Gratz on ver. 3

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

EternalLurker

Re: Gratz on ver. 3

Post by EternalLurker »

Member22 wrote:But could this be some kind of reference/nod to Riata's original drawing style?
Homages do not suffice as reasons to decrease art quality unnecessarily from what was originally a well-drawn sprite, even if too short and flat-chested for some people. The sketchiness of this one is jarring everywhere, especially with the track clothes (couldn't stand v3 long enough to get to where she wore school clothes) and in general with the odd, rigid and inconsistent angles of her fingers, not to mention the "blush" that looks like makeup gone wrong. Even the Yuuko sprites seem to have multiple wrinkles in the exact same places in completely different poses, like outlines were drawn for separate sprites and wrinkles were drawn over them both simultaneously to save time.
Member22

Post by Member22 »

EternalLurker wrote:Homages do not suffice as reasons to decrease art quality unnecessarily from what was originally a well-drawn sprite, even if too short and flat-chested for some people. The sketchiness of this one is jarring everywhere, especially with the track clothes (couldn't stand v3 long enough to get to where she wore school clothes) and in general with the odd, rigid and inconsistent angles of her fingers, not to mention the "blush" that looks like makeup gone wrong. Even the Yuuko sprites seem to have multiple wrinkles in the exact same places in completely different poses, like outlines were drawn for separate sprites and wrinkles were drawn over them both simultaneously to save time.
Yeah, I was trying to find an explanation for the change. But anyway, its a good thing this is still a demo and a WIP, there is always space for improvement in the art, development, translation etc deptartments as they do not have a specific deadline to release KS (thankfully us fans have a lot of patience). This is definitely an improvement from Emi's old sprites and I am sure the artists are still working on it.
"If Hisao took one thing away from his time at Yamaku it was the fact that people who have handicaps don't actually have handicaps. People like Lilly and Shizune are more able-bodied and well-adjusted than most of the kids at Hisao's old high school. He shook his head slightly. No, students at Yamaku weren't handicapped; everyone else was." - WetCrate
EternalLurker

Post by EternalLurker »

Member22 wrote:I am sure the artists are still working on it.
delta wrote:
Goldilurks wrote:I think I'll like the new Emi when she's more polished. I can get behind the design changes, but this clearly looks like a beta version for the new look.
lol
Wouldn't count on it.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Let's also not forget that, whether you like the new sprites or not, they're still higher quality than like 3/4 of the art you'll find in VNs. Bump that up to 90% if you're only counting free ones. Also, there's the fact that KS makes no attempt to hide the fact that there are multiple artists with very different styles working on it (unlike a lot of VNs which are largely done by one artist), and the level of consistency is still pretty high despite that. Take the CGs for instance - if you compare, say, Lilly and Shizune's face-off, Rin eating in the art room, and the 100% complete CG, it's pretty obvious they're not done by the same person, but they all still look great in context. I like the mix of different styles, since I think it gives it more of a communally-made feel. Of course, YMMV, which is fine.

tl;dr... you'll get used to it.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Bara

Post by Bara »

Csihar wrote:tl;dr... you'll get used to it.
Yep, I agree. And if you don't... well get over it. Having an opinion and a sense of artistic continuity is one thing, but bitching and moaning about free stuff is kind of lame.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

There's also a difference between "bitching and moaning about free stuff" and offering criticism to help improve said free stuff. I'm sure the devs are receptive to constructive criticism and are willing to put in effort to improve aspects of the game if it's reasonable and rewarding to do so. I'm pretty confident that they'll get around to cleaning up Emi's sprites eventually since it's a relatively quick process compared to overhauling the sprites completely, which they've already done, and there's been a lot of fans saying that they'd like Emi's sprites cleaned up. I'm also fairly sure that delta's "lol" wasn't implying that they wouldn't improve Emi's sprite, but more mocking the idea that the Act 1 demo of a free amateur VN shouldn't have a "beta feel" to the sprites.

The devs can be hardasses, but they're taking this project seriously, and so should you. Only if you feel that a suggestion or complaint is nitpicking should you stop bitching and moaning. (and that's a general "you," not really directed at you... you know.)
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Emi's face looks nice when her eyes are open, but the sketchiness of when they are closed is very distracting, and out of style. Also, the wrinkles and other general details of the sprites are sketchy as well. All of the other sprites look a lot cleaner. Like Goldilurks said, she needs more polish, but once she gets that she'll be an awesome sprite. Here's to hoping that these changes will be in the final release.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
DisregardwhatIjust

Post by DisregardwhatIjust »

Version 3 will be my 7th play-through. /OCD
Disregard what I just said please. Sleep.
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

Bara wrote:
Yep, I agree. And if you don't... well get over it. Having an opinion and a sense of artistic continuity is one thing, but bitching and moaning about free stuff is kind of lame.
This is basically why I filled my post with about ten "holy shit this is just me saying I'm not demanding a change" qualifiers, not including the other eight or so I deleted. :| Honestly this is starting to remind me uncomfortable of the TF2 community who can get veeeery prickly if you don't like a new unlock.
Bara

Post by Bara »

SirMax wrote:
Bara wrote:
This is basically why I filled my post with about ten "holy shit this is just me saying I'm not demanding a change" qualifiers, not including the other eight or so I deleted. :| Honestly this is starting to remind me uncomfortable of the TF2 community who can get veeeery prickly if you don't like a new unlock.
Heh, yeah the forums are, of course, full of fanboys arguing about eyelashes and commas. (How many Angels can dance on the head of a pin, anyone?)
I can't imagine WHY the Devs can't resist Trolling our asses. I guess a little payback for putting up with our backseat driving of their work is only fair. :mrgreen:

oops! fixed the typo. :wink:
Last edited by Bara on Fri May 21, 2010 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Bara wrote:comas.
:evil:
DovK

Post by DovK »

Why the devs like to troll? We all came from the same place, I'm sure, and that place tends to instill a certain love of the fine arts... literature, music, politics, and makin' dudes angry over shit. You know, the classics.

As for the criticism, they're (semi)professionals*. They can take a little constructive feedback; they wouldn't have gotten so far if they reacted badly to criticism, or didn't seek it at all. As it is, their own unceasing drive to do better pushes them to make something as amazing as what we see today. They are their own worst critics, I'm sure.

*Well, not amateurs, but they don't get paid. What's the word for that? Hobbyists?
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

DovK wrote:*Well, not amateurs, but they don't get paid. What's the word for that? Hobbyists?
Schmucks.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

DovK wrote:Why the devs like to troll?
I believe the correct answer is always "for the lulz." It could be worse though. *cough*Haruhi*cough*
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Yeah, DovK is on the money here. Rest assured we've all criticised ourselves and each other much, much harder than anyone on here's done. Constructive criticism is a very good thing, and better than mindless praise (though those are important qualifiers).