The extent of Rin's independence.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

DESU

Re: The extent of Rin's independence.

Post by DESU »

Smoku wrote:I really can't imagine Rin doing all those stuff alone, but then again I also seen a long time ago a document about a handless woman in America living practically normally. She even could get stuff from pretty high shelves in a shop with her feet, which was pretty amazing.

But still Rin won't build a castle from a card deck.
or... would she?
well it could be possible. people usually develop fine motor control in their arms, because rin lacks arms and uses her feet for everything, she would have developed fine motor control in her legs and feet.
ImageImage
I white-knighted for Hanako before the rest of you.
>Completion 28%
I got my Hanako path. To me, that's 100% completion.
My steam is my nexus of stuff so yeah. Also I have a chan. Ask me shit.
Shades of Grey

Post by Shades of Grey »

I think the point that Aura is trying to make is that Rin is self sufficient. That is to say, she does not need any special help doing her daily activities and she can do them all alone. Certainly, she may ask Emi for help with things occasionally, but no more than a normal person and not out of necessity but out of convenience. Yes, Run Out Groove, as a social being in social world, she is not completely independent and she cannot live completely isolated from any other human, but this line of reasoning is rather ridiculous. From a practical stand point, she is no more needy or dependent on anyone than a normal person and, as such, is not dependent.
Light and Dark
Good and Evil
Right and Wrong
taken from afar they blend together
and the world appears
all in shades of grey
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

I'm under the impression that Emi does help Rin out with a lot of stuff not so much because her assistance is really needed but because Rin lets her since they're friends.
Extremist_Line

Post by Extremist_Line »

kosherbacon wrote:I'm under the impression that Emi does help Rin out with a lot of stuff not so much because her assistance is really needed but because Rin lets her since they're friends.
Either that or an excuse for yuri. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :mrgreen:
"Anyone can say they're your friend, few can prove it." -Me
Hanako >/= Lilly > Shizune > Emi > Rin
Currently:Finished all but Rin. Taking a break for now.
http://extremistline.deviantart.com/
Shockproof Jamo

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

Layzuhl wrote:In the name of SCIENCE I am be pleased to announce that my experiment to put on my pants without using my arms was a success.
Okay. How did you do it?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Run Out Groove wrote:wouldn't she have to rely on Emi for that task until she finds a way to do it herself?
No. You are still operating on the premise that Rin can't handle her daily life without help. She can. If it's something she has to do repeatedly, she most likely already knows how to do it, or it's something silly or insignificant (she for example is unable to peel oranges without making a mess. Toes are too short to handle the large spheroid easily. Why she hasn't practiced this, who knows. Maybe she doesn't like oranges?) If it's something new and surprising, she might ask anyone who happens to be around and that really can be anyone. Emi is not omnipresent like Misha seems to be to Shizune (mind, Shizune being literate makes her capable of communicating with non-signing people without a human translator too, in the case Misha has to return to her home planet or whatever.)

Re: the actual thread topic: Rin basically does something that looks more or less like this:

Enjoy supar sekret KS developement reference material, straight outta Youtube. Anyway, as I said there are extremely few, if any things that are completely impossible. Rin and other people without hands just need to approach their daily life a little bit differently than the rest of us. Still, being able to work around her disability doesn't void it. Disability is disability, not inability.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Smoku

Post by Smoku »

True, she can do every basic stuff. Pretty educational.
And this solves some Rin mysteries.
KS Conspiracy Theorist

Post by KS Conspiracy Theorist »

Aura wrote:(mind, Shizune being literate makes her capable of communicating with non-signing people without a human translator too, in the case Misha has to return to her home planet or whatever.)
So that's Misha's disability!
Shockproof Jamo

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

Aura wrote:
Run Out Groove wrote:Re: the actual thread topic: Rin basically does something that looks more or less like this:

Hot damn! :shock: That was impressive. Yes, I consider myself well educated now. Though she did "cheat" a bit by using that hook tool with the bra and jeans there. But quite impressive. Especially the part where she started driving the car. Hohoho, oh man. I have been truly ignorant.

This just leaves me wondering... She demonstrated excellent flexibility there. I wonder how badly old age affects that?
Run Out Groove

Post by Run Out Groove »

Aura wrote:
Run Out Groove wrote:wouldn't she have to rely on Emi for that task until she finds a way to do it herself?
No. You are still operating on the premise that Rin can't handle her daily life without help. She can. If it's something she has to do repeatedly, she most likely already knows how to do it, or it's something silly or insignificant (she for example is unable to peel oranges without making a mess. Toes are too short to handle the large spheroid easily. Why she hasn't practiced this, who knows. Maybe she doesn't like oranges?) If it's something new and surprising, she might ask anyone who happens to be around and that really can be anyone. Emi is not omnipresent like Misha seems to be to Shizune (mind, Shizune being literate makes her capable of communicating with non-signing people without a human translator too, in the case Misha has to return to her home planet or whatever.)

Re: the actual thread topic: Rin basically does something that looks more or less like this:

Enjoy supar sekret KS developement reference material, straight outta Youtube. Anyway, as I said there are extremely few, if any things that are completely impossible. Rin and other people without hands just need to approach their daily life a little bit differently than the rest of us. Still, being able to work around her disability doesn't void it. Disability is disability, not inability.
Thanks for clearing that up. Mind you, I do understand that disability does not mean inability, however, in Rin's case, I just really wasn't quite sure how. Although, now I am curious as to why Rin and Emi are placed together if neither of them truly need any help with daily living.
G3n0c1de

Post by G3n0c1de »

Run Out Groove wrote:Thanks for clearing that up. Mind you, I do understand that disability does not mean inability, however, in Rin's case, I just really wasn't quite sure how. Although, now I am curious as to why Rin and Emi are placed together if neither of them truly need any help with daily living.
Because they're friends?
It's a good thing Shizune is deaf, she is the only one who can stand (not) hearing "Wahaha~!" over and over.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

IIRC, it was a decision by the housing department.
Csihar

Post by Csihar »

Well, regardless of whether they can do various things themselves or not, I'm sure a buddy system would still make life a bit easier. It's always nice when you've got somebody looking out for you, also.
"I don't care," said Pierre, "I'm from France."

Now in handy DeviantArt form.

Member22

Post by Member22 »

Csihar wrote:Well, regardless of whether they can do various things themselves or not, I'm sure a buddy system would still make life a bit easier. It's always nice when you've got somebody looking out for you, also.
I agree, but in terms of daily activities, I think she can live alone almost without trouble (provided she has the necessary equipment e.g specialized handles, brushes etc... but anyway, its nice to have a friend with you... but I also think that carrying things can potentially be slightly difficult for rin i.e a lunch tray, unless she has a lunch box/bag or something that she could sling around her shoulder.
"If Hisao took one thing away from his time at Yamaku it was the fact that people who have handicaps don't actually have handicaps. People like Lilly and Shizune are more able-bodied and well-adjusted than most of the kids at Hisao's old high school. He shook his head slightly. No, students at Yamaku weren't handicapped; everyone else was." - WetCrate
Layzuhl

Post by Layzuhl »

Shockproof Jamo wrote:
Layzuhl wrote:In the name of SCIENCE I am be pleased to announce that my experiment to put on my pants without using my arms was a success.
Okay. How did you do it?
Two words: elastic waistband.