V1/2 Music VS V3 Music discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Shades of gray
Location: Those two eyes under that rock, yeah, the ones watching you? Thats me...

V1/2 Music VS V3 Music discussion

Post by Shades of gray »

This is just a poll discussion to see what people think of the newer music in the V3 compared to V1/2.

this may also serve as a Indicator for the Devs if they wish.
Last edited by delta on Fri May 21, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Just because I don't like locking threads.
2 kidneys for sale, slightly used, non-functional, no refunds.
delta
Feels Badman

Re: V1/2 Music VS V3 Music Poll

Post by delta »

> V1/2 Music VS V3 Music Poll

You're not going to poll over an issue like this, because polls are dumb. Topic adjusted accordingly.
Shades of gray
Location: Those two eyes under that rock, yeah, the ones watching you? Thats me...

Re: V1/2 Music VS V3 Music discussion

Post by Shades of gray »

Fair enough,

will say this though... Nurse's Theme? big nada from me. it just to come from the left-field sinister area IMO.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

foreshadowing
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Shades of gray

Post by Shades of gray »

and here I was hoping the Nurse would be nice....

then again, it took 5 years for me and my doctor to be friends....

hospitals and 90% of its workers are evil i tells ya, EVIL!
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

I think the new tracks sound great, especially Lilly's theme. Shizune's does seem a bit quieter than the rest of the tracks, although that would probably be easy to fix.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

DovK

Post by DovK »

Concord is sex for the ears, and The Student Council's new woodwinds work great. The melody for Out of the Loop is a little jarring, though.

All the newer songs sound like they have greater differences between loud and quiet sections; whether that's a good thing or not I can't quite decide, personally. It's certainly less flat, but by the same merit it grabs your attention. I end up focusing more on the music than I feel I should. Of course, Concord is fine and dandy because it's such a quiet and mellow song, but Out of the Loop is absolutely crazy with it.

On the topic of Concord though, the slow strings don't work so well when they're played fast, which they are for brief periods in the song; the notes are just sort of lost in the fast transitions. It's a shame, too, because they're so gorgeous the rest of the time.
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

delta wrote:You're not going to poll over an issue like this, because polls are dumb.
Cough what the fuck.

anyway, music answer (second half of post)
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Do you want to imply that a completely irrelevant poll about which character you like most which is also massively skewed by bot voting is not dumb?
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Blue and the other dev's have already gotten an earful from me about the music on IRC, so I won't say much here. For those worried about the volume variance, Delta and Blue have already started on getting replay gain on all the tracks, so those'll be smoothed out.

And EL, the only real issue I have with Concord is the large amount of reverb and rubato on the strings in the middle section, otherwise I don't really see what you're getting at. The B-C transition is a shift from 4/4 time to a waltz. Of course it's going to be jarring.
静音是买外夫
Shades of gray

Post by Shades of gray »

delta wrote:>

You're not going to poll over an issue like this, because polls are dumb. Topic adjusted accordingly.

..... you know... I just realized that it was you that started the favorite girl poll... now i quote you from it :
delta wrote:>

and the impression differs wildly among people. So I decided to poll it
could it (in the interest in fairness?) be pointed out that this poll was to find out which versions music people preferred?

KS has many things going for it, which includes its music, is it wrong to wonder which "set" of music was preferred?
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

Warwick wrote:And EL, the only real issue I have with Concord is the large amount of reverb and rubato on the strings in the middle section, otherwise I don't really see what you're getting at. The B-C transition is a shift from 4/4 time to a waltz. Of course it's going to be jarring.
First part: yes. Second part: what. You are seriously saying time switches are inherently unpleasant? The original had the same switch and didn't sound bad in the process. I don't wanna have to redownload v3 with my current Internet connection (will be back to normal in a couple days), but IIRC the issue in the new version at that part was that the lower notes basically drop out abruptly due to the aforementioned bad volume variances, which makes the time switch sound terrible; in the original the bass sticks around to back it up. Might be talking out of my ass since I've got a memory like a thingy that lets water drain out of it while keeping back solids of appreciable size, Iunno, if so I'll listen again in a couple days.
delta wrote:Do you want to imply that a completely irrelevant poll about which character you like most which is also massively skewed by bot voting is not dumb?
My point revolved around the username of the thread creator, obviously.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Shades of gray wrote:KS has many things going for it, which includes its music, is it wrong to wonder which "set" of music was preferred?
I think if the V3 versions of the tracks have a higher production quality then it'd be absurd to ask people which they prefer.

I haven't heard it myself yet, but the largest concern seems to be volume variance, which is due to the lower production quality of the V1 tracks.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Caesius wrote:
Shades of gray wrote:KS has many things going for it, which includes its music, is it wrong to wonder which "set" of music was preferred?
I think if the V3 versions of the tracks have a higher production quality then it'd be absurd to ask people which they prefer.
Also, it's not like they're going to revert the songs back to the old versions even if a bunch of people like those better.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Csihar wrote:
Caesius wrote:
Also, it's not like they're going to revert the songs back to the old versions even if a bunch of people like those better.
And of course by "a bunch" you mean "a vocal minority."