Katawa Shoujo manga?...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Leotrak

Re: Katawa Shoujo manga?...

Post by Leotrak »

neumanproductions wrote:
Bara wrote:
neumanproductions wrote:I don't think they allow computers in prison, so you should do it after the full release. Just say'n.
No computers?!? That's cruel and inhumane, I say; cruel and inhumane!!! Then of course prison WOULD give you plenty of time to learn to draw... :roll:
Guess that means you could count me in. It would give me the excuse and time I need; only to get out by the time everything is done by computers.
Bah, after the full release it is, then -_-"
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
Anon

Post by Anon »

G3n0c1de wrote:
Caesius wrote:Most 4komas weren't made by Japanese fans...
Not Pimmy's ones, those weren't lame. On that other thread, there were ones with Japanese text. Aura posted the translations, and they were not funny.
Japanese humour is generally incredibly shit.

It's even worse than American humour which is pretty shit itself. Even Indian humour ranks above Japanese humour.
Member22

Post by Member22 »

Anon wrote:Japanese humour is generally incredibly shit.

It's even worse than American humour which is pretty shit itself. Even Indian humour ranks above Japanese humour.
Imo, I think although there are rankings within humor i.e not funny, ok-funny and hilarious/rofl... the language and culture issue really does make a difference. In other words, you may see Japanese humor as shit... but to japanese ppl or ppl who understand their language, they may see it as the best comedy ever... although you do get exceptions here and there.

Another problem is that humor in translated works is almost always going to be crap... as the gist of the joke is quite hard to convey, it may sound easy, but try getting a really funny joke from another language, translate it to english and see if it has the same effect
"If Hisao took one thing away from his time at Yamaku it was the fact that people who have handicaps don't actually have handicaps. People like Lilly and Shizune are more able-bodied and well-adjusted than most of the kids at Hisao's old high school. He shook his head slightly. No, students at Yamaku weren't handicapped; everyone else was." - WetCrate
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Member22 wrote:Imo, I think although there are rankings within humor i.e not funny, ok-funny and hilarious/rofl... the language and culture issue really does make a difference. In other words, you may see Japanese humor as shit... but to japanese ppl or ppl who understand their language, they may see it as the best comedy ever... although you do get exceptions here and there.

Another problem is that humor in translated works is almost always going to be crap... as the gist of the joke is quite hard to convey, it may sound easy, but try getting a really funny joke from another language, translate it to english and see if it has the same effect
On that note, I've never seen a Japanese joke work at all when it's dubbed in English (except for something like Shin-chan where they just rewrote the whole damn script). Dubbing throws off the intended flow of the dialog in subtle (or not so subtle) ways, and since timing is everything in comedy, it always feels a little clumsy. It also seems like a lot of the humor in anime comes from the voice actors' vocal expressiveness in the original Japanese (I'm thinking of Konata from Lucky Star here), along with the weird untranslatable puns and cultural in-jokes you'd find in a show like Arakawa Under the Bridge or FLCL. I find all of these examples hilarious, btw, but I'm pretty easy to please.

Let's see, how can we make this relate to a KS manga...? :roll: I guess it would be nice to see a comedy doujin before an H one, but good luck on that happening.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

bitpeg

Post by bitpeg »

Anon wrote: Japanese humour is generally incredibly shit.

I'll agree about the japanese humor, but come on. You've probably only heard of the internationally famous crap like Family Guy or Dane Cook... wait, I'll have to agree with you actually. There hasn't been any good american comedy since 2008.
These fermions smell positively ionic.
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

bitpeg wrote:
Anon wrote: Japanese humour is generally incredibly shit.

I'll agree about the japanese humor, but come on. You've probably only heard of the internationally famous crap like Family Guy or Dane Cook... wait, I'll have to agree with you actually. There hasn't been any good american comedy since 2008.
Really? Cause Jeff Dunham tickles my laughter glands quite well. He's American, right? >_>
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

bitpeg wrote:There hasn't been any good american comedy since 2008.
What about Conan O'Brien, he's funny :<
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

Conan the Barbarian was funny too...

Either way, KS manga.. um... I don't know... it's like with touhou manga - the game seems mostly better.
bitpeg

Post by bitpeg »

Leotrak wrote:Really? Cause Jeff Dunham tickles my laughter glands quite well. He's American, right? >_>
He doesn't invent new jokes, much like Family Guy.
These fermions smell positively ionic.
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

Smoku wrote:Conan the Barbarian was funny too...

Either way, KS manga.. um... I don't know... it's like with touhou manga - the game seems mostly better.
Conan the Librarian was better.
bitpeg wrote:
Leotrak wrote:Really? Cause Jeff Dunham tickles my laughter glands quite well. He's American, right? >_>
He doesn't invent new jokes, much like Family Guy.
If you can call those jokes.
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
cemex

Post by cemex »

Your best bet would be to wait for the next Comiket (August 13-15). If the Japanese are going to release any KS doujins, you'll see them there.

It'll be something I'm keeping an eye out for

Get chance and luck
Xuan

Post by Xuan »

Haha, unfortunately it hasn't reached that far yet.
" It would be hard to believe I was nearly killed by a love confession."
Bara

Post by Bara »

cemex wrote:Your best bet would be to wait for the next Comiket (August 13-15). If the Japanese are going to release any KS doujins, you'll see them there.
With the Japanese language only going out in the A1 Ver. 3 release on May 14 I would guess that KS is still too relatively unknown to the mass of people in Japan who might be interested in KS. While not impossible, I think the time frame for someone to discover and play KS and then create a doujin is pretty dang tight. I fear to see the direction any said "quick draw" doujin would take off the girls intro from just the first act, or even as some have suggested an exploitative "tentacle rape" doujin.
cemex wrote:It'll be something I'm keeping an eye out for
Please do. I'm pretty certain we would all love to hear if you come across anything.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
a3d

Post by a3d »

Heh, I might as well upload this for they hey of it.

Direct link:
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg15 ... nnadie.jpg
neumanproductions

Post by neumanproductions »

a3d wrote:Heh, I might as well upload this for they hey of it.

Direct link:
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg15 ... nnadie.jpg
Indeed the best series of strips I have seen.
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)