The extent of Rin's independence.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Shockproof Jamo

The extent of Rin's independence.

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

Aura's recent blog entry...
Emi is not Rin's servant, nor does she need one. You'd be surprised what (real) people who've never had arms can do with their feet and toes. Rin can do the following things perfectly without any aid: dress up, take her clothes off, personal hygieny stuff, school work, eat (she prefers a fork or a spoon over chopsticks) and so on. I've actually had try hard to think what really is impossible or too impractical for her.
...got me wondering... What type of techniques does Rin use to manage this stuff with just her feet? In particular, how does she, and the real armless people of the world manage to put pants on, and then take them off later? Zip and button up? Maybe put a belt on as well? I've been thinking about this and can't figure out any easy ways of pulling your pants over the very appendages that you're at the same time supposed to use for the job.

Also, what about carrying something like a food tray, or just a bowl of soup in a cafeteria without spilling? One would have to use the feet for walking there, and holding a tray between one's teeth seems so... unstable.

Pardon this old fool's ignorance. And if you please, let's not talk about how Rin can "release her wastes" without soiling herself. I think that's been done to death.

Post scriptum: Have any of you ever tried picturing Rin scratching behind her ear? :D
Run Out Groove

Re: The extent of Rin's independence.

Post by Run Out Groove »

Personally, I would say that Rin is fairly dependent on Emi for some things. Not all things, but enough for her to require Emi's assistance. That's not to say Emi is Rin's slave, but because they're friends, she's more than willing to help her out when she needs it.
Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

I dunno about that. People born armless can actually do plenty without any assistance. I remember a documentary on a chinese woman who had no arms. She could do everything from dressing to cooking and cleaning and even using chopsticks with her feet alone. All without assistance of course. When you are born without arms, you just adapt i guess.
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Why does Rin need a shirt if she has no arms?
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Because stumps are ugly.

That and common decency.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Layzuhl

Post by Layzuhl »

In the name of SCIENCE I am be pleased to announce that my experiment to put on my pants without using my arms was a success.
Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

I salute you good sir for your success in this noble endeavor.
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey
U.T. Raptor

Post by U.T. Raptor »

Shades of Grey wrote:I dunno about that. People born armless can actually do plenty without any assistance. I remember a documentary on a chinese woman who had no arms. She could do everything from dressing to cooking and cleaning and even using chopsticks with her feet alone. All without assistance of course. When you are born without arms, you just adapt i guess.
It helps that our feet are basically hands with not-fully-opposable-anymore thumbs.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Run Out Groove wrote:Personally, I would say that Rin is fairly dependent on Emi for some things.
No. The entire point of what I said on the blog was that Rin is not dependent on Emi (or anyone) for pretty much anything.

There are things that are inconvenient but possible, or things that she hasn't gotten around to learn yet (in a world designed for people with hands, doing some stuff can be very unintuitive for someone without) but very few things that are not doable. Most of the stuff Emi does is easily within Rin's own capabilities, but maybe she doesn't realize, or maybe they both just find it more convenient. Maybe Emi is prejudiced to think Rin is more helpless than she really is, or maybe Rin is lazy and likes having a servant. There are many ways you can interpret their relationship.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Aura wrote:No. The entire point of what I said on the blog was that Rin is not dependent on Emi (or anyone) for pretty much anything.
Not to go against what you are saying, I am curious, can Rin put a bra on by herself? The way I see it, there are three answers:

- Yes, which makes Rin all the more amazing.

- No, she has Emi.

Or

- No, she doesn't wear a bra, which would be sweet.
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

G3n0c1de wrote:
Aura wrote:No. The entire point of what I said on the blog was that Rin is not dependent on Emi (or anyone) for pretty much anything.
Not to go against what you are saying, I am curious, can Rin put a bra on by herself? The way I see it, there are three answers:

- Yes, which makes Rin all the more amazing.
- No, she has Emi.
Or
- No, she doesn't wear a bra, which would be sweet.
I don't think a sports bra would be too difficult to put on. However, I fully support your theory of a braless Rin, because she seems like she'd probably be too lazy/apathetic/forgetful to bother with one most of the time. Also because, hey, cripple nipples.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Layzuhl wrote:In the name of SCIENCE I am be pleased to announce that my experiment to put on my pants without using my arms was a success.
The proof is in your pants.
Run Out Groove

Post by Run Out Groove »

Aura wrote:
Run Out Groove wrote:Personally, I would say that Rin is fairly dependent on Emi for some things.
No. The entire point of what I said on the blog was that Rin is not dependent on Emi (or anyone) for pretty much anything.

There are things that are inconvenient but possible, or things that she hasn't gotten around to learn yet (in a world designed for people with hands, doing some stuff can be very unintuitive for someone without) but very few things that are not doable. Most of the stuff Emi does is easily within Rin's own capabilities, but maybe she doesn't realize, or maybe they both just find it more convenient. Maybe Emi is prejudiced to think Rin is more helpless than she really is, or maybe Rin is lazy and likes having a servant. There are many ways you can interpret their relationship.
Yes, but there has to be some level of dependency for anyone, cripple or not, and they could be either physical or mental dependencies. And doesn't that contradict what you're saying though? If she doesn't realize she is able to do it and currently just doesn't know how, wouldn't she have to rely on Emi for that task until she finds a way to do it herself?
Fronzel

Post by Fronzel »

G3n0c1de wrote:she doesn't wear a bra, which would be sweet.
Considering how big Rin's boobs are, going without support and binding sounds like a bad idea.
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

I really can't imagine Rin doing all those stuff alone, but then again I also seen a long time ago a document about a handless woman in America living practically normally. She even could get stuff from pretty high shelves in a shop with her feet, which was pretty amazing.

But still Rin won't build a castle from a card deck.
or... would she?