The Thread Thread: Questions about alternate outfits, etc.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Sgt_Frog

The Thread Thread: Questions about alternate outfits, etc.

Post by Sgt_Frog »

So, this is my second thread, after the short-lived World Of Warcraft one a while back. I had a few questions about clothing and shoes. Like alternate outfits, casual clothing, and whether or not the characters wear "uwabaki" or those white cloth-and-rubber shoes Japanese students wear while inside the school. I was hoping for some good discussion, maybe a bit of fanart, and...um...yeah, you can definitely tell I'm not very good at /starting/ threads.
neumanproductions

Re: The Thread Thread: Questions about alternate outfits, etc.

Post by neumanproductions »

Well, I know Rin gets to have painter's overalls. Other than that my only guess is that we will get to see more casual wear the further the story goes. Such as when winter comes around again, if they decided to entend the story that long. I personally think they will.
As for shoes Emi is allowed to use her normal running prosthetics when she bumps into Hisao (although she was in her gym clothes durign the time). The opening classroom CG seems to show several types of shoes or at least different shades. That's the current extent of my knowledge.
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If the writers don't find some excuse to get the girls in swimsuits (maybe excluding Hanako) at some point in the story, I will be very, very disappoint.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Goldilurks

Post by Goldilurks »

Csihar wrote:(maybe excluding Hanako)
This one needs to lurk moar. This one lurks too much! Ahh, this one lurks juuuuust enuf.
Katawa Haha: Disability Mothers
From Shizune's Perspective: a fanfic
Darroth

Post by Darroth »

I remember once reading something about a Hot Springs visit and that means Yukata.
PureLionHeart

Post by PureLionHeart »

This game just flat-out begs for a Halloween segment, frankly. The possibilities are endless.
If only...
"We ruin the countries we govern and the people in our care. We slaughter our enemies, and sacrifice all our allies. We'll keep killing until there's nothing left but to destroy ourselves. It will never be enough. We are incorrigible warmongers, aren't we?"
Xybaro

Post by Xybaro »

PureLionHeart wrote:This game just flat-out begs for a Halloween segment, frankly. The possibilities are endless.
If only...
I don't think Halloween is a very big thing in Japan.

Atleast, I've hardly ever seen anything of it in anime and visual novels.
Hanako Lover
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

You won't get school uniforms 24/7.

Regarding casuals, the Shimmie can help you.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

SirMax

Post by SirMax »

I think my nerd is showing, but I'd love to see Lilly in a kimono. Not because "omg so Japan!" or anything, I just like kimonos. Still, like cpl_crud mentioned in that manifest panel, it's a little unrealistic to ask artists to make a new outfit which needs a new sprite set for one scene, so any outfits that do show up will probably be used a decent amount.
Bara

Post by Bara »

SirMax wrote:I think my nerd is showing, but I'd love to see Lilly in a kimono. Not because "omg so Japan!" or anything, I just like kimonos. Still, like cpl_crud mentioned in that manifest panel, it's a little unrealistic to ask artists to make a new outfit which needs a new sprite set for one scene, so any outfits that do show up will probably be used a decent amount.
Yeah, just from the workload on the artists aspects I'd expect the girls to only have their one set of sprites for the story and any various "looks" would be done as one off CG's.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Xybaro wrote:
PureLionHeart wrote:This game just flat-out begs for a Halloween segment, frankly. The possibilities are endless.
If only...
I don't think Halloween is a very big thing in Japan.

Atleast, I've hardly ever seen anything of it in anime and visual novels.
With cosplay, every day can be Halloween in Japan.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

kapparomeo

Post by kapparomeo »

"Three outfits for each girl" was mentioned on the convention transcript - while we can't be sure whether that's actually a specific value or just a random number that Suriko threw out there for the sake of illustrating the workload for the audience, you could easily see it translating to a basic and universal trio of School Uniform/Mufti/Work Clothes.

So, for instance, Emi has her uniform, her gym kit (her "work" attire), and some mufti for out-of-school activities that we haven't seen yet. Similarly, Rin has her uniform for school, her painting overalls for work, and then mufti for casual occasions (again not seen yet).

Then, of course, there's the fourth costume: the birthday suit... ;)

Admittedly I'm no artist, but it shouldn't be too difficult to recreate different outfits, surely? Unless a character is going to be doing lots of specific movements, you could create a single template costume and then cut'n'paste all necessary expressions onto a blank face? You still have to draw one body, but at least you're not starting from scratch each time.
There was a young clerk who took exception to Curzon's memorandum. He thought it was balls. But he was afraid to say so directly, so he scratched faintly in the margin, 'Round Objects'. Lord Curzon replied in a note: "Who is Mr. Round, and why does he object?"
-Sir Alan Lascelles
neumanproductions

Post by neumanproductions »

kapparomeo wrote: Admittedly I'm no artist, but it shouldn't be too difficult to recreate different outfits, surely? Unless a character is going to be doing lots of specific movements, you could create a single template costume and then cut'n'paste all necessary expressions onto a blank face? You still have to draw one body, but at least you're not starting from scratch each time.
Again, I like using examples i'm really familiar with. In Shuffle!, after you've played throught the game, you have the option of viewing a 'the expression viewer mode'. This always you to see all the sprites of the VN. What i'm aware of is each main character has only two poses and their dress is layered over a completely drawn, naked sprite. Same with the expressions, which are layered over a blank face. This way you're able to have a foundation that can get layered over with any combination of dress and expression when completed. I'm not sure how the devs have it placed but it appears to me that this is the way they are currently running their sprites. So all they should need to do is layer the new clothes over the base form. This way they don't have to be redrawing whole sprites making it easier, simply by using the poses they currently have.
Anyone can notice this by looking at how the eyes are positioned; either over the hair or not.
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

neumanproductions wrote:I'm not sure how the devs have it placed but it appears to me that this is the way they are currently running their sprites. So all they should need to do is layer the new clothes over the base form. This way they don't have to be redrawing whole sprites making it easier, simply by using the poses they currently have. Anyone can notice this by looking at how the eyes are positioned; either over the hair or not.
No; the game sprites are not layered, each one is complete in its own right.

There actually was some discussion concerning this way back when and I won't claim to understand the technicalities, but apparently it's easier this way. The masters are of course layered to allow additions and modifications, but that's different.

Also I think that skilled use of transparencies would destroy that "eyes over the hair" stuff, but again I'm the guy who works with text, not images.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

scineram

Post by scineram »

Yes, swimsuits. There must be some swimsuits! And since we are talking about transparency...