Yamaku seems like a nice school.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Gundam_M3ister

Yamaku seems like a nice school.

Post by Gundam_M3ister »

Recently I've been thinking of how nice it would be to go to Yamaku if it actually existed. (Which I probably would be accepted, considering I am a type one diabetic. XD)
I've always liked the idea of a boarding school. However, before I started playing KS, when I read "school for disabled children" I immediately thought of...retarded people. (Omg please don't be offended. Lmfao.)
I've always had this like... dislike of people with mental disabilities like down syndrome or whatever. Like... they kind of scare me. I'm not trying to be offensive or mean, I'm just being honest. I also think this is why Hisao may have been apprehensive about going to Yamaku, you know?
Does anyone else feel this way?
Morph

Re: Yamaku seems like a nice school.

Post by Morph »

I never had to interact with disabled so I can't say what I feel when I have to.
But I think the scary feeling you described could be caused by not knowing how to treat them. And I think I might have this feeling, too.
Darlat

Post by Darlat »

What about people with aspergers?
I'm a rabbit.

I'm fluffy and i get violated by humans a lot : (.
Sajomir

Post by Sajomir »

I'll be honest, dealing with mental/learning disabilities is something that I'm a little scared of, too. My grandmother recently moved in with my family, and even just her memory problems (they're pretty bad) make it hard for me to interact with her. (to be honest, I'm apprehensive dealing with people different than me in general)

I know it's not "good" that I feel this way, but I am gradually learning to get used to my grandmother. I'm also learning to do it for other people since my work has me dealing with people every day. I think the willingness to step outside your comfort zone and willingness to "get used to it" is more important than instantly accepting everyone you meet.

So in a way, I think I can relate to you. I'll admit I didn't think of mental disabilities when I heard about KS/Yamaku, but I understand where you're coming from.
Animator for the Katawa Shoujo Fighting Game
We are looking for additional animators and spriters! Please PM me :D
Gundam_M3ister

Post by Gundam_M3ister »

Darlat wrote:What about people with aspergers?
Oh, that doesn't bother me.
I'm talking about the severely mental handicapped. Like... will probably attempt to hug me so hard that an eyeball will fall out. I couldn't think of a better example... D:
Folves

Post by Folves »

a

Last edited by Folves on Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Napalm

Post by Napalm »

It's normal to be scared of people with mental disabilities, from the way I see it, because you aren't accoustumed to treating with them, and people are afraid to fuck up when doing so. I had a friend who had a brother with Down's Syndrome. I admit that at first it made me very uncomfortable being arround him (actually, the first time I saw him I kinda ran away from him. Hey, I was a kid...). But with time you get to know them, understand their behaviour a littlebit better and (some of) the uneasiness goes away. It all comes down to being patient with them and not treating them like shit because of their condition. Other than that, you aren't expeceted to be an expert on the subject, so doing something wrong is not a matter of worry.
Nyo ho ho~
Sid Vicious

Post by Sid Vicious »

Its cool that your being honest as long as no retarted people are reading this you might get baned if a lot of people get mad at you
I'll die before I'm 25, and when I do I'll have lived the way I wanted to-RIP Sid Vicious

Hanako > Rin > Lily > Emi > Shizune
Verett

Post by Verett »

Gundam_M3ister wrote:I've always had this like... dislike of people with mental disabilities like down syndrome or whatever. Like... they kind of scare me.
Would you be scared if I said I have one? It's cool though, no offence taken. It's kind of understandable.
Sid Vicious wrote:Its cool that your being honest as long as no retarted people are reading this
I find it utterly humorous you misspelled retarded.
Darlat

Post by Darlat »

Verett wrote:
Gundam_M3ister wrote:I've always had this like... dislike of people with mental disabilities like down syndrome or whatever. Like... they kind of scare me.
Would you be scared if I said I have one? It's cool though, no offence taken. It's kind of understandable.
I've gotten one too, two infact, but yeah, I can understand too.
Verett wrote:
Sid Vicious wrote:Its cool that your being honest as long as no retarted people are reading this
He also misspelled banned.
I'm a rabbit.

I'm fluffy and i get violated by humans a lot : (.
PasterOfMuppets

Post by PasterOfMuppets »

Ive never really had a problem dealing with "challenged" people.
My school is one of the high schools in the area with an actual "program" for disabled people
so interactions are inevitable.
it's how you view it i guess :\
Good joke... Everybody laugh... Roll on snare drum... Curtains...

Hanako = Shizune = Lilly = Rin > Kenji > Placeholder > Emi
Sid Vicious

Post by Sid Vicious »

Darlat wrote:
Verett wrote:
I've gotten one too, two infact, but yeah, I can understand too.
Verett wrote:
He also misspelled banned.
i know i misspelled them it just that i suck at spelling and long as it was near to being right i don't care if its wrong
I'll die before I'm 25, and when I do I'll have lived the way I wanted to-RIP Sid Vicious

Hanako > Rin > Lily > Emi > Shizune
NoOne3

Post by NoOne3 »

The whole thing with Yamaku is, it's a bit artificial (and Mods don't really try to hide it).

Generally, there are special schools for people who cannot learn efficiently in an ordinary kind of school, if child can be sent to an ordinary school it is generally considered a better choice for him/her.
That's why the first thing coming to mind is a school for mentally handicapped.
The second most popular association, would be a school for hearing impaired, or the one for visually impaired.

We can consider what kind of school every student would go. It would look something like this in my part of world:

Lily and Shizune would go everyone to an apropriate school, as long as there would be some government institute at hand nearby, or if their parents could affort a private one.

Emi would definitely go to a normal school. Especially if her folks could afford the prostetics she has now. Even if she should be bound to a wheelchair (which, is an economy class in this case, probably) I guess I could find at least one school im my immediate vicinity that would be wheelchair-friendly, so it's not incommon.

Rin could probably attend a school with some "disabled program", as mentioned before. Which generally accomodates normal kids, but have some educational conveniences fo disabled ones. Specially trained teachers, for one. And they wouldn't require Rin to write as much, as I had to in my school days, I hope.

Hanako would have it hard too. Probably home-schooled, or institutionallized. With loaded parents, she could be tutored in some "friendly and peacefull environment" kind of place. But on the other hand, she could be a quiet, disliked, freak, emo-kid in an ordinary school... if drugged properly (they have those wonderfull pills nowadays, almost entirely unlike old lobotomy-class medicaments).

I don't know if they have school's for hair-drill-WAHAHAs yet.
Last edited by NoOne3 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roy-Kr

Post by Roy-Kr »

I tend to like retarded people, they're generally friendly, funny and quirky.
You're all crazy.

And yes, Yamaku seems like a better-than-average school, if you absolutely want general education.
I also think this is why Hisao may have been apprehensive about going to Yamaku, you know?
Does anyone else feel this way?
No, he didn't want to go because he didn't want to see himself as disabled, basically anyways.
Hamachi ID: Melty Blood EU
Password: sugoisugoi
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

Yamaku seems nice to me because it's a boarding school (No goddamn parents is awesome for some in their high school years) with spacious parks, facilities (A school with an open access indoor heated swimming pool and gym? YES) and apparently very competent teachers.

As for the disabled, I've met cool kids, jackasses, quiet ones and loudmouths with disabilities. Just people.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué