A thought experiment

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Hellioning

A thought experiment

Post by Hellioning »

What, exactly, would happen, if, in addition to Hisao, Shiki Tohno (from Tsukihime, anemia), Ryo Takuguchi (from Brass Restoration, only one arm), and Shirou Emiya (Fate/Stay Night, Heaven's Feel route. Having an arm that can kill you counts as a disability, right?) were to go to Yamaku? What would happen with four dating sim protagonists in one school? Would the girls form fan clubs? Would one obtain more women then the other?

I, myself, would think that the Tohno Gland would win out, resulting in Shiki's "victory", but I may be biased.
Caesius

Re: A thought experiment

Post by Caesius »

If these visual novel protagonists were to attend Yamaku Cripple School, they would live out their lives like normal cripple schoolboys, just like Hisao, and think nothing of it.

Why, you ask?

Because they're no longer in their respective wacky-ass universes, but in the KS universe, where everyone is a normal cripple.

Sorry to ruin your crossover fantasy.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

I've kinda wondered what a VN with multiple male protagonists would be like, either with alternating points of view or a "character select" type screen at the beginning. Why does it always have to be one guy, 3-6 women, and a few furniture characters? Could open up a lot of interesting possibilities storywise, no? In other words, same idea as OP except minus crossover-y specifics.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

I know what would happen to KS if your crossover ideas were implemented:

It wouldn't get made.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
ze spy

Post by ze spy »

ContinualNaba wrote:I know what would happen to KS if your crossover ideas were implemented:

It wouldn't get made.

>implying it is
"That weird motherfucker"
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Csihar wrote:I've kinda wondered what a VN with multiple male protagonists would be like, either with alternating points of view or a "character select" type screen at the beginning. Why does it always have to be one guy, 3-6 women, and a few furniture characters?
Each additional male protagonist would increase the number of routes to write by the number of women.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Caesius wrote:Each additional male protagonist would increase the number of routes to write by the number of women.
20 paths, not to mention the differences in the inner dialogue pretty much mean that they'd do an equivalent amount of work writing 4 separate games.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

G3n0c1de wrote:
Caesius wrote:Each additional male protagonist would increase the number of routes to write by the number of women.
20 paths, not to mention the differences in the inner dialogue pretty much mean that they'd do an equivalent amount of work writing 4 separate games.
Well, yeah, it wouldn't really work with KS, but if you had something with 2 guys to 2 or 3 girls (Toradora style) it wouldn't be so bad. Or you could just do the alternating narrators thing, although that can be pretty hard to write well without it sounding gimmicky.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Wokka

Post by Wokka »

use the Ever17 method where only an early choice would determine which protagonist you play as, and only certain routes are available to that protagonist.

Wokka
You know, like Pac Man: wokka wokka wokka wokka

delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

ITT: Reasons why dating sims exist, and also reasons why they suck.
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

Well, this is an interesting thread.

If you threw in all those characters in, nothing would happen. no fan clubs, no school madness. nothing. They'd just live a life of an armless boy. They all have their respective multiverses where they aren't all loved by ALL the girls at once in any moment. They just go on in life. They don't particularly aim at girls, they just fall in love (I haven't played tsukihime so correct me if I'm wrong). In every path you don't have stuff like "I choose girl one/ girl two", you just.. do things that result in different actions. if you would do such stuff in reality, like... a choice of going to work or laze off by walking around town, it wouldn't so drastically result in a major change in your love life (bla bla bla, now Defenders of Love will trample me by saying that by such a walk you could meet the love of your life. or at work. whatever)
ze spy

Post by ze spy »

delta wrote:ITT: Reasons why dating sims exist, and also reasons why they suck.

Dating sims creep me out, and that's pretty hard considering it's me, I mean, adult VNs are VERY close to automatic ronery, but Dating simulators just push that button and won't stop for anything.
Last edited by ze spy on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That weird motherfucker"
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

There's a market for everything in this wonderful world. No matter how we wish there wasn't.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Csihar wrote:
G3n0c1de wrote:
Well, yeah, it wouldn't really work with KS, but if you had something with 2 guys to 2 or 3 girls (Toradora style) it wouldn't be so bad. Or you could just do the alternating narrators thing, although that can be pretty hard to write well without it sounding gimmicky.
Ef: A Fairy Tale of the Two.
ze spy wrote:
delta wrote:ITT: Reasons why dating sims exist, and also reasons why they suck.

Dating sims creep me out, and that's pretty hard considering it's me, I mean, adult VNs are VERY close to automatic ronery, but Dating simulators just push that button and won't stop for anything.
90% of videogames are just escapism in another guise.
Wrench Wench

Post by Wrench Wench »

ContinualNaba wrote:There's a market for everything in this wonderful world. No matter how we wish there wasn't.
Pregnant Dwarf Amputee public bestiality orgy with scat.

Someone has made it and someone has bought it.