Did the game change your real RL attitude towards cripples?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Siege

Re: Did the game change your real RL attitude towards cripples?

Post by Siege »

Not really. I've been friends with a number of people with 'disabilities' throughout my life; I've been friends with two people with muscular dystrophy, and one of my lab partners in college had virtually no use of one hand. He was one of the best people I've worked with, to the point where I'm hesitant at even calling him disabled.
Cylog

Re: Did the game change your real RL attitude towards crippl

Post by Cylog »

I haven't met many disabled people nor I had a chance to really get to know someone. But whenever someone tells me how poor they are... I think of KS and how it changed my attitude, and that these people are just experiencing their life from a different angle, and how personality actually defines people.
:recursion
In order to understand Recursion, one must understand recursion.
goto recursion
===============
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange."
Anajamois

Post by Anajamois »

Oddly, i've always fantasized about having a disability, and respected those that do. Why, i don't know. Probably because i feel that overcoming my disability would be fun to perfect.

Like, if i was missing an eye and played TF2, i'd play the demoman and scream something about being the REAL Demoman down the mic.

Or... If i was missing an ear and people spoke to my missing/deaf ear, i'd act like i was horrified that they would mock me so, and really drama-queen it up until i told them i was kidding.

Maybe i'm being selfish or narrow-minded. I'm not gonna stab my eye out anytime soon, though.
Cylog

Post by Cylog »

Anajamois wrote:Oddly, i've always fantasized about having a disability, and respected those that do.
Didn't we all fantasize about it (at least since we played KS)?
But every time I try to imagine it, I always end up how these imaginations differ from reality, and how these little jokes we could make about ourselves are just a little comfort to the harsh life we would be living.
:recursion
In order to understand Recursion, one must understand recursion.
goto recursion
===============
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's First Law of Equivalent Exchange."
Fhegy

Post by Fhegy »

Sadly no, my attitude has not changed. But that might be beacuse I don't meet "cripples" very often I suppose.
If you don't count one guy in my class who have a hole in his stomage and limping (birth problem or some sort). I don't see him as a "cripple", I see him as an regular guy, why wouldn't I?
I like toast!