Is katawa Shoujo the gateway drug of visual novels?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
Post Reply

Was KS your first real VN?

yes and I haven't gotten into other VNs
127
20%
Yes and I have read other VNs since then
193
30%
No I have read other VN before I discovered KS
319
50%
 
Total votes: 639

User avatar
Anonymous22
sounds kinda gay
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:23 pm

Re: Is katawa Shoujo the gateway drug of visual novels?

Post by Anonymous22 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:16 pm

write better
draw better
visual novels are somewhere between a written story and a play

meta shit sucks
hurr durr

User avatar
Xybaro
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Is katawa Shoujo the gateway drug of visual novels?

Post by Xybaro » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:26 pm

Aura wrote: There was a project to adapt the scifi short story Dandelion Girl into a VN last year. DG was written 1961 and is an acclaimed story, one of the more famous short stories ever written. So okay, technically this would be at least on the way to something like what I'm envisioning here right? However, the people who adapted it tampered with the script, adding animeisms, references and shit, all but wrecking the sublime original (in my opinion). Add the animesque character art and yeah... you get the idea. It basically underlines why I think the current state of visual novel as a medium is "fubar".
I played that monstrosity.

Talk about a waste of my time.

:(

Oh, and, thanks Aura.
Hanako Lover

User avatar
Gumaster
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:23 am
Contact:

Re: Is katawa Shoujo the gateway drug of visual novels?

Post by Gumaster » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:33 am

Xybaro wrote:
Aura wrote: There was a project to adapt the scifi short story Dandelion Girl into a VN last year. DG was written 1961 and is an acclaimed story, one of the more famous short stories ever written. So okay, technically this would be at least on the way to something like what I'm envisioning here right? However, the people who adapted it tampered with the script, adding animeisms, references and shit, all but wrecking the sublime original (in my opinion). Add the animesque character art and yeah... you get the idea. It basically underlines why I think the current state of visual novel as a medium is "fubar".
I played that monstrosity.

Talk about a waste of my time.
Really? I didn't think it was that bad...the art wasn't too animeesque, I felt it was pretty simple and fit well with the story; although I do think the script was tampered with a bit too much. What exactly do you mean by animeisms?

That aside...it's a few years too late for KS to be my first, although it is pretty easy to recommend it to others, since there's no need for an english patch, etc.

User avatar
Pumpkineat3r
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:08 am

Re: Is katawa Shoujo the gateway drug of visual novels?

Post by Pumpkineat3r » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Fate Stay Night and Yume Miru Kusuri seem to be the two most common first VNs (the former was mine). Any of the three would get the player off to a good start.
Image

User avatar
neumanproductions
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:58 pm
Location: Breathing the same air as you
Contact:

Re: Is katawa Shoujo the gateway drug of visual novels?

Post by neumanproductions » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:04 pm

Pumpkineat3r wrote:Yume Miru Kusuri
Just started that one recently and went down the Aeka path. I almost feel like not taking the others because of how it affected me. In a good sense, for I identify as being the guy that would get mad about someone being treated the way she was. I would revolt like Kouhei in that last scene and imagined everything happening as if I was the one in his place.
That is what a truely great VN has the power to do. I feel like KS will be one of those. I already got drawn in from Act 1 so it's all up to you Devs to finish with a strong middle and end. Make me proud to call you guys my first. :D
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)

User avatar
G3n0c1de
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 1:15 am
Location: How are ya?

Re: Is katawa Shoujo the gateway drug of visual novels?

Post by G3n0c1de » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:19 am

neumanproductions wrote:
Pumpkineat3r wrote:Yume Miru Kusuri
Just started that one recently and went down the Aeka path.
I do hope you finish the other two paths. The path satisfaction from Aeka's path is definitely the confrontation scene. Nekoko's path is a lot of fun, and the end is really sweet. Mizuki's path is CRAZY, and the end will give you diabetes. In my opinion, these two are (slightly) better than the Aeka path.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.

User avatar
Pumpkineat3r
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:08 am

Re: Is katawa Shoujo the gateway drug of visual novels?

Post by Pumpkineat3r » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:00 am

neumanproductions wrote:
Pumpkineat3r wrote:Yume Miru Kusuri
Just started that one recently and went down the Aeka path.
I felt like the game railroads the player down that path. Unless you're specifically aiming for another one (generally meaning it's not your first run), you'll probably get her. I would encourage you to do Mizuki and Nekoko in that order. Mizuki has the best character song, and her route is full of good porn; Nekoko is god-tier, and the best way to top off your YMK experience, in my expert opinion.
Image

User avatar
cemex
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 10:13 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Is katawa Shoujo the gateway drug of visual novels?

Post by cemex » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:58 am

I guess you could say that KS has encouraged me to pursue other visual novels. I've heard that Koihime Musou (it's not the best title out there but I want to check it out) has been licensed so I plan to get my hands on a copy of it now
Image

Get chance and luck

User avatar
Arias
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:20 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Is katawa Shoujo the gateway drug of visual novels?

Post by Arias » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:25 pm

Pumpkineat3r wrote:
neumanproductions wrote:
Pumpkineat3r wrote:Yume Miru Kusuri
Just started that one recently and went down the Aeka path.
I felt like the game railroads the player down that path. Unless you're specifically aiming for another one (generally meaning it's not your first run), you'll probably get her. I would encourage you to do Mizuki and Nekoko in that order. Mizuki has the best character song, and her route is full of good porn; Nekoko is god-tier, and the best way to top off your YMK experience, in my expert opinion.
Nekoko is the canon anyways.

Back onto subject. I had played only one other visual novel before KS and its writing was horribad. KS actually got me to try out other visual novels instead of thinking they were all crap, even if that is mostly true for the ones I have read.
Yandere is God-tier

User avatar
Wrench Wench
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Is katawa Shoujo the gateway drug of visual novels?

Post by Wrench Wench » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:39 pm

Well after this I played through FS/N

Three things came of it.

My partner screamed "what the fuck Japan?" repeatedly on discovering they turned King Arthur into a moeblob.

I screamed "what the fuck Japan?" when she said she had an overly developed body but looked like a marshmallow.

And we both fell in love with that quiet noble moeblob king.

User avatar
Xybaro
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Is katawa Shoujo the gateway drug of visual novels?

Post by Xybaro » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Wrench Wench wrote:Well after this I played through FS/N

Three things came of it.

My partner screamed "what the fuck Japan?" repeatedly on discovering they turned King Arthur into a moeblob.

I screamed "what the fuck Japan?" when she said she had an overly developed body but looked like a marshmallow.

And we both fell in love with that quiet noble moeblob king.
I remember my first time playing F/SN

Unfortunately, it's been my only time. Had to uninstall, haven't gotten back yet :(
Hanako Lover

User avatar
Wrench Wench
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Is katawa Shoujo the gateway drug of visual novels?

Post by Wrench Wench » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:38 pm

Xybaro wrote:
Wrench Wench wrote:Well after this I played through FS/N

Three things came of it.

My partner screamed "what the fuck Japan?" repeatedly on discovering they turned King Arthur into a moeblob.

I screamed "what the fuck Japan?" when she said she had an overly developed body but looked like a marshmallow.

And we both fell in love with that quiet noble moeblob king.
I remember my first time playing F/SN

Unfortunately, it's been my only time. Had to uninstall, haven't gotten back yet :(
Well I just took it a bit personally when she said her body was overdeveloped. The girl was a walking pillow. I have more muscle in my finger than she does in her entire body!
My thigh is probably as thick as her fucking waist!

User avatar
Smoku
Posts: 687
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:39 pm
Location: My own world

Re: Is katawa Shoujo the gateway drug of visual novels?

Post by Smoku » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:04 am

She's the ideal woman! I prefer this version a lot from the real Arthur legends. In my world, Arthur WAS a sexy woman and that's final.

A-Anyway... I only played little stuff before KS. then I turned to the big ones. just completed every little thing in F/SN and then I'll move on to wind, a breath of heart and ever 17

User avatar
Wrench Wench
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:22 am

Re: Is katawa Shoujo the gateway drug of visual novels?

Post by Wrench Wench » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:07 am

Smoku wrote:She's the ideal woman! I prefer this version a lot from the real Arthur legends. In my world, Arthur WAS a sexy woman and that's final.

A-Anyway... I only played little stuff before KS. then I turned to the big ones. just completed every little thing in F/SN and then I'll move on to wind, a breath of heart and ever 17
Well she's still a little girl physically. But other than that she is pretty amazing.

User avatar
Medrex
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Is katawa Shoujo the gateway drug of visual novels?

Post by Medrex » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:13 am

Wrench Wench wrote: I screamed "what the fuck Japan?" when she said she had an overly developed body but looked like a marshmallow.
That really put me off at the time. I read it. I looked at her and was like "no... your not... your really, really not. I can't see any muscle ANYWHERE" O.o

Snow Sakura was my first VN, then i moved onto Ever17, came across KS, then Yume Miru Kusuri and I've recently finished all the endings for F/SN. Working on getting all the tiger dojos now for the funnies. Saber King Arthur is much more epic than normal king Arthur.

Post Reply