Hanako's disability is "cheap"?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Member22

Re: Hanako's disability is "cheap"?

Post by Member22 »

Guest wrote:"I know that Katawa Shoujo is a realistic game, with realistic characters."

Its a dating sim with characters made for a dating sim that were made to be realistic in the context of a dating sim. They are not realistic in real life. It's the truth.

The disabilities of the characters were decided by Raita based on what he thought would be cool in a dating game. The justifications for being at Yamuku were written afterwards. So the bottom line is. Yes, emi and Hanako have cheap disabilities. But its a work of fiction dating simulator. Who cares.
Attachments
1261337971998.jpg
1261337971998.jpg (48.44 KiB) Viewed 4903 times
"If Hisao took one thing away from his time at Yamaku it was the fact that people who have handicaps don't actually have handicaps. People like Lilly and Shizune are more able-bodied and well-adjusted than most of the kids at Hisao's old high school. He shook his head slightly. No, students at Yamaku weren't handicapped; everyone else was." - WetCrate
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

A few posts in this thread really bring out why we wrote Yamaku to be an all-encompassing institution rather than some "you must be THIS disabled to ride" fun fair. If you think about it, Kenji actually has (some) sight, Shizune and every other literate deaf/mute student can communicate with any person who can read and write. The students get to leave the school grounds on their own, unsupervised (even the blind Lilly does this!). If you set the rules of acceptable disability to suit you, you can justify any character in the game being functional enough to not "earn" his or her spot in the cripple concentration camp of your mind. That's not what the actual place in the game is, however.

Many of these characters could plausibly attend a normal high school. However, they don't, they go to Yamaku instead and there is nothing mysterious about it. Kids with talent for math might gravitate towards schools renowned for their math teaching. Disabled kids gravitate towards a school renowned for its care of disabled kids.

It is truly ironic and disappointing to see discussion about first- and second-class cripples on a forum of a game that tries to communicate that disabled people are not second-class humans. Like climatic said all the way back to page 1, there is nothing cheap about being disabled and Yamaku embraces everyone equally. You might think it's just a matter of convenience for us, so we can stick whichever character you don't think is "disabled enough" in the setting, but to me saying something like that sounds basically like this:

"I'm a bigoted faggot, please rape my face"
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
neumanproductions

Post by neumanproductions »

Aura wrote: Many of these characters could plausibly attend a normal high school. However, they don't, they go to Yamaku instead and there is nothing mysterious about it. Kids with talent for math might gravitate towards schools renowned for their math teaching. Disabled kids gravitate towards a school renowned for its care of disabled kids.
I couldn't agree with you more Aura; my thoughts exactly. This is really prevelent in the OC that have been created by our own resident writers on the forum. We get what you devs have done and I personally appreciate what you guys have set out to accomplish with this story. Despite claims from haters i've come across. No disability is cheap here and showing that they can live a normal life/sex-life really strikes at the base.

Waha, to far off topic I suppose but you get my drift.
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)
Minister of Gloom

Post by Minister of Gloom »

That's a tad bit harsh, is it not? I made a mistake. I admit it. You are right and I was wrong, now I understand better.

EDIT: Tantrum's over. Sorry about this. Erased some things I have said here that perhaps I shouldn't have in such a forum. You hit a sensitive spot and I acted irrationally.
Last edited by Minister of Gloom on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Life, what is it but a dream?
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Minister of Gloom wrote:
That's a tad bit harsh, is it not? I made a mistake. I admit it. You are right and I was wrong, now I understand better. Was there truly a need for this?
Don't worry guy, getting insulted by a dev is a rite of passage around here. ;)
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

Minister of Gloom wrote:
That's a tad bit harsh, is it not? I made a mistake. I admit it. You are right and I was wrong, now I understand better. Was there truly a need for this?
Gets the point across to those with a thicker skull than you >_> Not saying yours is on the thick side, mind you.

Then again, it might not...
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
Minister of Gloom

Well, sure am glad that I passed that rite of passage.
זה מגניב אותי כל פעם מחדש, העובדה שיש פה עברית. אני תוהה אם מישהו ישים לב ששיניתי חתימה.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Minister of Gloom wrote:Well, sure am glad that I passed that rite of passage.
Keep in mind the Devs are generally a strong minded bunch of personalities and pretty dedicated to the project to have spent as long as they have at it.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Minister of Gloom

I were not trying to imply that the character they created isn't good(it' probably my favorite, actually), and I by no means tried to imply that their game is any less then a unique masterpiece. All I said was my opinion at that moment, and now I admit that it was a stupid opinion. No need to be nasty about it.

We are going really Off Topic here, though, so let's just forget about it and keep talking about scars or whatever. For now, at least.
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

Hey, how come he gets insulted and I don't?
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

[12:46] == climatic was kicked from #katawa-shoujo by climatic [climatic]
[12:46] <+ContinualNaba> wut
[12:46] <%VCR> wut
[12:47] <+Juno> Qué
Leotrak

Post by Leotrak »

ContinualNaba wrote:Hey, how come he gets insulted and I don't?
Who says you weren't? :P
"ice-cream-flavoured ice-cream" -Rin
"oh moe is me" -me
Numbered Days, my first piece of fanfic
Leotrak's Library, my other depository of written stuffs
Before: Hanako>/=Emi>Rin>Lilly>Shizune
After: Emi>Rin>Hanako>Lilly>>>>>>>>>>>Shizune
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

I do!Where are the throngs of Devs berating my self-centred, attention-seeking, hyphen-abusing, comma-misusing, banana-eating, ass-kissing self?
[19:33] <!Suriko> i think i could go my whole life without putting my mouth on someone's ass voluntarily

Bara

Post by Bara »

ContinualNaba wrote:I do!Where are the throngs of Devs berating my self-centred, attention-seeking, hyphen-abusing, comma-misusing, banana-eating, ass-kissing self?
Sorry this is Arguments; Abuse is down the hall in the IRC channel... :twisted:

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
ContinualNaba

Post by ContinualNaba »

And thus all is made well!

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Since I really feel we can spend our time more productively than having to send stern remarks at people who ought to know better - locked.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.