have the most predictable plotline.

Anyways, from favorite to least

Shizune - I loved Shizune from the beginning, although I was almost turned off by the argument she had with Lilly, as I also really liked Lilly. However, Shizune is just so goddamned fun, sly, charming and strong, which altogether is very attractive. She is also the character that seems like she has the most under the surface, partially because she is only to speak to another. Even if you dislike her personality it's hard to deny that she isn't intriguing. The build up of Hisao's and Shizune's relationship (so far) also seems to be the most natural, starting with a lot of flirting, and by the end changing to something at least a bit more profound on Hisao's part certainly. I didn't feel that development with any of the other characters, although it never felt like you got beyond the getting to know you stage the person with the others.

Lilly - So far Lilly is definitely the second most intriguing. She is by far the most mature, and is well written enough to seem like a real person so far. The interactions between her and the other characters hits the right note everytime, whether its mothering Hanako, being uncomfortable around Rin, or despite her great patience being able to hold her own against Shizune in their war of words. Unfortunately romantically there isn't much there yet. I also found her character to be a lot more generic than Shizune's, and her lack of any flaws makes for a very one sided character.

Emi - Emi is so gosh dang cute. And that's really all her character is lol. I thought that her forcing Hisao to be healthy was kind of interesting in it's ramifications. Will Hisao have the longest life when paired with her? I can certainly see his life being shortened by being pared with Shizune, lol. I also found the fact that she made all those lists for Hisao almost creepy. Like she wanted him to be exercise buddies a little TOO much!

Hanako - I'm slightly intrigued by Hanako, and her ending was quite sweet. There's really not much else there, and seeing as how I don't find shyness instantly attractive she doesn't do much for me.

Rin - Rin was a great, super quirky character, I loved all the dialog where rin was concerned. Unfortunately it was nearly impossible to see her romantically at all, even when she did fall asleep on your shoulder. I also found her ending to be the most boring ending by farrrrrr.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

Jmacaroo wrote:I don't really understand everyone's obsession with Hanako.
If that's the case, you probably have yet to be knighted by the White King and accepted into his army.
Now that I think about it, this seems like a great opportunity for the devs to slip something in about us white knights, probably during a chess match with Hana-banana.

Anyway, I digress; I'd contend that Shizune's following is a bit unwarranted, if anything. Unless you actually get her ending, the only part of her you see is the part that gets in a conflict with every single other romance-able girl in the game. There's the obvious Shizune vs. Lilly thing, she also calls out Hanako on skipping class when Misha and her do the same damn thing, she gets mad at Rin for sleeping on a table, and Emi for running in the halls. Obviously some were more justified than others, but even the devs have acknowledged her on more than one occasion as the closest thing Act 1 has to an antagonist.

http://katawashoujo.blogspot.com/2010/04/fanatics.html
http://katawashoujo.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... _7211.html
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Brogurt wrote:I'd contend that Shizune's following is a bit unwarranted, if anything. Unless you actually get her ending, the only part of her you see is the part that gets in a conflict with every single other romance-able girl in the game.
That might be what you remember of her path, but she's not combative in every scene she's in. In scenes where it's just you, Shizune, and Misha, Shizune is playful, even a little flirtatious. She's competitive with you, and that makes her fun. Most of the buildup and attraction comes from the other scenes in her path, the ending is just the final nail in the coffin, so to speak.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Jmacaroo

Post by Jmacaroo »

^ What Genocide said. The ending is not the only part you get to see the good side of Shizune. The best part of Shizune's path is figuring out what she is thinking, what bit of fun she is about to drag you into next. Sure she's combative where unnecessary sometimes, but it's certainly never unjustified.
Worthington

Post by Worthington »

Sometimes it IS rather unjustified. Not letting Rin sleep on a table? What's the deal with that? This is a school practically built around special exceptions and Rin is one exceptionable person.
Plus, tables are comfy to sleep on.
Got my feet in the air and my head on the ground.

Kenji=Rin>Akira>Hideaki>Hachisame>Lilly>Takashi>Miki>Emi>Nurse>Misha>Mutou>Shizune>Yuuko>Nomiya>Hanako

Worthington's Wondrous Writeshop
Magnesium Ninja Studios
Normal Deviant

Post by Normal Deviant »

Jmacaroo wrote: Sure she's combative where unnecessary sometimes, but it's certainly never unjustified.
I... wait, what?

So she's... unnecessarily justified?
Break a leg.
Jmacaroo

Post by Jmacaroo »

Normal Deviant wrote: I... wait, what?

So she's... unnecessarily justified?
No she's not unnecessarily justified, that makes no sense, and that's not what I said. Something can be both unnecessary yet justified. What Rin was doing in sleeping on the table was against school rules (I think) or at least ordinary ruled of politeness, so Shizune was justified in telling her off. However for something so trivial it was probably unnecessary to do so. Get it?
Yukimi

Post by Yukimi »

Jmacaroo wrote:I don't really understand everyone's obsession with Hanako.

1. You barely get to spend any time conversing with her. By the end of her path all you really know is she's shy, and enjoys chess and reading.

2. She has almost no personality at this point

3. She also seems likely to have the most predictable plotline.

Anyways, from favorite to least

Shizune - I loved Shizune from the beginning, although I was almost turned off by the argument she had with Lilly, as I also really liked Lilly. However, Shizune is just so goddamned fun, sly, charming and strong, which altogether is very attractive. She is also the character that seems like she has the most under the surface, partially because she is only to speak to another. Even if you dislike her personality it's hard to deny that she isn't intriguing. The build up of Hisao's and Shizune's relationship (so far) also seems to be the most natural, starting with a lot of flirting, and by the end changing to something at least a bit more profound on Hisao's part certainly. I didn't feel that development with any of the other characters, although it never felt like you got beyond the getting to know you stage the person with the others.

Lilly - So far Lilly is definitely the second most intriguing. She is by far the most mature, and is well written enough to seem like a real person so far. The interactions between her and the other characters hits the right note everytime, whether its mothering Hanako, being uncomfortable around Rin, or despite her great patience being able to hold her own against Shizune in their war of words. Unfortunately romantically there isn't much there yet. I also found her character to be a lot more generic than Shizune's, and her lack of any flaws makes for a very one sided character.

Ei - Emi is so gosh dang cute. And that's really all her character is lol. I thought that her forcing Hisao to be healthy was kind of interesting in it's ramifications. Will Hisao have the longest life when paired with her? I can certainly see his life being shortened by being pared with Shizune, lol. I also found the fact that she made all those lists for Hisao almost creepy. Like she wanted him to be exercise buddies a little TOO much!

Hanako - I'm slightly intrigued by Hanako, and her ending was quite sweet. There's really not much else there, and seeing as how I don't find shyness instantly attractive she doesn't do much for me.

Rin - Rin was a great, super quirky character, I loved all the dialog where rin was concerned. Unfortunately it was nearly impossible to see her romantically at all, even when she did fall asleep on your shoulder. I also found her ending to be the most boring ending by farrrrrr.

I. mostly, agree with you on everything and its' a pity because, apart from Shizune, I had high hopes on Rin since I'm pretty quircky too IRL but it was pretty disspointing when I got to read her path.
Shizune=Akira > Lilly > Emi > Hanako > Rin (but all of them have a place in my heart and some other more interesting locations XP).

Post by Guest »

Hmm when I played Rin's path I felt that Hisao made a connection with her only several times, not sure if it's just the way it's meant to be; Rin coming out of her shell only time to time. I also got the feeling that she was acting like hmm... Like quirkyness was a intrinsic value. Not sure if that's meant to be or if the writer has a hard time expressing her. Nevertheless it was rewarding to get her out of her shell and fun to spend time with, also suprisingly cute to be leaned against.

I've kinda always despised that type of people who eagerly get into council-thingies, especially if the council or whatever does not have any real power (in my mind this includes most of the school-councils). I guess I see that as reasserting the members ego. This can be easily lead to huge dislike against Shizune, who I've grown to look down on.
I don't know if people like her exist in real life, but to me Shizune and Misha both act really defiantly towards ones peace. I actually felt many times during her path that they pushed and crossed they boundaries of the socially acceptable behavior by arguing with a semistranger about things that should be left for oneself to decide. Generally they lacked the politeness and appreciation towards ones social boundaries. This together with scenes where she rages to Rin and Emi, the displays her affection to power and the abuse of council status (for example the teashop scenario) made the whole playthrough kind of a disgusting experience.
Misha seems to be not conscious about her pushing and aggressive social style whilst Shizune seems to use aggressive style when it pleases her. That in my mind remeeds Misha, since it's her nature. Shizune though acts for her own gain which I find repulsive.

The list goes on and on and besides there's no actual point in this rambling. Just wanted to ease my heart about dis, maybe you can count +1 for the Rin-Brigade. :)
Limbless

Post by Limbless »

I've never liked Shizune, but I haven't done her route so... that's that. She comes off as abusive and overly loving of what meager power she can get. Would put out if she felt she could get something from it.

Misha is love. And would put out on a dime to other girls.

Rin is weird. But okay with putting out.

Emi is annoying. But eager to put out.

Hanako is shy. Too shy to put out.

Lily is classy. Too classy to put out.

I like Lilly.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Guest wrote:Generally they lacked the politeness and appreciation towards ones social boundaries.
It might be nice to think about, but not everyone has to be polite. Shizune is not one to beat around the bush, so she won't be polite unless it's either really needed, or you've earned it in her eyes. She'll be coarse, direct, and cold. While not gentle, it's pragmatic, not rude. Like it or not, her position in the council does give her some authority, including the ability to uphold the rules held by the institution she represents.
Guest wrote:abuse of council status
They're not exactly embezzling money from the school or fixing their grades... It's still on them to keep up with their studies.

You don't like her, that's fine. It's your choice.
Guest wrote:Misha seems to be not conscious about her pushing and aggressive social style whilst Shizune seems to use aggressive style when it pleases her.
Gotta disagree with you on this one. Misha is Shizune's closest friend. If anything, she's the one who understands Shizune best. She's the one who knows the Shizune under her competitive, commanding surface. And Shizune is competitive and aggressive by nature. I see nothing wrong with this.
Limbless wrote:I've never liked Shizune, but I haven't done her route so... that's that. She comes off as abusive and overly loving of what meager power she can get.
I recommend her path. Up to this point you've only seen one side of Shizune. There's more to her than that.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.