Hanako's Face

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Kyruel

Hanako's Face

Post by Kyruel »

Something has been plaguing my thoughts as of late, and that would be what Hanako actually looks like under her peek-a-boo bangs. Sure, we've seen a fair number of pictures on the Shimmie, but I don't think here has been anything official yet. The general consensus on the Shimmie is that there is some discoloration and that's about it. As likely as this may be in the finished product of the game, I would think differently. It may be me having more than Hanako's measly self-esteem, but I don't think that would be enough to have a nervous twitch involving covering her face. I would quite like to see serious damage in either the skin or facial structure of Hanako's face, as this would add a bit more gravity to her condition. Sure, her actual disability is her aforementioned lack of self-esteem, but this would definitely deepen the realism in the game. Sure it's easy to overlook the scars and say "UR SO BEATIFLU" when it's just some redness over a kawaii anime drawing, but if you actually drew that side of her face as being repulsive, there is a legitimate reason to find Hanako unappealing. While this may sound like I'm just trying to put down Hanako (I will admit that she is my least favorite character, but by no means do I dislike her) I think it will give the player the opportunity to put aside real feelings about outward appearances and possible give the human at the keyboard some development.

Also, drawing her like this
just to piss off the white knights would amuse me. There, I said it.

Thoughts, discussion?
Last edited by Kyruel on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shockproof Jamo

Re: Hakano's Face

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that this "Hakano" character that you're talking about is probably a pretty gross-looking creature. However, I'm certain that our very own Hanako will, at the end of the day, turn out to be a pretty little thing. 8)

Post by Guest »

She was burned when she was like five, it's not going to look like that anymore. It'll probably look more like this, but more severe:
http://www.microskincenter.com/images/s ... 20Scar.jpg

Besides, haven't we had this thread already?
Kyruel

Post by Kyruel »

Shockproof Jamo wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure that this "Hakano" character that you're talking about is probably a pretty gross-looking creature. However, I'm certain that our very own Hanako will, at the end of the day, turn out to be a pretty little thing. 8)
Shiiiiiiiittttt massive typo alert. Brb editing.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Kyruel wrote:
Shockproof Jamo wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure that this "Hakano" character that you're talking about is probably a pretty gross-looking creature. However, I'm certain that our very own Hanako will, at the end of the day, turn out to be a pretty little thing. 8)
Shiiiiiiiittttt massive typo alert. Brb editing.
Too late. Your punishment is to be half-burned at the stake.
Kyruel

Re: Hanako's Face

Post by Kyruel »

the real tragedy is that even though I've corrected myself, everyone will be too preoccupied by the errors to bother with the topic of this thread.
Wan-wanniche

Post by Wan-wanniche »

I just don't think that it would be quite that serious. If it was, she wouldn't be able to leave her house or speak with anyone at all, considering her lack of self-esteem. She just wouldn't have the courage to socialize with anyone, the fear of their repulsion would outweigh any possible gains for her.
besides, this is an eroge, dammit. Not a tragic love story (although it is quite probably a true love story :wink: )
Rin takes an unexpected lead in the updated polls.
Surprised? a little
Is this unexpected? Have you met Rin:)?
Expect the unexpected. lol
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Harvey Dent is not moe.

That aside, a lot of Hanako's Shimmie artwork is by the dev artists, the ones who would be in the know about the full extent of Hanako's burns.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

G3n0c1de wrote:Harvey Dent is not moe.
Don't you talk about my Harvey~chan like that. :x
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Esquire

Post by Esquire »

I want to know how she looks under the bangs too, but I'm more curious as to how much of her is actually scarred as to what she looks like under the bangs. On a side note, if Hanako's self esteem does raise significantly, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a big scene showing her cutting off the bangs to reveal her face. That is, if she ends up overcoming her self esteem issues completely by the end of the game. Which I doubt will happen. Three months is a quite a short time to overcome a fear that you've had for over a decade. If my face was scarred like that as well, I would probably never be able to overcome my shyness/self esteem issues completely, thats for sure. I'd feel like people were always staring at me the same way I'm sure she feels.

But as a whole, I've met a few people who've had burns from being a kid. Not on their face, mind you, but on arms and legs. It really is more of discoloured skin after a really long time. I don't think it would be too hard to overlook, but I've never been in that kind of situation before (where the sever burn scars are on their face) so I can't say for sure.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Going by the original Raita description that Hanako has "a scar from a fire" and she has a "huge complex" about it, my guess would be that her scarring is not really that bad, but her extreme self-consciousness about it makes it seem much worse to her.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Actually, a better question is how much of the rest of her is scarred? We already know that her face and right arm were affected, but since she covers herself up I wonder how the rest of her body is. The scarring is consistently on her right side, perhaps her right leg was burned as well? Maybe there are areas where it is worse, and it goes all the way around her.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
a3d

Post by a3d »

Hey guys imagine if her area "down there" is all burnt up as well.
Imagine it, all smoked; nice and dark.

Hisao is gonna love it. (inb4 your scars are beautiful)

ANNNYWHO.

I actually was burnt quite "seriously" as a baby on my right arm, and while it hasn't disappeared, the tone of it turned to the colour of my skin. (It's still very visible mind you)
Yuurei

Post by Yuurei »

In the shimmie there is an image about her scars from back. I can't see legs and the front but she's surely covered of them. Hanako is like that I believe.
Anyway I don't think her body/face is carbonized like the first picture, more like different coloured skin like others said. Other ways would be a little more probably.
Last edited by Yuurei on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xybaro

Post by Xybaro »

a3d wrote:Hey guys imagine if her area "down there" is all burnt up as well.
Imagine it, all smoked; nice and dark.
Why was I reminded of bacon

:?
Hanako Lover